Is my Room Thermostat broken?

Goldberg

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Howdy, only Goldberg on the leech for home help again....

Our Central Heating has decided to play up, just at the right time of year and even better timing with a baby due any second now!
We have recently decorated the full house and installed new radiators. Once installed they were all good and everything seemed ready for the winter months.

Now it is winter we are struggling to get all of the radiators heated and when they do heat, getting them to heat all the way through..

The first problem I had was at the weekend. After bleeding the radiators, I was having a problem with the boiler firing up and then stopping. This was for the heating only, water is fine. (This is a gravity system, not a combi boiler due to the water pressure where we live).
I did some jiggery pokery and managed to get it to come on, although not very hot.
So, after some interwebbing I went about balancing the radiators. This seemed great, all the radiators are getting heat, but some still heating more than others and nearly all of them have a cold patch down the bottom and as a result the house is not as hot as we would like..

The Room Thermostat is in the hallway, with coincidentally the hottest radiator in the house. This has never caused a problem before, but I am wondering if the issue is the that the thermostat is broken and causing the water to not heat enough ??

How long do they last? Can they break down and cause things like this to happen? Any other advice?

Tonight I am going to turn the TRV off on the hallway radiator and then put the heating on to see if I then get hotter radiators in the other rooms.
Secondly I am going to bypass the room thermostat if at all possible...

But if anyone knows if these room thermostats can go wrong? It is a Honeywell T6360 (old model, at least 6 years old) and will only cost £15-£20 to replace or £30 if I go for a digi one.

Cheers

Why not turn the thermostat up to mAX and see if all the radiators get fully hot.
Also Listen carefully as you turn the thermostat up, and you should here it clicking on/off as you pass the current room temp

Does your CH Pump have a pressure setting, if so is it set to MAX ?

hi If you are going to replace your room themostat I recommend this one SALUS DIGITAL WIRELESS ELECTRONIC THERMOSTAT RT300RF Brand New Stock | eBay it is easy to fit as a replacement and it is wireless so can be placed in any room I Had a very similar problem with my living room only getting warm after having the heating on maximum for six hours after fitting this thermostat the living room is now a comfortable 21 degrees

They do fail but six years old is not ancient. If hot water is fine then you can pretty much rule out the boiler. I'd check diverter valve is not sticking - it's often near the pump, possibly in the airing cupboard. Get someone to operate the thermostat while you watch/listen to the valve. There's also a manual actuator on most of them. You could also pop the motor off the top and check the valve is free - it should move easily using just your fingers.

Back