Could Norn Iron be going to Euro 2008 ???

jaffa

Inactive User
Reaction score
Uefa has warned Spain they could be thrown out of Euro 2008, which may open the door for Northern Ireland.

Uefa may step in if the Spanish government tries to interfere in the election process of the Spanish FA.
Spain topped their qualifying group for the European Championship, with NI finishing in third place.
"Uefa and Fifa deal with these sort of issues very seriously. These are no empty threats - we will back them up," said Uefa spokesman William Gaillard.
"It is similar to 1992 when Yugoslavia was suspended and Denmark, who finished second in the group, came in," added Gaillard.
Denmark went on to win the tournament in Sweden after beating Germany 2-0 in the final.
Spain and second-placed Sweden qualified for this summer's finals in Austria and Switzerland from Group F, with Nigel Worthington's side missing out.
"We have heard nothing about this," said Irish FA president Raymond Kennedy. "There has been no communication and it is obviously an internal matter."

Source

I hope this doesnt happen as im looking forward to supporting Spain, seeing as England aint there. Im looking forward to seeing how our Spanish Reds do, especially Torres after his season so far.

Spain's too 'big' for UEFA to throw out IMO. If the situation was reversed I think UEFA would throw Northern Ireland out pretty damn quick though.

I hope this doesnt happen as im looking forward to supporting Spain, seeing as England aint there. Im looking forward to seeing how our Spanish Reds do, especially Torres after his season so far.

Never mind what Tores and co do for Spain...support the Brit teams 1st.

Spain's too 'big' for UEFA to throw out IMO. If the situation was reversed I think UEFA would throw Northern Ireland out pretty damn quick though.

Think you are right HappyH, Blatter is just trying to show his muscle and nothing will come of it.

Fingers crossed it happens for Northern Ireland, we really need someone to support.

fifa/uefa dont have the balls to boot out a big nation, it will never happen

Never mind what Tores and co do for Spain...support the Brit teams 1st.

What British team would that be seeing as there isnt any left. I would have supported a Brittish team if there was any in it lol. Like people are saying though UEFA wont have the balls to do it to a 'big' team in my opinion, lets hope not anyways.

Last edited:
What British team would that be seeing as there isnt any left. I would have supported a Brittish team if there was any in it lol. Like people are saying though UEFA wont have the balls to do it to a 'big' team in my opinion, lets hope not anyways.

Mmmmm, I'm quite sure Northern Ireland are part of the British Empire and that's what the thread is about?

You said in your first reply when Jaffa mentioned that Northern Ireland might be going instead of Spain

Your second post is a bit of a contradiction mate?

Last edited:
I meant that i hope spain dont get kicked out, i realise what i said is a contradiction now though lol. If Norn Iron get to go then i will support them but if not then i will follow Spain. But who knows what will happen, anyways they will need to sort it soon as its not far away at all.

I meant that i hope spain dont get kicked out, i realise what i said is a contradiction now though lol. If Norn Iron get to go then i will support them but if not then i will follow Spain. But who knows what will happen, anyways they will need to sort it soon as its not far away at all.

No Worries buddy :)

I see your point now ;)

Fingers crossed it happens for Northern Ireland, we really need someone to support.

by the celtic park location your avatar i presume you are a celtic fan,isnt it a bit of a contradiction to be supporting northern ireland?as it would represent people in the north who favour a union and most people in the north who support celtic would want a republic and so support the republic?

Last edited:
by the celtic park location your avatar i presume you are a celtic fan,isnt it a bit of a contradiction to be supporting northern ireland?as it would represent people in the north who favour a union and most people in the north who support celtic would want a republic and so support the republic?

We tend to keep politics out of sport on this forum or at least try to anyway. Witchy isn't contradicting himself because he would truely support us if we were there. I am from the north and a Rangers fan, yet in world cup USA I supported Ireland as they were the only team there I wanted to see doing well.

It won't happen anyway but it would be great if it did.

We tend to keep politics out of sport on this forum or at least try to anyway. Witchy isn't contradicting himself because he would truely support us if we were there. I am from the north and a Rangers fan, yet in world cup USA I supported Ireland as they were the only team there I wanted to see doing well.

It won't happen anyway but it would be great if it did.

no offence,I was just curious:)

Spain should be kicked out for their racism, and not for interference into elections. But its never going to happen, spain would appeal, and blatter would relinquish. Its sad but true, blatter talks the talk, but cant do nothing. Although I bet if it was England, he would already have kicked them out. He seems to have a big problem with England in general.

no offence,I was just curious:)

No offence taken at all m8, nothing wrong in asking a question.

Spain should be kicked out for their racism, and not for interference into elections. But its never going to happen, spain would appeal, and blatter would relinquish. Its sad but true, blatter talks the talk, but cant do nothing. Although I bet if it was England, he would already have kicked them out. He seems to have a big problem with England in general.

You are spot on there Janobi, I also think Blatter is as corrupt as they come and he really does have a bee in his bonnet about England.

No offence taken at all m8, nothing wrong in asking a question.

You are spot on there Janobi, I also think Blatter is as corrupt as they come and he really does have a bee in his bonnet about England.

Big time mate, he hates them. lol. All of fifa is corrupt mate. Money talks and bullshit walks. Just look at when Fifa blocked that English guy joining the council, as blatter didn't like him or something. Blatter should be hounded out of Fifa, and the same with Platini at UEFA. Both are pompus idiots.

i hope it happens.. i think Spain is the biggest let down..

yes a more bigger let down than England.. the Spanish national team have not won shit..
and though England won the world cup in 1966 they still have one to their name..

but yea.. Northen Ireland was unlucky to not make it.. so i hope this happens

i hope it happens.. i think Spain is the biggest let down..

yes a more bigger let down than England.. the Spanish national team have not won shit..
and though England won the world cup in 1966 they still have one to their name..

but yea.. Northen Ireland was unlucky to not make it.. so i hope this happens

Spain have excellent individuals, same as England, but they either bottle it, or cant play as a team.

Back