Bricked my Twin - AGAIN!

F1Mad

Inactive User
Reaction score
I'm starting to get VERY frustrated with this Twin. I've now managed to brick the device for the 2nd time, and all I did was reboot it to fix a freeze up!

I'm running the 23/03/2012 image, and it's been a LOT better than the 08/03/2012 image that it came with out of the box. However, I'm still having regular freeze ups. Most times, the freeze ups comprise of the video freezing on a still Image of a given program, even though the audio stream is working ok. I can sometimes even change channels, and the audio is from the new channel, but the picture is still frozen at the same still image. A funny occurrence was yesterday, when I was able to flick over to ITV2 HD and the picture would come back, but then when I flicked to any other channel, the picture will lock again. This only happened the once though. Usually, a full reboot is required.

Anyway, to resolve the issue, an Enigma reboot from the Menu won't work, and only sometimes will a full reboot for the Menu work. This last time though, *nothing* worked, so I resorted to a reboot from the power button. This time, I got a green screen. Not to worry, this has happened before, and has always been because the HDD has been locked up from having to force a reboot whilst the drive was being accessed. So, I disconnect the drive and now I can get to the "loading..." screen, but no further! Usually, the display will show the firmware date, then "TM-Twin-OE", then "checking key...", and then the percentage loaded, etc. But this time it wont get past "TM-Twin-OE". In short, it just won't boot up! :(

So, tomorrow I'm gonna try and update to 29/03/2012 in the hope that I'll get to a more stable box that doesn't need a daily reboot. The box has already failed the WAF, and it's not fr off driving me nuts, now! Almost wishing I'd just bought a regular Sky+ HD box! :(

Last edited:
the problem youre describing was a recognised and reported issue, and since the 29-03 image i dont think ive seen anybody say they have had it

I think I only got it once a few images ago. The latest 29/03 image is much stabler. Install that, remember to switch off for at least a minute to remove any residual memory. Get it setup nicely and then make an image backup and stick it on your PC or keep handy on a USB stick - at least if it does go tits up again you can have a restored image in less than 5 mins.

I dont think anyone has been able to totally brick the TM TWIN OE

I think I only got it once a few images ago. The latest 29/03 image is much stabler. Install that, remember to switch off for at least a minute to remove any residual memory. Get it setup nicely and then make an image backup and stick it on your PC or keep handy on a USB stick - at least if it does go tits up again you can have a restored image in less than 5 mins.

VectorZ, thanks for your suggestions. I've actually now installed the "29" image, and followed the instructions on your thread (great thread, btw, and I'll post on that one too with comments), albeit using an image from another link. All looks good so far, but obviously I need to give it some time...

Incidentally, how do you creat the backup image? I've seen some options in the On Screen menus for managing backups, etc, but I'm not quite sure what the backups/images are backing up. Is there a step-by-step instructions list for how to make an image backup and put it on another device?

Just follow the menu and create a back up that can be stored on the hdd and after a flash you can restore it. Think it saves stuff like timers and other custom settnigs. However after big changes in a image I think its common practice not to restore back ups just in case they restore settings that can cause conflicts. Does that sound about right guys?

I dont think anyone has been able to totally brick the TM TWIN OE

You're right mate, it's not *completely* bricked (as I was able to revive it by updating to the latest image), but as far as 95% of consumers would be concerned, it was bricked. In fact, most shops selling such equipment may not have staff at hand with the right experience/knowledge to be able to revive such an issue. To be honest, even the regular green screens that I've seen as a result of a locked internal HDD would be beyond most people to resolve.

Anyway, at the end of the day if we eventually get to an image that is quite stable, then this unit will certainly be successful. That's why I've persevered and not given up with it...

Just follow the menu and create a back up that can be stored on the hdd and after a flash you can restore it. Think it saves stuff like timers and other custom settnigs. However after big changes in a image I think its common practice not to restore back ups just in case they restore settings that can cause conflicts. Does that sound about right guys?

Ah, OK, I see what you mean not mate (creates a .gz file with most critical things in it). It also lets you restore from the backup from within that menu (if only I'd known about this before, I could have tested out how effective this would be!). I still don't see how this could generate anything that could be stuck on a USB stick to revive a "broken" system though, or have I misunderstood this??

I can't remember exactly as the menus have changed but 1 will make "backup settings" and the other an actual "image" with the update folder structure just like when you flash. I'll have a look later if nobody gets on here first.

I think a proper brick will need the trusty serial lead, but ask DD as he certainly has the most experience with that ;)

Ah, OK, I see what you mean not mate (creates a .gz file with most critical things in it). It also lets you restore from the backup from within that menu (if only I'd known about this before, I could have tested out how effective this would be!). I still don't see how this could generate anything that could be stuck on a USB stick to revive a "broken" system though, or have I misunderstood this??

The back up file could be moved to usb or even ftp'd to your pc and if for any reason your hdd packs in or your box needs re-flashing you would copy it back over.

Back