Burnt clutch?

earwig999

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
We went to West Midlands Safari park at the weekend and there was an old VW camper in front of us. It was really busy on the safari and involved a lot of hill stops and starts. About half way around we noticed a strange smell, opened the windows and figured it must be something outside. Lter on we noticed white smoke coming from what looked like our car, but weren't sure if it was from the camper in front.

It gradually got worse and even on the way home and yesterday the smell still lingers. It seems to come through now when I switch the AC on. It smells a bit like burnt milk. It has a 'sweet' burnt smell to it.

The clutch seems to be ok. The car is a 58 plate and has only done 12k miles.

aye well most cars have at least two years warranty, get it back to the dealers mate

Sounds more like the head gasket mate if its plowing out white smoke and a sweet smell, Back to the dealers i would think!

most cdti vauxhalls do this m8 .. they have a duel mass flywheel and smell like fook when over using clutch . my wifes old astra sri cdti was the same , did it the first week she had it and a few times over 2 years never needed a clutch tho

most cdti vauxhalls do this m8 .. they have a duel mass flywheel and smell like fook when over using clutch . my wifes old astra sri cdti was the same , did it the first week she had it and a few times over 2 years never needed a clutch tho

How can I recreated this in my Astra CDTI?

Never had it before.

Is it caused by driving like a woman? (bad driving) :)

How can I recreated this in my Astra CDTI?

Never had it before.

Is it caused by driving like a woman? (bad driving) :)

if its an 04 on just creep along in traffic for 45 minutes

have you checked your coolant/water in case you are running low as antifreeze on heater rad leaves a sweet taste in your mouth.

Got it booked in with Vauxhall and ended up with a Ford Focus 1.6 petrol. Just about getting used to it now. So much different having a petrol than a diesel though. Can't pull away in 2nd in a petrol, even if rolling slightly.

They are gonna strip the gearbox and clutch/fly wheel thing out to see what the problem is.

Pulling away in second when slightly rolling is probably whats fecked ur clutch haha :p

Update is they won't do the clutch under warranty as they deem it driver abuse.

I've never seen a clutch but here are the photos of mine. Does it look bad??

aye it looks ****ed, and to be honest i agree with them, it is driver abuse to drive away at slow speeds in 2nd. Using the bite to stop you on a hill and resting your foot on the clutch, sounds like you'v killed it mate :(

i still dont think 12000 miles on a clutch is acceptable to fail, even if you abused the hell out of it i wouldnt settle and keep at them

i still dont think 12000 miles on a clutch is acceptable to fail, even if you abused the hell out of it i wouldnt settle and keep at them

id be inclined to agree with you to be fair i have never ever burned out a clutch and while i do use the biting point on hills rather than handbrake etc.. never ever had a problem.. I know my new car has 12 month warranttee on clutch everything else is 5 years... but even at that id expect my clutch to last 3-4 years easy..

or at least 20+ thousand miles, get on the net incase there is any other results for the car you have, also silly question that may make you feel better

ever had one replaced in a car before ??

I only learnt to drive 2 years ago.

This is my company car, so I haven't got to pay but it makes me look bad.

To me it doesn't look burnt?

Last edited:
No not since I found out it was stopping me turning on Cruise Control. That was on the 2nd day of driving the car.

looks ok to me ,, there been a bit on heat on the pressure plate but the drive plate looks fine , theres plenty of meat left on the plate ,,

theres no way it was slipping , it sounds to me u just got the clutch hot when u was stuck in traffic m8

if u take a car to the main stealer this is wot happens they took u up , there not going to tell u this model suffers with the clutches over heating

Last edited:
I have seen clutches burnt out in 3,000 miles. Warranty for a year or three years wont cover you for wear, only manufacturing defects. If I had a pound foreverytime I heard "ive been driving for 30 years or more and never had a clutch fail" when the only fault is a worn out friction plate i'd be a rich man lol.
i'd agree with smirnoff though the friction plate looks like it's got plenty life left, it has been overheated though. Why did you take it in? was it just a burning smell. It probarbly didn't need changing if that was the case. A lot of dealers take the piss with lease companies.

thebigman

Back