Burning Fat/gurth gain around weist ... muscle gain but weight loss ?

Rs2k_Rider

DW's Resident Medic
Reaction score
Hi Lads,

Strange questions from me being the medic PMSL !!! While I understand the biology of the body, the fitness side rather passed me by lol.

What I need to do is lose weight, but gain muscle tone.

I have for the last 4 years or so, been bloody lazy...! to be honest ! LOL Uni has that affect. I used to be super super fit as some of you will know, per my past life... but had a bad accident in 2002 in which I smashed L2+3 in a RTC.

I am now as far as I am concerned ok to exercise/gym workout :) although I know it will hurt, so does anything else so sod it.

What I want to do as I have said is lose weight, gain muscle tone and lose waist size/pop belly... No its not a beer guy, I very rarely drink... 1 or 2 times a year.

Currently a 34/36 waist, 5'10.... I want to drop to around a 32/30 waist... the main issue is the guy that sticks out above the waist line ! how do I reduce this..

I know the basics..

1) eat healthy.
2) reduce fat intake/fizzy drinks
3) up protein - reduce carbs

any cardiovascular excercises that will up your heartbeat and ,,swimming,jogging,bikeriding,,,,,,,,getting ya ass of that motorbike lol

any cardiovascular excercises that will up your heartbeat and ,,swimming,jogging,bikeriding,,,,,,,,getting ya ass of that motorbike lol

There is a payg gym local, £30~ p/m ... going to go with a seasoned gym nut as well, what should I aim for ? sit ups are one thing I know I should do, but I still think are a no no :(

sweat the fat of,,excercise bike,rowing machine etc etc,,,,,if u have a bit of beef on the stomach making your ab muscles bigger will push the fat out lol,,,the peeps gym should give you a training routing to stick too

sweat the fat of,,excercise bike,rowing machine etc etc,,,,,if u have a bit of beef on the stomach making your ab muscles bigger will push the fat out lol,,,the peeps gym should give you a training routing to stick too

any supplements mate ? dont need to gain mass I dont think, but a metabolism raiser perhaps ?

used to take creatine, god could i tell the difference when using and when not.could do a lot more on it

holland and barrett usually do good deals on it,,,i used to get the plain powdered one,,,flavoured ones tasted awfull,used to mix that with milk or whatever

Last edited:
Eh it ain't rocket science mate! Burn more calories than you take in & you'll lose some weight. Train while you're doing it & you'll tone up too. Cardio for 6 weeks or so, see how your body responds.
Then again, I ain't a Medic :licka:
HH.

Eh it ain't rocket science mate! Burn more calories than you take in & you'll lose some weight. Train while you're doing it & you'll tone up too. Cardio for 6 weeks or so, see how your body responds.
Then again, I ain't a Medic :licka:
HH.

HappyH is correct; take in less calories than you need you will lose weight and if you train while you do it your body will try to retain muscle (as it needs it to lift the weights). You might lose a bit muscle mass as your body can catabolise it depending on what it wants.

It's a complex subject but being both catabolic to lose fat and anabolic to gain muscle at the same time is generally not possible, naturally anyway. For the first few months of training you might experience something like it but beyond that losing fat and gaining muscle at the "same time" is referred to as recomposition which is really short times of doing each serially. You need to balance on your lose-weight/gain-weight thresholds of calories and macronutrient percentages to do it whilst lifting reasonably heavy so stimulate hypertrophy when overeating and maintain when undereating.

First thing to focus on is diet but it sounds like you know that. Its easier to but calorie intake then it ever will be to burn it off.

In terms of exercise, its not possible to target the fat loss and unfortunately for some people the belly is the last place it will go. What you can do is tone the muscle under so when the fat does come off then you will look good. Couple of things

- Interval cardio training is supposed to be better then continuous cardio training. So for example flat out for 15 seconds, then low intensity for 10 second, then flat out again, etc, instead of just going at a constant pace

- Resistance training is better then cardio for fat lose. Resistance training does not necessarily mean lift weight. Just using body resistance like squats and press up is fine. Also just having muscle means you are burning more calories, even when you are not doing anything, they say 1KG of muscle uses around 75 calories a day. So 5KG of lean muscle is worth over 1,800 calories a week (about 1/2 lb). Have a look on google and you tube, there are loads of samples. Also have a look at exercise bands. They are like big rubber bands and only cost a few quid no storage space required.

- Aside from straining your back apparently sit ups are apparently not the most efficient exercise. The recommendation these days is to do crunches and plank to tone core muscles.

Cheers for the advice lads :D

I understand the principles behind the exercises, the biology of it etc but not the effectiveness of whats best if you follow my meaning. :(

Shall have to try diff things over time and see what I find has a better effect I suppose :)

Cheers for the advice lads :D

I understand the principles behind the exercises, the biology of it etc but not the effectiveness of whats best if you follow my meaning. :(

Shall have to try diff things over time and see what I find has a better effect I suppose :)

As you know, everyone's different so you'll have to experiment. I don't seem to be able to gain muscle without putting some fat on as I tend to need to eat a decent amount of carbohydrates. The fat comes off quite well when I lower the carbs again though.

Include "good" fats in your diet, olive oil, walnut oil (I like this on feta cheese with a bit brown bread)...

Get on the juice diet for a week. 7lbs in 7 days.

The best way to keep a tight stomach and gain a six pack is just raise your legs 6 inches of the bed and hold it every time you masturbate lol Im like peter andre me :mad:) one session a day keeps you in good shape.

The best way to keep a tight stomach and gain a six pack is just raise your legs 6 inches of the bed and hold it every time you masturbate lol Im like peter andre me :mad:) one session a day keeps you in good shape.
must keep your skin moisturized aswell:FRIGHT:

Back