can we have a cctv section

brian0812

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi all can we have a cctv section please as im sure it will make a very good edition to the forums after all cctv is all over the place now

Q: Do we make it a CCTV section or Security Section covering Cctv, Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms, Access Control?
I know there are several electricians on here and at least 2 Intruder/Cctv engineers

Security Section forum sounds good to me

Cracking idea I've been toying with the idea of a CCTV system for a while.

Why not use the current AV section? It is after all just another version of video recording.

Most questions that are asked in the AV section could be applied to CCTV, e.g, Cable routing, signal issues, wireless etc..

Why not use the current AV section? It is after all just another version of video recording.

Most questions that are asked in the AV section could be applied to CCTV, e.g, Cable routing, signal issues, wireless etc..

why whats wrong with a forum for cctv it go,s with the current forum range so lets have a forum for it

a security or home security section would defo be a good addition, it might not be a well used 1 but handy when needed as members will at least see the right guys to ask money saving questions/solutions

its a completey different ball game so many different avenues mental, base band video from source can be a very unpredicable beast but for a small home setup i agree with you not to different depends on what you want to achieve.

I have been thinking about exploring the cctv avenue as well as the home automation avenue. I defo think that these to sections would be worth setting up as they are sure to grow in the future. Plenty of X10 stuff out there on the market and its getting cheaper by the day. I think both would work well together in one section with different sub headings perhaps.

Sorry that no one of the mods or admin have replied until now.

Where would this section go?

Maybe we could set up a poll see how many are interested?

Regards
Mick

General Diy or maybe a new section called Home Security with a few sub sections covering Alarms,CCTV, Locks, Lighting, Fire Alarm Systems, Elderly Alert, Intercom/Access systems,, very sure this would be a first for any forum, as iv said dont know how well it would be used but would be good addition an who knows it might even do wel,,, need to be aware though of sharing some info that a crook could learn from, i.e resetting Alarm, CCTV & Entry systems

Surely your not saying that crooks frequent DW lol
The info given out so far won't aid the crook it will only hinder them

I think at first the section will be lacking but as with all great sections they slowly build its knowledge base the more people move towards the subject. Given time im sure if any area is looking for growth its in the afore mentioned areas. I feel it could eventualy be the area in which may seperate our forum from all others as long as we get in there first and start the knowledge base growing before others. We are talking years as appose to weeks and months but hey nothing ventured and all that. Worst comes to worst you just send the section into the archives if its not performing, but it must be given time. General DIY says to me though get your shovels out and heres how to plaster your walls etc. something a bit more defined should be the heading... What I dont know....

Mick, I haven't posted yet but I think it might be an idea just to do a "small" restructure.

The only reason I say this is because there are times when I'm not quite sure where to place threads; for example:

- If you choose "Mobile Phones" from the top banner menu it lists only the "Mobile Phone & Android Hacking" no iPhone section.
- This same section is also used for Android Tablets but there isn't an Android Tablet section, but there is for iPad, would it not be best to break these off into a Tablet Area?
- It was mentioned previously about having a "modding" section in the PC area? (Overclocking, case mods, water cooling etc)
- There still appear to be tonnes of out of date stickies, and things which probably are important not being stickied. I thought the mod's where cleaning these up?

- Who's Madbomber? lol - This section seems to include Xbox, PC, PSVita etc, but is under Console Modifications? Does it not make sense to keep PC Gaming in PC and Console Gaming in Consoles?

I know it's difficult given the number of areas and the way things cross so Ignore me at your will, just some suggestions/observations :)

i think it needs its own small section on the forums as it will make it easy to find and there are a lot of topics this may cover

I never really saw the need for this area but after my 83 year old mother inlaw was flashed on her doorstep earlier this week I got a 2 camera system from fleabay and installed it today.
It would have been nice if we had a section so I could have had a read up first. As it goes very impressed with the system we bought and setting it up was a doddle.

I'll have a read through this thread and sort it over the weekend

Sent from my iPhone

a cctv bit sounds good ,are you thinking of hacks or putting one in for your self.

i think it needs its own small section on the forums as it will make it easy to find and there are a lot of topics this may cover .

well it covers lots but just adding a cctv room sounds good their is a room that could cover this ,but what will it cover hacks or fixing your own,if its hacks yes and your own no av would be better ,you cant offer hacks in open fourm.

Back