Clone boxes destroyed by gemini

thats nasty.. there are so many people who have bought the clones.. what about them.. £70 etc is alot.. and its shocking that a group of developers decide to bring a virus and kill these boxes...

we as a community should boycot the image and I request the mods to delete the image from the download section.

i thought they only put it in one image and changed back for the next one but ive never used it, its dw 2.0 all the way!!!!!!!

The killer virus was coded from dream multimedia and is included in the latest driver package.
It looks like if the special driver detect a clone box the driver erase the boot block.
Every brandnew image which is compiled with the latest driver package from DMM include the killer virus.

how does it detect a clone? does it check the mac address?

Surely there's some very serious legal implications for Dream Multimedia with this. You can't just go around destroying someone else's property, which in many case was purchased in good faith. It's a bit like Microsoft not only disabling Vista if you haven't got a valid license, but also deliberately frying the motherboard in your PC. I'm sure they'll claim it was a bug, but I can't see how it can be. And why do this now, when they've stopped making the 500? Maybe it's just a way to force people into upgrading to the 500+, which as far as I can tell would be a pointless upgrade. What use is the extra flash memory anyway?

Due to the comments in some german boards the bootloader is copyright by and property of DMM and they simply disable their own property at clone boxes.

It looks like the killer virus is coded into the head.ko.

Last edited:
is this in the cvs now ?

NO not yet m8 this is where the confusion has come from :)
there hasnt been a upgrade on the driver for dm500 for sometime now. they must have been sent it by dmm

cheers

osborne82

The gemini developers argue the drivers are straight from the cvs.

the gemini team might be in trouble!

German law, translated roughly..

(1) who disturbs a data processing, which is for another of substantial importance, thus substantially that he 1. an act after § 303a Abs. 1 commits, 2nd data (§ 202a Abs. 2) with the intention of causing to another disadvantage or conveys or 3. enters a data-processing system or a data medium destroyed, damaged, useless makes, eliminated or changes, with imprisonment up to three years or with fine one punishes. (2) if it concerns a data processing, which is for a strange enterprise, a strange enterprise or an authority of substantial importance, the punishment is imprisonment up to five years or fine. (3) the attempt is punishable. (4) in particularly heavy cases of the paragraph 2 is the punishment imprisonment from six months to ten years. A particularly heavy case is usually present, if the author 1. causes a fortune loss of large extent, 2. professionally or as a member of a gang acts, which was connected for continued committing of computer sabotage, 3. by the act the supply of the population with vital goods or services or the security of the Federal Republic of Germany impaired. (5) for the preparation for a criminal offence in accordance with paragraph 1 § 202c applies accordingly.

In other words from what i am told, those who develop a data processing system (Gemini image on db500) with intention to destroy can expect a prison sentence of three years+ for committing of computer sabotage.....

wether the boxes are clones or not, the fact is that the chinese factory who developed the dreambox are still genuinely selling legit sat boxes without the dreamlogo..........So i perceive that this blatant destruction of property may not go unmissed....

Last edited:
infact i have tried to buy legit boxes from the main uk dreambox guy, he just dosn't want to know...

response from german lawyer roughly translated....

As a lawyer I see in such a way. The Dreambox is delivered with a software and exactly for this software conditions has DMM in the context of the guarantee to in-be entitled. If the hardware exhibits a defect, DMM has to likewise carry guarantee out. If now act they install the user an alternative software for the enterprise of their box on a danger. DMM cannot be taken up thereby. DMM develops software and driver for YOUR hardware and not for clones. Drivers are now times ClosedSource, and if routines are contained in which prevent the fact that YOUR software/drivers run only on YOUR hardware are this legitimately and does innumerable manufacturers exactly the same. See Apple with IP-HONE, to Mac, etc.. If in the Gemini image drivers are contained those from DMM come and on their boxes runs and the Gemini team points out expressly that the image runs at the same time only on the original box and excludes any adhesion - which they can do, since the software FREE is made available - then the Gemini team cannot be sued. I would expect to a complaint with large leaving.

but he has forgot to mention that no team or even gemini informed users of the above..nor the fact that the sellers of clones did not inform buyers that they are clones, infact the first alleged clones i purchased i was told that they were reconditioned boxes...

response from gemini team roughly translated..

Nevertheless to use none forced the DMM own soft or the Gemini image on its box. I find to everyone must it be permitted to protect its mental property against bad use.... Which I understand not completely am the whole reproaches against the Gemini team. I take times to that the team did not know that the new drivers contain this functionality.... as can one for you then a reproach make?

I think this argument is down to who really owns the dreambox, if designed and built in china, then maybe its the chinese and dream have over stepped their mark.

its all very interesting and i am following closely the arguments that are now pursuing..!

another response from gemini...

DMM has already weeks ago admits given to want to proceed against clones. Gemini already referred to weeks ago after that the software runs only on original boxes. Who then Gemini on clones installed IS DEBT!!!!!!! It took consciously in purchase to install a software, which is not intended for equipment (= clone).

Gemini Team are now stating that the software runs only on original boxes and that all users were informed of same.

What about users with Eurovox Ultra and the eagle boxes that don't claim to be Dreambox 500C's - could it be argued that they are based on the design and run the same image, but are not clones?

Just a thought, whats to stop Gemini doing the same to 500C/T etc????
DW 2.0 is based on gemini? Maybe its already in image?

Someone reasure me please:)

Just a thought, whats to stop Gemini doing the same to 500C/T etc????
DW 2.0 is based on gemini? Maybe its already in image?

Someone reasure me please:)

dw2 is based of plain cvs enigma not gemini :) different teams :) :) the virus/worm/bug is in head.ko closed source from DMM

cheers

osborne82

Back