DC++ (MayBe)

Dutcho

VIP POOF
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with my internet connection at the moment, it seems noticeable when using dc++ (cos you can see you speed) The problem is that after an unspecified amount of time, could be 5 mins or maybe 6 hours, the connection speed slowly drops on both upload and download to zero.

I contacted my isp about this and they tested the line and said the modem was goosed, they sent a nice new modem and everything seemed ok again.

Over the last couple of days this problem has started again as those on the hub will of experienced while downloading from me.

I uninstalled Zone alarm thinking that maybe the problem and installed Norton instead but got the same problem so I think that rules out the firewall.

Anyone got any surgestions I have also altered the bandwidth limiter to 0% incase that was the problem as well.......

Doinging my napper in now :( ST G

Shouldnt affect BB too much, even it's connected outside on a telegraph pole.
What would be interesting to see is if you can run a traceroute to some IPs or URLs when your connection seems to have stalled. This will probably give you an idea where to look first.

When it stalls, open a command prompt and type tracert www.microsoft.com

THis will show you every single hop(router) the request passes. This way it is easy to determine where your connecitvity is stalled. According to your description it should stop after the first or second hop.

I've had a few problems with ADSL in the past :(.

These included a similar problem, have you listened to your telephone to make sure there is no noise? One of my problems was a defective underground cable.

Dial 151 or whatever the residential service number is and do an automated line test, this is the only way I got BT to listen to me after countless phonecalls, they installed the line testing system and have to obey it's results LOL.

Should consider a name change, everytime someone abbreviates my name, no matter if it is in ICQ/IRC/boards/here it comes down to BK and i feel the urge to get a Quarterpounder :)

Right Bad Karma[CORE], The bandwidth just dropped off but the computer freezes with it, lots of programs stop responding so I was unable to run that program. Only way to unfreeze machine is to unplug modem and it all springs back to life.

Thanks for your help so far Bad Karma[CORE] ;)

Dutcho said:
Thanks for your help so far Bad Karma[CORE] ;)

No prob Dutch :salute:

Seriously, if the whole machine freezes and u cant start any other programs then it's more likely some sort of prob with the modem. How is it connected to your computer ? USB Modem ?

What OS are you using?

Not Windoze ME is it? I got some weird things happening when I used to run that, I had the green flatfish USB modem and the comms was always playing up.

Depending on how your bandwidth limiter works it may have installed a NIC driver component which is causind peoblems, if you have an Ethernet interface.

@Dutcho:
stay with the BK, i'll try not to think of Burgers anymore :p

If it's USB, i assume u got at least two USB root hubs on your system, tried to install it on a different hub ?

Back