Cold Turkey

hawkish

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
After Smoking 10 - 15 a day for 15 years I have stopped cold turkey, I have tried with patches, electronic ciggies and inhilators before and they are all crap as they give you something else to blame. Last one was 10pm on monday so thats 45 hours ago and counting. I am getting pangs and feelings of running to the shop at the end of the road this evening so im hoping this will stop in the next couple of days.

Has anyone else gone cold turkey and stuck it out? I am pretty headstrong so i really fancy my chances. I am told that you are considered officially quit if you go for 3 weeks without a fag / nicotine replacement. Ill keep you posted

I went cold turkey, i've been nearly 6 years without now, i used a paul mckenna cd, used to put it on when i went to bed, and fall to sleep with it, I now hate the smell of smoke, and the smell of stale smoke on people. ;)

Just hold out, the pangs will soon go ;)

Dont be scared to treat yourself every time you go past a week with something from the money you've saved ;)

1st time after 10 years of smoking 20+ a day I lasted 6 months. Smoked for another 3 years then went cold turkey again and not smoked since 2006. Drink lots more though :banana:

I did it m8 and that was nearly 30 years ago now :) I was a 30 to 40 a day man especially in the pub ! I just stopped outright, for me it was really easy the first 2 to 3 weeks and then it got really hard until about the 3 to 4 month mark then slowly got better, I hit the milestones - 6 months, 1 year, 2 years etc and knew after 6 months I would never start again, just need to get your head around it m8,

You can do it :)

you've done the hardest part already ;)

Had last cig 27th Nov 2004 after many years of tryin to kill myself with Benson & Hedges.Just decided that I didnt wanna do it anymore.You don't need medicines,patches or cds...just do it for yourself and your family.You cant do things as well when you smoke...and you feckin stink!!!

i went cold turkey and havent smoked for 6 years now....

when i had cravings i just thought about the harm smoking does to you...

imagine things like tar black lungs and and oxygen bottles and tubes running all round the house cause you cant breath properly..

those cravings will soon stop just hold out and you wont regret it..

be strong mate.....

when i had cravings i just thought about the harm smoking does to you..
I'll second that.I'd seen people die unhappy cos of it and I had recently become a lone dad.I could not bear the thought of telling my daughter she would be on her own if I was gonna die through my own stupidity and selfishness...and I stank haha!!

Stick at it mate dont let the devil try and blag you do you have kids if so think about them visiting you in hospital or even being at your funeral.

i went cold turkey-purely to prove to folk i could -everyone round me-friends-partner-parents and in laws all tried and failed

1 day i just thought -surely it aint that hard so jacked it in

i was smoking 25-30 a day

and i can honestly say i found it really really easy done 4 month so far-no pangs cravings or anything

agree with above medicins ,inhalors ect all just give you an excuse for failing to quit

if you want to quit you will,.if you dont you wont simple really

I went cold turkey, i've been nearly 6 years without now, i used a paul mckenna cd, used to put it on when i went to bed, and fall to sleep with it, I now hate the smell of smoke, and the smell of stale smoke on people. ;)

Just hold out, the pangs will soon go ;)

Dont be scared to treat yourself every time you go past a week with something from the money you've saved ;)

I was never a heavy smoker and didn't really smoke for long, but I listened to the Paul McKenna CD only once and it worked for me.

I'm sure everyone here will tell you that once you stop and look back, you can't believe how much health and well-being it sucks out of you. It truly is disgusting, and once you get that perspective, you will never go back.

I was never a heavy smoker and didn't really smoke for long, but I listened to the Paul McKenna CD only once and it worked for me.

I'm sure everyone here will tell you that once you stop and look back, you can't believe how much health and well-being it sucks out of you. It truly is disgusting, and once you get that perspective, you will never go back.
i have to disagree i dont feel any better for stoping,infact id say i feel worse,dont really see the financial benefit either

i wont be starting again cos i know im not wasting money on them now--but i do think that a lot of ex smokers overstate the benefits--
i also dont mind others smoking round me nor do i find them "disgusting"

i am glad i dont do it anymore

i have to disagree i dont feel any better for stoping,infact id say i feel worse,dont really see the financial benefit either

i wont be starting again cos i know im not wasting money on them now--but i do think that a lot of ex smokers overstate the benefits--

I agree completely m8,in fact since I have quit my asthma has returned after being gone for 30 years and my breathing is now far worse then it was when I smoked,

But having said that I am glad I quit and I have no inclination to go back on them after 2 1/2 years ;)

Geez, so many contradictions in there mate lol. Teeth, gums, smell, fingers, tiredness, shortness of breath, irritability, lack of energy... the list is endless, and if you truely didn't notice any benefits, which I flat out refuse to believe, then it might say more about your overall general health and lifestyle choices than it does about the non benefit of quiting smoking.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk

I had a chat to the people that helped me stop smoking (went to one of those groups) anyway on talking to some of the experts informally there are a few myths surrounding stopping smoking. 1st off you won't actually start to feel the benefits for over a year thats how long it will take all the muck and crud to leave your system and you have to have an exercise regime even if it's walking half an hour a day. Secondly if you don't actually leave aside the money that you would have put up in smoke you won't be financially better off either because you always found money for fags, same as drinkers same as junkies you tend to absorb it into your finances and convince yourself your no better off. Actually save it get a big tin put a fiver in it a day open it in a year and tell me your no better off, I did and just booked a holiday for 5 to canaries in July. Like most things in life if you set out in the right frame of mind to achieve something you generally do ;)

1st time I stopped was having the occasional spliff and ended up starting again. but got that bad I could hardly walk to the nearest bus stop.

so after 30 years I just stopped Cold Turkey that was about 5 years ago and not had a single drag of a cigarette. sometimes I get a little twinge but just remember how bad I was. still not in great shape health wise, but know I did the right thing. my mrs stopped a couple of years after me, and none of my kids smoke so total smoke free zone in my house..

I went cold turkey on the ciggies a few years back, it was easier than I expected, I was smoking about 15 a day maybe, the hardest part was deciding to do it but once I was underway I wasn't too bad, only time I fancy the odd fag now is if I'm really drunk! Just stick it out and know you won't be feeling crazy forever! It's well worth it mate :)

1. 'I don't feel any better for stopping smoking'

why the hell does that matter? u stop smoking so that you dont get any worse.a lot of people don't start to deteriorate through smoking til they hit their 40's or 50's so if u stop when your younger ur less likely to feel 'cured' overnight.

2.'I don't see the financial benefit of stopping'

WTF?? So what are u doing with the money that u were spending on fags? is that not a benefit to you?

The main benefit of stopping is that you are less likely to die from lung cancer or other smoking related diseases - is that not enough?

Back