VU+ Solo cant update to v2/v3

Mygalomorphae

Inactive User
Reaction score
Ive bricked the SoloPro - no biggy as its only €40 but I got the new Toshiba Chip and got that replaced (in a proper shop that does it for a living ;)) so the red light issue is gone now and it looks like its booting from USB again but doesn't take any of the safe images I have - so I assumed it must be the v1 (that would make sense)
I want to do the "secret update" to v2/v3 so Im using Win7 PC with the USB2Serial + NullRS232 and the app doesn't even see the solo
I used the exact same PC & cables I used for my solo2 which took the update just fine
I though it must be something else F..ed so I left it for a while and got another SoloPro (in new chase - like the DM500) that one must be v2 as it did take the Ferrari v2a OpenPLi4 image but it also doesn't take the "secret update"
so now Im confused
does anyone have an idea what Im doing wrong / how to get it updated now?

It had the solid red light and did not boot from USB - the Chinese advised to replace the chip (they post it to me for free as it was not worth to post the box back) - this chip is now replaced and the box boots from USB (I can see all the stages) but in the end it does not boot up - I guess because I use the OpenPLi image which requires v2
I'd like to update it to V2 but it just doesn't take it - the funny thing is that the other soloPro I have is V2 (it took the OpenPLi image just fine) and the windows update app doesn't see it either
but the very same PC & cable worked with my solo2 so now Im lost why it doesn't work with the SoloPro (two of them)

It had the solid red light and did not boot from USB - the Chinese advised to replace the chip (they post it to me for free as it was not worth to post the box back) - this chip is now replaced and the box boots from USB (I can see all the stages) but in the end it does not boot up - I guess because I use the OpenPLi image which requires v2
I'd like to update it to V2 but it just doesn't take it - the funny thing is that the other soloPro I have is V2 (it took the OpenPLi image just fine) and the windows update app doesn't see it either
but the very same PC & cable worked with my solo2 so now Im lost why it doesn't work with the SoloPro (two of them)

Well to prove the box hardware is ok and the chip was installed properly flash a image from early 2013 those should run on it regardless of the version type.

even the box is "dead" it still doesn't explain why the other SoloPro is not recognised by the flash update software (and its running the Latest Ferrari v2a OpenPLi4) - as soon as I get this working I'll manage to get the "bricked" one back to life ;)

I suggest to try smaller in size image it could be blackhole v1.4.2, on some clones it is not possible to use large size images.

thanks for the tip but this is not the problem Im trying to solve (read the thread subject)
I have another SoloPro running Ferrari v2a OpenPLi4 (I don't want to try older images) - I just want to get the bootloader/flash update working

thanks for the tip but this is not the problem Im trying to solve (read the thread subject)
I have another SoloPro running Ferrari v2a OpenPLi4 (I don't want to try older images) - I just want to get the bootloader/flash update working

You have had a faulty board and replaced the Tosh chip. If the secret update is not working maybe it because of the fault that made the chip replacement necessary . The advice to flash a older image is to make sure the box is functional if it wont take and older image its duff and will never take the update to v3

Ferret I got that ;) For now forget the "bricked" SoloPro and focus on the one that's working ;)
I'd like to get the secupd111230.exe working with the SoloPro I know is 100% fine - why is it not recognising it?
I used the exact same PC & cable that successfully worked with the solo2 - should it not just work with the SoloPro? - thats the issue Im trying to solve here (maybe Im using wrong program, or wrong cable, or wrong OS)

Last edited:
Not sure what type of cable comes with the solo2 although id suspect null

Are these the instructions your using ?

and DO not use a usb2serial it won't work

- Step 1
Keep the box Powered OFF

- Step 2 Updating of Secret chip
Please make update of the secret chip.Use renewaes solo software (secupd111230.exe) to update it.Connect RS232 small board with RS232 cable to computer COM port.Then run secupd111230.exe (please take a note of the right COM port) , and open solo scret.bin file and THEN Power ON solo receiver.You will see update progress bar- Wait till it finish and then close it.Power OFF the box.

- Step 3 Updating of Flash chip
Box remaining in OFF position.
Please make update flash chip.Connect RS232 small board with RS232 cable to computer COM port(if you had remove it by any reason). Start renewflash.exe, and choose upflash120227.bin file and hit the UPDATE button, THEN Power ON solo receiver. You will see update progress bar- Wait till it finish and then close it.Leave the box as it is.

- Step 4 -Erase Flash chip.
Connect RS232 small board with RS232 cable to computer COM port(if you had remove it by any reason).Run ERASE126.exe and click ERASE button.Power OFF and then Power ON. Do NOT do reset of the box.
You will see update progress bar- Wait till it finish and then close it.Power OFF the box.
Those are all steps for the updates

- Step 5 Loading CFE boot loader
Use cfe_solo_2.0 file -load it to a usb pen drive and then, make update.

- Step 6 Flashing Image
Choose your Favourite image load it to the usb pen drive and then ,make update.

Ya that's what Im doing
on the Step2 - the progress bar doesn't even move and the SoloPro boots up without taking the update via Console cable
but
I do use the USB2Console cable as I don't have the COM on my PC - do you think this is why it doesn't work? (It did work with solo2, the RS232 is 100% null as I use it with CISCO/Junipers/Mikrotiks/Ceragons and other network stuff I work with every day)
If that's what it is I'll have to take it to work and use a desktop PC (but I've never came across console port not working with my usb2serial cable ;) - this will be the very first one)

Last edited:
Connect RS232 small board with RS232 cable to computer COM port
This is the last part Im missing - I don't have that board and I can't find what it actually does
232board.png
Any idea what it does? I'll buy it if I know what to look/ask for ;)

I I finally managed to update to v3 :excited:
no need for RS232 board - I just used my USB2Serial + Null Modem Cable + UPDATE TOOLS_20140508
I also checked it on the Desktop with COM + Null Modem Cable + UPDATE TOOLS_20140508 and works too
so I was using wrong update tool :bangshead:

mi deco only works with OpenPli 3. Do you know what chip version has ?

Back