Simple Diet Changes

Evastar

Inactive User
Reaction score
it's that time of year again when people start to think about going on a diet. you might have put on a few pounds over christmas, or made a new year's resolution to lose weight.

most people that go on a crash or fad diet gain all of the weight back as soon as they give up. then they go on a diet again, lose weight, go back to their old eating habits and put it all (and more) back on again.

the best thing to do is to make simple diet and lifestyle changes that you will stick with and that will help you to lose weight gradually and safely over time.

first of all we need all the major food groups in our diet, proteins, carbohydrates and fats. we also need fibre, minerals and vitamins to be healthy.

some people think that all carbohydrates are bad for you that isn't true. carbs can be further divided into simple carbs and complex carbs. simple carbs are digested very quickly and converted to sugar in your body, while complex carbs take longer to digest and contain more fibre.

one of the best tips for losing weight is to look at your carbohydrate intake and swap simple carbs for complex carbs. what this means is for example, if you eat white bread, change to wholemeal or wholegrain bread instead. these take longer to digest and don't give a 'sugar rush' so don't cause the energy highs and slumps that more refined foods do.

List of Simple Carbohydrates and Complex Carbohydrates Foods

Another thing to look at is what you drink. Fizzy drinks and alcohol contain a lot of empty calories. If you drink a lot of beer and don't want to give it up, consider cutting down and switching to a light beer.

Calories in Alcohol

Sauces are also very fattening. For example if you were out in a restaurant and you ordered chicken caesar salad, you would think you are being healthy right? it all depends on where you order it, sometimes it can have over 1000 calories and be full of fat! Chicken Caesar Salad Nutrition Facts | eHow.com

there's no need to cut out everything you like and that's where a lot of people go wrong. they give up all their favourite foods and get bored of their diet after a week and just fall back into their old bad eating habits.

a few simple tips are:
if you make or buy sandwiches for lunch, have butter or mayonnaise, don't have both.
have brown bread instead of white.
try spices like cayenne chilli pepper to spice your food up, it helps to speed up your metabolism and burn fat faster.
try eating more vegetables, as they fill you up and you won't be as likely to snack on chocolate etc.
eat breakfast, but make sure it's a healthy one, try porridge or wholemeal toast. some breakfast cereals are full of sugar, so check the box.
drink water to cleanse your system and stop you feeling hungry. if you don't like the taste add a squirt of lemon juice.
try making your own soups, homemade vegetable soup etc can be lovely

also try and exercise at least three times a week for half an hour. this could be anything from a brisk walk, to going to the gym to cycling, to doing wii fit. as long as it gets your heart beating faster it really doesn't matter what type of exercise it is.

Written by A women, who is a size 8, goes to the gym everyday, walks miles and weight drops off her.

For the rest of us Fatties after the xmas binge, we will do things in moderation, case we have a heart attack,lol

While breaking food down with simple and complex carbs, I would also look at GI rating. Which is why I would suggest avoiding items such as potatoes and most cereals.

Table of Glycaemic Index of foods

after a bout of sickness just before christmas i decied to try to get a bit healthier. 3 things i done...
1. cut down on the alchohol in a big way...
2. eat healthier and smaller amounts....
3. walking for an hour a night...

the results shocked me. in a little over 2 weeks i lost a full stone.

simple little changes as eva says do the trick

my usual diet consists of

one shredded wheat in cold milk

i snack mid morning like a chewy bar or apple

lunch i have a brown bread sandwich with a yoghurt

evening i cook everything fresh

i.e home made meatballs, beef burgers, chicken , salmon

side dish with salad & rice

i also treat myself to naughty food once week

also started making soups using fresh veggies and they are nice man with fresh bread

when u are looking for a quick meal always read nutritional values especially pre made sandwiches as they are usually around 500Kcals due to level of mayo as it acts as a preservative
shocking how many calories & saturated fat you consume everyday if you are lazy and stick to pre made meals - just as bad as fast food every night

