DVB - PC Cards Build Media Center or Buy Dreambox 600

simonk1969

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've currently got a dreambox 500c but because of the poor tuner in it I'm thinking of upgrading to a Dreambox 600C but then again I'm thinking should I build a Media Center PC with a DVB-C card in it as I would be able to do more with it ?

I've been reading through the DVB threads but am still a bit confused as to exactly what I would need and exactly whether I would get exactly what I am getting now i.e. all channels decrypted and autoupdating keys,etc.

If anyone could point me to a good website and point out exactly what I would need to purchase to turn a PC in a DVB-C media pc.

Your opinions and advice would be gratefully appreciated.

following on from the thread started in Dreambox section http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=1060420#post1060420

Does anyone have any recomendations for a cheapish DVB-C PCI card ?

I also beleive that I read somewhere that you can either get the PC to do all the decoding or you can buy something else which connects to DVB card and does decoding instead. Anyone expand on how this works and what I would need to buy ?

I think I'm going to go down this road rather than the Dreambox 600c as it sounds like a better project to get teeth into !

First question to you. Have you read the stickys?

Undestood, there is some good information in there. I have been throug the same questions as yourself, in the end, I plumped for a DM600c in the lounge, (the wife didn't want a pc in the living room) and a Technotrend 1500-C in my pc in the study. I used a splitter to conect both devices. Now we are both happy. I can watch what I want, she can watch what she wants.
Best of both worlds.

ok.

Im going to do this also. so lets checkout hardware recommendations and setup required.
Best DVB card? Best price?
any cables required, etc..?

Once we have hardware can then focus on software and setup.

Last edited:
Not sure if you'll get an exact reply on best card, best price etc. Everyone seems to have a different opinion. As I said earlier, the Technotrend 1500-c seems to b a decent card. I get about 200 tv channels using DVBViewer software, similar to what I get on the DM 600c. (Word of advise, if you go for DVBViewer software, buy it. It costs about a tenner, and is worth it. I tried many versions from "various" sources and they only gave me bother)

Not sure if you'll get an exact reply on best card, best price etc. Everyone seems to have a different opinion. As I said earlier, the Technotrend 1500-c seems to b a decent card. I get about 200 tv channels using DVBViewer software, similar to what I get on the DM 600c. (Word of advise, if you go for DVBViewer software, buy it. It costs about a tenner, and is worth it. I tried many versions from "various" sources and they only gave me bother)
I'd second that. DVBviewer is the best of the somewhat rubbish bunch of apps I tried, though it's much improved since my first version and well worth the modest price. I pick up all the channels with my TT1500 card.

I'd second that. DVBviewer is the best of the somewhat rubbish bunch of apps I tried, though it's much improved since my first version and well worth the modest price. I pick up all the channels with my TT1500 card.

Who makes your TT1500 and price?

You can get the TT1500 and other DVB cards here...

hxxp://www.dvb-shop24.net/
hxxp://www.dvbshop.net/

You need to fix the x's yourself, as it didn't work the last time I posted these complete links.

hxxp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Technotrend-Common-Interface-for-paytv-services_W0QQitemZ170159285342QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3761QQcmdZViewItem

This do for decoding channels etc??

or should I get:

hxxp://www.dvb-shop24.net/product_info.php/info/p198_Technotrend-Budget-C-1500.html

If these are the best, which one should I buy now?

I wouldn't bother with the CI just yet. Mine works fine without one, just with teh software decoding.

Am I right in thinking that without the CI the PC and software are doing the decoding (Software Decoding) ?
And if you have a CI and CAM then the card is doing all the decoding (Hardware Decoding) ?

If the above is correct and I used Hardware Decoding then would I be able to get away with a lower spec PC ? I've currently got a spare P4 1.8GHZ 512mb RAM, would this be up to the job or should I be looking at getting something better ?

Thanks for your help and sorry for all the question !

You are correct. My pc is also a p4 1.8, and I have no probles decoding via software.

My card is the Technotrend Budget 1500-c as per the link above.

Hi,I see hauppauge do a multi card i think its a 400 or something,one of these multi cards sat,tv,cable.Are these any good for telepest ?

Back