Buying a car - any suggestions on inspections

shabbaranks

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Im looking to buy a car and the problem is I live in Cornwall so I tend to go "up north" to buy. Previous purchases have never been a problem but Im sure my luck will run out eventually so I was wondering if anyone can recommend either a national company who are reliable or a good way to go about inspecting these cars before I drive 300 miles to find out its a lemon.

I tend to decide on a car then Google reviews of the car companies before even contacting them (this has come up trumps a few times). Some car companies offer warranties - are these worth the paper they are written on? Also are the RAC inspections worth doing or similar?

Bit of a vague question I know :)

Check out Kia Approved used. You get it fully serviced a full 7 years or 100000 ml warranty £500 first mot cover 1 year free Rac cover. 60 days or 1000 miles change your mind and replace. Having used kia for the last 3 years I have found the car great and the service /warranty great. I had to have both headlights replaced under warranty due to led drl fault. All done without fuss.

I get what you mean for the money they are good value cars - but are they exciting to drive? And aren't they a bit plain inside? Not to knock them as you've said when you get one its hassle free motoring.

I was looking at a 2011 Scirocco but whats put the dampners on this is the fact they have a known problem where the clutch pressure plate becomes worn - fixable under warranty as far as I know but still I'd prefer not to have these kind of problems.

I was in the same boat last year when I bought ours from about 150 mile away. I used click mechanic online. They have a list of mechanics they use . One came out and did an 1.5hr report on the car roughly 115-120 check points. Then on the report a small brief message regarding the car and it's overall condition.

Now I wouldn't take this as been the best way to buy the car but all's I was after was someone with more knowledge than me with cars to run a check over it and tell me if it's worth me making a 300 mile round trip. The report picked up on slightly worn front brake pads that will need changing and one wheel slightly rimmed but no major stuff like knocks, bangs and oil leaks .dinks rust etc all the usual stuff. I got the report back within 1/2 hr of him examining it.
After I got the report I then decided to go down and took it for a spin and bought it £3.2k and touch wood bar 2 new tyres cause the tracking was slightly out (hence the rimming) it's been a belter.

We all know about 2nd hand cars, it's basically the luck of the draw. There's stunning looking cars with low mileage that can quickly turn into money pits then there's pig ugly scruff arse cars that will run till they fall apart and cost nothing to repair you can only do your best to weed out any problems but some people know just how to hide the biggies. I think these days 3-3.5k is a max spend for me, with so many nobheads on the road it's not worth having a car of value. You only end up becoming paranoid and sh*t scared to park it anywhere.

On that subject parking it up, a terraced street near me has just had 15 cars keyed both sides and bonnets. Some fookin scrote or scrotes has been plagueing the local area keying all their cars. And one guy just spent 20k on an Audi on retirement and they've been up his drive and keyed it all over 5k respray job.

Last edited:
I get what you mean for the money they are good value cars - but are they exciting to drive? And aren't they a bit plain inside? Not to knock them as you've said when you get one its hassle free motoring.

I was looking at a 2011 Scirocco but whats put the dampners on this is the fact they have a known problem where the clutch pressure plate becomes worn - fixable under warranty as far as I know but still I'd prefer not to have these kind of problems.

It has all the bits mate i have a ceed 3 stop start cruise control speed limiter satnav dab radio bluetooth phnoe connection reversing camera parking sensor adjustable seat lumber support (electric) etc etc good spec car also can get over 50mpg average 1.6 diesel. The ceed 4 has a better spec ie heated leather seats and a few other goodies.

Totally get your points and they are 100% valid (I guess Im just being a car snob :))

A bit like the Skoda's they are good cars - Audi's with a different badge, but their rep wasn't that great over the years. No reason for it its just how people perceive things.

I was in the same boat last year when I bought ours from about 150 mile away. I used click mechanic online. They have a list of mechanics they use . One came out and did an 1.5hr report on the car roughly 115-120 check points. Then on the report a small brief message regarding the car and it's overall condition.

Now I wouldn't take this as been the best way to buy the car but all's I was after was someone with more knowledge than me with cars to run a check over it and tell me if it's worth me making a 300 mile round trip. The report picked up on slightly worn front brake pads that will need changing and one wheel slightly rimmed but no major stuff like knocks, bangs and oil leaks .dinks rust etc all the usual stuff. I got the report back within 1/2 hr of him examining it.
After I got the report I then decided to go down and took it for a spin and bought it £3.2k and touch wood bar 2 new tyres cause the tracking was slightly out (hence the rimming) it's been a belter.

We all know about 2nd hand cars, it's basically the luck of the draw. There's stunning looking cars with low mileage that can quickly turn into money pits then there's pig ugly scruff arse cars that will run till they fall apart and cost nothing to repair you can only do your best to weed out any problems but some people know just how to hide the biggies. I think these days 3-3.5k is a max spend for me, with so many nobheads on the road it's not worth having a car of value. You only end up becoming paranoid and sh*t scared to park it anywhere.

On that subject parking it up, a terraced street near me has just had 15 cars keyed both sides and bonnets. Some fookin scrote or scrotes has been plagueing the local area keying all their cars. And one guy just spent 20k on an Audi on retirement and they've been up his drive and keyed it all over 5k respray job.

And this is my other issue :)

Ive got a 2005 Mazda - bag of sh1t but keeps going doesn't fail an MOT and only ever needs standard "wear and tear" parts replacing. Its done 116k and will keep going for another 20k at least, totally agree with the "scared to park it" comment it was only the other day at the supermarket I was thinking if I was driving my misses car I'd be scared to park it just incase some nob dinged it. Mine I'll stick it anywhere....

And now I'm looking at Kia's thanks to @IANB

I had a Ford Focus , 120k on the clock , had new clutch, brakes, gearbox, timing belt, oil pump the lot. Stupid me listened to the missus complaining about the car , Smith & Jones all that were as I dont give a flying turd what the cart looks like as long as it drives and the heaters work. So I agree's and buys a 2k Peugeot. I might as well flipped the grid outside and poured my wallet and threw my cards down the sewer because for the next 12 months I spent over 1k on jobs. You then end in the spending rut hoping the last job was the last but you just end up forking out more and more preying for it to come good. Eventually we scrapped it off.

And to top it all off, the dealer we traded ours in with (gave us £600) sold it for £1100 and in the add it said "No expense spared on works" , yep my fookin expense. That's the last time I listen to her, we only have the one car and I fookin choose which and when it's to die.
One rule , I don't buy from people who sell from home as a part time dealer. Most do nothing more than go to the auctions, polish the turd up then flog on with about 12 weeks warranty just enough time before the whole thing goes full t!tties up.

Back