cat5e problem heeeelllllllllppppp!!!!!!1

Hill all just thought I would let you all know that I decided to go with the power line adaptors and they work a treat with a wireless AP on the end of them to give me wireless at the furthest point of my house.
Cheers for all your advice.
Wh1tey.

Sorry - I know you have your solution now, but just for others who may read this thread :-

Proper cat5e cable will communicate over 100M and although it can pick up noise, it is unlikely to be effected by normal 'home' equipment.

While I am sure you wired the pin out correctly to the rj45 it is also crucial that you use the correct colours. Failure to use the correct wires in the cable WILL result in either no communication or possibly systems working at 10 Meg instead of 100 Meg.

There was mention in this thread of a 'booster' - if you want to communicate over 100M then put in a switch midway and you can double your distance.

As for using powerline - these can be a good solution, but it is important to know that like wireless, these are sold to work at 'upto' a certain speed. If you have a noisy environment then it is also likely that the mains will be noisy and speed will be degraded.

Anyway glad you got a workable solution.

Mike

The 'upto' speed you describe varies depending on the devices you get. I have Devolo 200mbps adapters, but I only get 100mbps - always.

A switch would have worked, but would have introduced a seperate point of failure in the network.

I am glad the powerline kit is working out, in residential situations like this, I have never known it to be a disappointment.

Back