Calling all Tradesmen/DIY enthusiasts

what power tools do you guys use? or trade-specific?

either DIY or Trade?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Gav I've got all the heavy gear but that's only because it's for daily use, the boyz destroy cheap tools and it ends up costing more in the long run. For occasional use I'd advise you go with the real budget options and take advantage of any guarantee's that you receive with them. Personally I wouldn't spend more than around £70 on a DIY drill.

or buy yourself a SH Hilti from someone who has only used it a few times.

think i'll just put some cash away each month till i'm finished my apprenticeship and then i can kit myself out :)

try and pick up some bargains during the next 2 and half years like those wrekcing bars etc lol

any little bargains yous guys are snapping up just now?

hand tools/power tools/drill bits etc?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

ive got a £50 challenge extreme sds demo drill had it 2 years still going strong ive done loads in the kitchen install,sat dish,holes for cables etc spot on they are.

Edit: this is the one Buy Challenge Xtreme Rotary Hammer Drill 1200 Watts. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

Just bought this one in the Argos sale link Rat posted just after Xmas for 30 notes IIRC, glad to hear you've had it two years! If it does what needed, and lasts 12 months, I'll be happy with that, anything else is a bonus.

Just bought this one in the Argos sale link Rat posted just after Xmas for 30 notes IIRC, glad to hear you've had it two years! If it does what needed, and lasts 12 months, I'll be happy with that, anything else is a bonus.

Yes m8 goes through my walls like butter and they are a brick/concrete combo. I also picked up the drill bit set they do which was half price with the drill way back then. Ive had mine up a ladder putting my sat dish up yeah they are heavy but they do the job in no time.

Ive also used the standard chuck on mine for other drilling jobs works just as well too.

Get one of those £30 challenge extreme argos ones m8. They do the job as just well as drills 4 times more expensive.

Unless your going to use it loads £150 is a bit of a waste of money.

I got 1 of them too its the best drill ive ever had(saved my life)
I was putting up shelves in a cupboard never thought about the elec meter behind the wall there was an almighty bang and lights went out. had to call in the eleccy board to fit a new master fuse. Drill bit was melted, i was fine luckily

My apprentice has one of these and it's never let him/us down ;)
Ryobi CRH180M 18V SDS Plus Drill - Bare - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys
It's a pretty sturdy drill and comes with sds as standard and an add on keyless chuck for normal bits.

Another option which as a diyer you might get more use from is this little beauty from dewalt (not sds but you can get an addon for it)
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/73596...?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-DEWALT 18V DRILL-_-73596
Thats almost half it's normal price from screwfix and makes a belting screwdriver too, you cant go far wrong with dewalt or bosch and as a dyer that thing would most likely outlive you :Clap:

what battery does yer apprentice use with that ryobi mate?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

He uses a lion type battery (similar to the one in the link from my previous post) which is a tadgers more powerful as his 1st but has a standard battery that came with the drill as back up. The standard battery has sent a 5" core bit through a cavity wall in the past. It was one of my diamond bits but even so i was pretty impressed as it saved me waiting for my beastly dewalt 24 to charge. He's just text me sayin this "as long as the batteries one+ compatible your good to go, theyre about 30 squid"
Happy hunting mate

I stick to Bosch & Makita.
Both have served me well over the years.
My Bosch SDS has served me well as its Ten years old now.
Its been to hell & back on House Renovation projects, Fencing,Decking.
The Hammer action on its own is great for getting old wall tiles off with an SDS Blade.
Have Even used the Hammer & SDS Blade to break out old concrete when taking out old Fence posts.
I dont use it every day, but its had some serious Abuse over the years and will still power a Diamond tipped Core cutter through A double cavity wall with ease !
Have used Hilti & Hitachi Drills before on hire and rate both highly.
Have broke more Dewalt cordless drills ( they are now crap!).
Had a row with the Dewalt rep on a trade show , when he asked me what i thought of their power tools ( he wished he had never asker ,lol) .
Dewalt used to have a good reputation, but the build quality has gone down hill recently, sadly the prices have not gone down with the poor quality.

would you guys say the Challenge Power tools are of a better standard than the Marksman make?

TIA

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

i use an older version of this one m8

SDS-Cordless-Drills/BOSCH-GBH24V-3-2kg-SDS-Plus-Drill]BOSCH GBH24V 3.2kg SDS Plus Drill -ive had it for 8 years now

iv also got the same drill gun 6 years down the line and still going strong, bought a dewalt 2 years ago thinking i was upgrading to a better product, wot a load of shit, 1 of the batterys is dead now and the sds function is no-where close to the bosch, DEWALT IS A FANCY VERSION OF BLACK & DECKER. Avoid Dewalt drill guns, Bosch or Makita will do the job better

iv also got the same drill gun 6 years down the line and still going strong, bought a dewalt 2 years ago thinking i was upgrading to a better product, wot a load of shit, 1 of the batterys is dead now and the sds function is no-where close to the bosch, DEWALT IS A FANCY VERSION OF BLACK & DECKER. Avoid Dewalt drill guns, Bosch or Makita will do the job better

Finally People are starting to see the light & realise DEWALT are a pile of SH*T.
I have an 18V Cordless drill i was given from Woolworths with a 5yr warranty thats better made.
might be a bit optimistic with the warranty now, Lol
The slow start is not as smooth as my cordless Bosch and its double the weight & size, but its useful as a backup and i let the kids use it.

Back