can someone help me my mum is driving me nuts

jase02476

Inactive User
Reaction score
can this be done my mum had bt broadband and she has only got one phone socket down sters but the computer is upsters so i went and got a linksys wireless broadband router for downsters and a wireless lan pci card for the computer but i have never done wireless before on the computer it sez its conected to the linksys and it sez the signall is brillient but it just will not connect to the internet can someone help me plz thanx as i have never done wireless before thanx :Chainsaw:

Hi mate I got the same problem with my, wireless router, the computer connects to the router but there is no internet on the other. I just got so frustrated I just left it, 65 quid wasted!

1st I moved this to the right room....;)

anyway

This is the way have my network setup

Doing thing high up the range so

Router is xxx.xxx.xxx.250
Printserver xxx.xxx.xxx.251
Bridge xxx.xxx.xxx.252

PC's

Server xxx.xxx.xxx.1 Wired
Lappy 1 xxx.xxx.xxx.2 Wireless
Lappy 2 xxx.xxx.xxx.3 Wireless
PDA xxx.xxx.xxx.4 Wireless
XBOX xxx.xxx.xxx.5 Wireless via bridge.

As you can see I do not use DHCP, pain in the ass.

Before we setup security we get the network working.

So Server is hard wired with a i
IP of xxx.xxx.xxx.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.250 < Note Router IP address

DNS Primary from ISP
DNS Secondary from ISP

Your router will tell you these when connected to BB.

Follow these instructions and you should be onto a winner.

remember wired and wireless have exactly the same basic config. the only diference is the security required

IS security enabled on the router??

if so this could be blocking the internet signal, althjough i doubt this is your problem because if this was the case then it would just not connect at all.

check that the CROSSOVER cable is connected from the modem to the router and not a standard one.

Mairyhinge said:
1st I moved this to the right room....;)

anyway

This is the way have my network setup

Doing thing high up the range so

Router is xxx.xxx.xxx.250
Printserver xxx.xxx.xxx.251
Bridge xxx.xxx.xxx.252

PC's

Server xxx.xxx.xxx.1 Wired
Lappy 1 xxx.xxx.xxx.2 Wireless
Lappy 2 xxx.xxx.xxx.3 Wireless
PDA xxx.xxx.xxx.4 Wireless
XBOX xxx.xxx.xxx.5 Wireless via bridge.

As you can see I do not use DHCP, pain in the ass.

Before we setup security we get the network working.

So Server is hard wired with a i
IP of xxx.xxx.xxx.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.250 < Note Router IP address

DNS Primary from ISP
DNS Secondary from ISP

Your router will tell you these when connected to BB.

Follow these instructions and you should be onto a winner.

remember wired and wireless have exactly the same basic config. the only diference is the security required
thanx for that m8 ill give that a try ill write all that down and go up me mums and try it thanx m8

kabzy mabzy said:
IS security enabled on the router??

if so this could be blocking the internet signal, althjough i doubt this is your problem because if this was the case then it would just not connect at all.

check that the CROSSOVER cable is connected from the modem to the router and not a standard one.
i think i have allready checked but i can check agan

Dutcho said:
Have you setup the router with your login name ect ? Is that connecting to the internet
i think i did that with the cd what come with it but im not 2 shor now ill have to just start agan

Dutcho said:
Might be an idea to make sure the connection is working on the router before you start messing too much with the pc ;)
i think the connection on the router is ok ill have to doubbul check when i get round there but this is how i have got it set up bt voyager downsterers and linksys wireless router downstaers to but no computer downsters she just did not want all wires running all throw the house and the computer is upsters with a wireless lan poi card in it can it be done like that

Remember that ADSL is not plug and play :) You cant just plug it in and it will work :) Sure, it will connect to other PCs etc wirelessly, but you wont get any network out of it. You will need to enter the webinterface of the router by typing its IP address into Internet Explorer/Firefox, logging in with the default username/password, and then adding all your connection details.

Things you should check are set up:

Connection Type: It should most probably be "PPPoE"
Username: the username you would use to connect if you were dialling up the modem from your PC
Password: the password that corresponds to the above username
MAC Address: some ISPs require a specific MAC address. If this is the case, you'll need to input that into the router too.
IP address: You'll need to determine whether you want a static IP or a dynamically assigned one. If you need a static IP, you need to input it :)

Other than that, make sure security is off etc as others have suggested.
If your computer is getting assigned an IP from the router then you are on the right track, its just the connection settings :)

Speedy2206 said:
Remember that ADSL is not plug and play :) You cant just plug it in and it will work :) Sure, it will connect to other PCs etc wirelessly, but you wont get any network out of it. You will need to enter the webinterface of the router by typing its IP address into Internet Explorer/Firefox, logging in with the default username/password, and then adding all your connection details.

Things you should check are set up:

Connection Type: It should most probably be "PPPoE"
Username: the username you would use to connect if you were dialling up the modem from your PC
Password: the password that corresponds to the above username
MAC Address: some ISPs require a specific MAC address. If this is the case, you'll need to input that into the router too.
IP address: You'll need to determine whether you want a static IP or a dynamically assigned one. If you need a static IP, you need to input it :)

Other than that, make sure security is off etc as others have suggested.
If your computer is getting assigned an IP from the router then you are on the right track, its just the connection settings :)
thanx for all your help peeps i got it to connect to the internet i dont really know how i did it but i did it its just when i put an antivirus software on the comp the comp just stoped responding so all i can thinck is that it must of allready had some sort of antivirus on there but i have got my mums computer here with me to try and uninstall the antivirus software but its really tacking its time.

i installed norton on there but its not the internet its the computer now its going really slow and it will not let me into add or remmove coz its going to slow

IMO...Norton is the worst antivirus under the sun! I used it once and it slowed my PC to a snails pace. Uninstall the email scanner and shit like that! I use Free AVG on my lappy and Bullguard on my desktop (only cause it came with my pc).

devilfish said:
IMO...Norton is the worst antivirus under the sun! I used it once and it slowed my PC to a snails pace. Uninstall the email scanner and shit like that! I use Free AVG on my lappy and Bullguard on my desktop (only cause it came with my pc).
as soon as it lets me into add or remove ill unistall it and put a free one on there like you say ill have to click on controll panel and wach a film then go to add or remove and see how i get on thanx for that m8

Back