CD & DVD Burning avi (again lol)

J

jaime

Hello again people, thanks to everyone who responded to my last post (burning mpg/avi) but i still have a question.
Surely it must be possible to fit a 699mb avi file onto one disc even though it runs for around 90 mins.
I tried the suggestions from the last posts but i keep getting the message that the file is too large for the medium. Encoding avi to mpg obviously makes the file larger yes?? Is it possible to burn an avi directly to disc? I have a couple of avi movies which i bought in South America last year and they have whole films on one disc.
How is this done? The files are still avi's on these discs so they haven't been encoded to mpg.
This is driving me nuts. Can i simply drag the files onto a disc or is there something else?
Pleeease help!!!!!!!

hi m8
start nero go to file then click on prefrences
click on the expert features tab click on over burn
if u need to put a time try 82mins

the disks u got from south america can be avi but they may have a player burned on to the disk with it

another edit lol

yes m8 u can drag the avi files on to the disk in nero but u will only be able to play the avi/movie on ur pc

Jaime, AVI to MPG should make the file smaller not larger.

If you are using Nero then select Video-CD then new
You should then be able to drag straight accross into bottom window. Nero will then automaicaly convert to mpg before burning. You can then watch it on vcd, and most dvd players

Speccy, i just done what you recommend and once again (after 2 hours 53 minutes!) nero says that my medium is too small.
Looks like i'll just have to split it over 2 cd's.
What you say about encoding making the file smaller doesn't seem to be right though, my avi is 689mb but encoded to 1136mb.
Whats going on here?

Davidh, if the cd's i got in Chile are avi with a player on the disc (which they are by the way) how does this all fit on one cd.
In Nero do i have to choose another wizard template to try again?

Sounds like the file already has some kind of compression applied to it. Even though its got the AVI extention it could possibly have Divx compression on it. 689mb (should) fit on a 700mb disk. If mpg unpacks it to the size you say then 2 disks it must be. Split it using TMPG

If you do a straight forward ISO copy using nero (forget the vcd settings) then you should get an exact copy and it should work but it wont play on vcd or dvd uless avi is supported. In other words in theory, your original should not play on your dvd/vcd machine either. Does it??

it all has to do with film quality the better the quality the bigger the file and converting over from avi to mpeg1 (vcd) will make the file larger what u might do is rip the player off the avi disks and write this to gether with the avi movie to a cd or as u said before use tmpegenc to convert avi2mpeg then split the movie in to 2 managable size files

to make an avi :-

click on cd next
compile a new cd next
create a new data cd next
finish
drag avi and player into iso1 then go to 9th button from the left click. should bring up burn. click burn

Well guys thanks for your help again. I finally got it to work by doing just as Speccy said.
The curious thing though is that i had already tried burning the files with the ISO wizard in Nero but it didn't work before, i think i may have left it as a multisession before but i now un-checked that and it worked.
Cheers again guys.

Back