cat5e problem heeeelllllllllppppp!!!!!!1

wh1tey

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello
I have decided to run a long network cable from my belkin router to a bedroom where the wireless is out of reach. I have run the cable and terminated the ends and then plugged in my lan testers and all 8 pins showed as connected, Then I plugged the cable into the router and then into my laptop but all I get is identifying network followed by unidentified network I plugged my lan testers back in and the pins then showed as in correct. I have made several cables now and each time I get the same thing, as anyone got any ideas??

i would say the run is 50 - 60 feet and i have terninated the ends using rj45 connectors and a crimping tool

both ends of the cable are crimped in exactly the same way. if it is a signal problem due to lengh of cable is there any sort of booster i can purchase??

you can buy boosters, and I guess if you are just using one cable then it wouldnt cause a problem.

You need to take a look for a cat5 ethernet booster on google. It will need to be placed along the cable and near a socket.

if you take your pc to the belkin and use a standard eth cable to test, does this work? If it does then after checking the wiring of standard cable - pin to pin make sure that your your made up cable matches this. Remember test one thing at a time, too many try to test to much at once then wonder why they get confused.
good luck....

i would say the run is 50 - 60 feet and i have terninated the ends using rj45 connectors and a crimping tool

that is well within the spec, i think its something like 100m total cabling on any subnet.

as nivlem said do 1 thing at a time, check pc locally with cable first if ok look again at your longer cable.

it is within the spec, but at this length in a house full of other electrical equipment and with an unsheilded cable, it may be the cause of the problems.

Last edited:
A house will not cause a problem. It is twisted pair and that is fine even in heavy industry with high voltage and emf. They will still work upto 130 meters before signal degradation.

Some routers have a MDI-X ports make sure you aint plugging it into that.

I am going to disagree with you there, whilst the house isnt the cause the stuff in it may be, Such as telephone lines, electrical lines, gas pipes etc. Each of these will cause interference. I have seen this many times.

Unlike offices, that have ducting designed to take these cables, our houses do not. Even though the spec states 100m, this depends on the router or switch - this guy probably does not have a £300 router in his house that can properly manage this.

As for the mdi-x, if the make/model is posted then the spec can be checked.

Have you ever been in a Paper Mill?? You have High Voltage Motors (450A ) with Thyristor Drives . That generate an amazing amount of Magnetic Interference. There you can find data cables running next to the motor cables, sometimes in the same cable tray.

A house does not generate enough interference. Most telephone lines are not twisted pair, and if you know understand what the twist does you will know where I am coming from!

Actually, yes, I used to work in a paper mill years ago.

It doesnt really matter what you think the problem is, the important thing is to give mhim options. You have given yours and I have given mine so with any luck he will be able to solve this and get up and running.

I do, however, think powerline ethernet will be better in the long run for him.

It was called wansborough paper mill in Watchet. Worked there in 1994 whilst doing part of my DofE for 4 weeks. So not comprehensive nor was it really anything to do with the mill itself (I wasnt allowed every where due to health and safety).

I basically sorted out bales of scrap paper for recycling.

I know Wansborough I was there a few weeks ago. So you would have seen the paper machines and all the ancillary control equipment then.

I got a brief tour and was shown some of the machines, yup. But I was never allowed in without supervision incase I damaged my hearing or something - but this was 14 years ago and I am sure things are very different now.

Other than that, I just did my bit to gain the community service part for my DofE.

Back