Cable (VM) - worth it?

Slyce

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all - haven't been on the scene since Starview 3 died when cable moved to Nagra 3, just found out that the scene seems to be alive and kicking still.

I've got VM in my flat, is it worth getting a box nowadays? Just thinking of reliability, cost, quality etc?

Thanks
S

If your allowed to have a dish on your flat then i'd look at going the sat route.

Hi. Don't think that would be possible unfortunately. I may be moving out in couple months if the application goes through so I could at that point I guess

Guessing there's no point in pursuing a cable box then?

That's a shame, never mind, guess I'll wait till I get my place and can go the sat route. Appreciate the comments guys.

Have a good Xmas!

on the other hand, the a780's hold their money quite well and your looking for a short term fix...

if you bought a new one for £140- £150 i reckon you would have no problem selling it for for £100ish a month or two down the line..

Sounds like a plan I think! You can't use the a780 with sky tho right? Saves me splashing out more money later on :)

no, a780 is for cable only,
you would need a live cable feed and tinternet connection.. :)

there is also a hd box now, called the a790 i think...

i'm quite happy with my Kryptview - it glitches a bit and needs retuning every now and then, but I get all the channels I used to get with my old h*c*ed Pace box. I figured that if I got 3 months free viewing out of it, I hadn't lost anything.....

Lovely jubly guys! Looks like I'll be investing in a kryptview box soon.......will check out if it's easy to program yourself or buy ready to plug in! Anyone recommend a seller at all?

its now quite plug and play..

but fairly easy if you have a null modem cable and a pc with a seriel port...

Cheers buzzer. Just been reading about it, seems quite easy to flash I guess. Used to have the Starview 3 back in the day, so you can see I haven't been on the scene for a while! :). I've seen them on lincsat @£140 not flashed, seems reasonable.

Thanks for the help as always.

i bought mine from 'lincsat' (he is active on other forums.... Techwatch???) - it came ready programmed - i just had to plug it in !!

Couldn't see him on the other website. I've checked his website and it says it is FTA boxes only :). Guess I'll contact them day after boxing day to see what is going on!

Couldn't see him on the other website. I've checked his website and it says it is FTA boxes only :). Guess I'll contact them day after boxing day to see what is going on!

of course its free to air only, anything else would be illegal.. right? ;)

Haha!! I agree naturally!! Well hopefully have a a780 when everyone's back at work and open :) will check the hd model out too, not that I'm fussed about that though :)

of course its free to air only, anything else would be illegal.. right? ;)

Indeed.... ---- when I said 'ready programmed' i meant programmed for freeview (if you know what i mean................................... ;) .................................)

Techwatch is the correct forum -- hes been active today

I'll have another gander on the site, what's his tag?

Lol yeh, as soon as impressed 'post' I realised what I had done!! Lol

I've messages him earlier.

:)

Back