Combi or standard

gez

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got a 35 year old boiler, control heating and hot water, just doesn't break down but probably not very efficient now days, water is as hot as hell on minimum setting. Tank in the loft boiler down stairs , it hideaway floor standing type, spares no longer available.
Thinking of replacing it in summer, 3 bed, shower no bath, 7 radiators, end townhouse, well insulated.
What's best floor type boiler or Combi type.

Few week old thread but I've had a few over the years. My tip is from a mistake I did, make sure your if you get a combi it has pre heat.
This means it keeps an amount of hot water so your not stood there waiting an age for hot water to arrive at the tap.

Also make sure it's enough juice. My new Baxi was bought in a rush and the lack of funds at the time I bought it forced my arm when it comes to choice.
I thought my Vaillant combi was brilliant till it conked.
My old Vaillant combi was twice the price of my new Baxi
But
It was twice as good

Reactions: gez
Decided going for a Worcester Bosch Combi , 28 kWh, fitted in march, local firm, good trust pilot reviews etc. Hopefully it will be reliable. Just supplying bathroom sink and kitchen sink plus central heating, got power shower so should be adequate.

I heard there good and 28w about right. As soon as I can afford it this Baxi's coming out of here and I'll prob go for a Worcester myself.

I have Worcester green star 28k. Had it fitted 2013 and all I have had done was the blow off valve changed in warranty.
Then two years ago I had to change the keyless filling loop mechanism as a seal had gone and it kept slowly filling up which was increasing the pressure over time.
Bought a new one from plumb centre £25 and changed it myself, which was pretty easy tbh.

Decided going for a Worcester Bosch Combi , 28 kWh, fitted in march, local firm, good trust pilot reviews etc. Hopefully it will be reliable. Just supplying bathroom sink and kitchen sink plus central heating, got power shower so should be adequate.
Hey Gez
How much are you paying for that mate?
I just had a quote for Worcester Bosch .30 Combi condenser with 10 year parts and labour warranty. Thought it was a bit pricey

Hey Gez
How much are you paying for that mate?
I just had a quote for Worcester Bosch .30 Combi condenser with 10 year parts and labour warranty. Thought it was a bit pricey
Screenshot_2022-02-11-09-20-55-702~2.jpeg

Please find below your quotation as requested:To provide and fit a Bosch Worcester 4000 30KWcondensing boiler to be fitted in the existing boiler position complete with a standard flue and Bosch Worcester magnetic system filter. All Bosch Worcester products fitted at the same time as the boiler will also come with a 10 year parts and labour guarantee(subject to an annual service of the boiler to meet the manufacturers requirements, which is chargeable extra to the customer at the time of the service by the person carrying out the service). Quote also includes to provide and fit a lime-scale filter fitted to the mains water pipe below the boiler, 15mm shock arrester and we will reconnect existing thermostat.The condensate will drop in bedroom on the party wall to the bathroom and will drill through under the bath where it will connect into the bath waste.The heating system will be chemically flushed out and an inhibitor added to protect the system. All old materials will be removed from site where possible (with the exception of any asbestos type materials, if found) and we will make good to any internal/external walls where necessary. The quote includes all labour, copper, fittings and materials necessary to carry out the work.The total price is £2,280.00inclusive of VAT.

Few week old thread but I've had a few over the years. My tip is from a mistake I did, make sure your if you get a combi it has pre heat.
This means it keeps an amount of hot water so your not stood there waiting an age for hot water to arrive at the tap.

Also make sure it's enough juice. My new Baxi was bought in a rush and the lack of funds at the time I bought it forced my arm when it comes to choice.
I thought my Vaillant combi was brilliant till it conked.
My old Vaillant combi was twice the price of my new Baxi
But
It was twice as good
I bought a baxi and you can set preheat on them BUT you need the baxi wall control thermostat. Unfortunately it’s a hard wired system but easy to connect. I connected mine to opentherm connections on the boiler and enabled the preheat function. The baxi ap is pretty good and akin to hive.

I bought a baxi and you can set preheat on them BUT you need the baxi wall control thermostat. Unfortunately it’s a hard wired system but easy to connect. I connected mine to opentherm connections on the boiler and enabled the preheat function. The baxi ap is pretty good and akin to hive.
I'd be interested a pre heat setup for a Baxi, any model links please m8 ?.
At the moment I have a cheap wireless timer. The receiver part is hard wired to the boiler upstairs, the wireless controller in the living room

It was a big oversight on my part when I bought it plus I was skint. It couldn't have blown at a worse time.
It's definitely going this summer, it's a cracking little basic combi but not suitable for my needs.

Back