Can RAM be crap?

TheWakeUpCall

Inactive User
Reaction score
I was looking at the price of RAM on ebay, and I can get a stick of 1GB for my computer for under £10 on a really crap brand that i've never heard of.

Should I be warey of 'Extra Value' RAM, what's different to it from kingston or crucial or something?

ok. what happens to it though? does it just fail pretty quickly or something?

you should stay well clear of cheap ram - sometimes it`s better to pay more, than having to pay more later becuase you bought a product which is of lesser quality!
you should try the system scanner at crucial.com that will analyze your system and tell you what the best type of ram is for your system
secondly, software like adia32 and everest <one of my personal favs - will tell you the perfect ram timings to get the best out of your whole system/cpu/motherboard
then you will know exactly what ram timings your motherboard can support then look for ram (best to be branded with warrenty) I know alot of companies are offering lifetime warrenties on ram also these days.

lastly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_SDRAM

study this page, and other links from this page, it will give you a full understanding on how one stick of ram can differ from the next depending on how many CHIPS are actually on the stick of ram, 4 chip ram, 8 chip ram, 16 chip ram, double sided chipped ram also may not be compatible with certain motherboards. so you have to watch out for these things before you know which type of ram is best for your particular configuration. also watch out if your thinking of going dual channel mode (128bit access rates) if your going dual channel you really should use exactly the SAME type and brand of sticks, mixing them will only lead to problems, loss of data and possibly a really bad crash on your computer.

Would say its worth paying a bit extra, but wouldn't worry about a lifetime guarantee, chances are you will upgrade your pc at least once in your lifetime.

Back