Last edited:
i was starting off easily oneman, didn't want to get too complicated by bringing GI index and stuff into it yet. :) there's a GI post here: https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/246889/

and that avatar isn't me ;)

people are more likely to have success in changing their eating habits if they try a few simple things at a time.

well done nialler, sounds like you are doing great! :Clap:

very good point about takeaway food and readymade meals epidh0r, they are full of fat and salt and hidden sugars. as well as being very expensive. instead try cooking something like roast beef or chicken and using the leftover meat to make sandwiches for a couple of days. the cooked meats we buy in packets (especially ham) are full of nitrates and nowhere near as healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
And remember not eating enough will send your body into shut down and you will lose nothing and just feel shit!!!

and I have been told by my phsyio its gonna be about 12 weeks before I can start walking to work 3.5 miles.. so I have a good excuse for no real exercise...

Last edited:
And remember not eating enough will send your body into shut down and you will lose nothing and just feel shit!!!

and I have been told by my phsyio its gonna be about 12 weeks before I can start walking to work 3.5 miles.. so I have a good excuse for no real exercise...

how is your achilles tendon doing zad?

i was starting off easily oneman, didn't want to get too complicated by bringing GI index and stuff into it yet. :) there's a GI post here: https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/246889/

and that avatar isn't me ;)

people are more likely to have success in changing their eating habits if they try a few simple things at a time.

Maybe, not sure about this for everyone. From information I have read about addiction and diets, some people are better off kickstarting by going cold turkey (pardon the pun), cut carbs and sugars out completely, that includes fruit. For a week and then gradualy reintroduce food week by week. Apparently with 4 to 6 weeks the body will kick the cravings. Tie that in with a decent exercise plan and have a start to a lifestyle change.

Oh I know the avatar is not you, lol

Last edited by a moderator:
One tip that always helps me, i lost 1 stone in a month just by following this one step...

if you have your tea at 6:00pm (example) DON'T have anything to eat for the rest of the evening, if you feel hungry or reaching for a snack DON'T just take a sip of water and the hunger will pass,,,
go to bed earlier, don't sit up late watching TV as this is when we tend to snack more...
try it

and your energy levels will be boosted after 3-5 days

yes, going 'cold turkey' works for some people oneman, but a lot find it really difficult and boring and just give up completely that way.

eating in the evening is just a habit really, we sit watching tv or whatever and snack on junk. drinking water does help with this, as sometimes when we think we are hungry we are really just thirsty. also finding something to do with your hands can help as well.

yes, going 'cold turkey' works for some people oneman, but a lot find it really difficult and boring and just give up completely that way.

eating in the evening is just a habit really, we sit watching tv or whatever and snack on junk. drinking water does help with this, as sometimes when we think we are hungry we are really just thirsty. also finding something to do with your hands can help as well.

I think the point I am trying to make is do what works for you. There is no magically one size fits all solution. As long as you eat healthy and sensible and do some exercise, you will lose weight.

As for snacking in the evening, yes hard habit to break. Best thing I found is not to have any junk in the house in the first place. Difficult when you have young kids. Also did read that you should not eat within one hour minimum of when you are going to sleep and also people forget that sleep is just as important of healthy lifestyle as diet and exercise is.

how is your achilles tendon doing zad?

Slowly :( lol

Cast is off :) and started physio last Thursday.. he said it will be about 12 weeks of physio starting at once a week for a few weeks then upto 3 times a week.

I have quiet a bit of mobility in the ankle but best way to tell is do a lunge and your knee will go way past your toes mine is stopping at the bridge of my foot.

been told to take it easy for at least 8 weeks as it can go again and quiet easily as there is n muscle around it etc. I now know what they mean when they say muscle turns to fat my bad leg has gone really fat and no muscle when tensed..

So by spring I should be able to walk/cycle the 4 miles to work and start using the cross trainer properly again.

Back