Boy, Four, Mauled To Death By Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
the staff

Temperament
Although individual differences in personality exist, common traits exist throughout the Staffords. Due to its breeding, the modern dog is known for its character of indomitable courage, high intelligence, and tenacity. This, coupled with its affection for its friends (and children in particular), its off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, make it a foremost all-purpose dog. It has been said that "No breed is more loving with its family"
The breed is naturally muscular and may appear intimidating; however, because of their natural fondness for people, most Staffords are temperamentally ill-suited for guard or attack-dog training.
The Staffordshire Bull Terrier appeared in the top 10 breeds most suitable for families and especially children in a report researched and published by Southampton University in 1996. Staffordshire Bull Terrier puppies are very easy to house train.

People just breed them for money and don't give a shite about the future owners, whereas when I breed my dogs in the future I would like to knw where there going and to who to, that way you can feel safe knowing that its not going to be a danger to anybody.

Thats why av had my dog done so she cant have any puppies... some owners dont give a shit .. last litter my other dog had i sold one to a fella who bought one seemed the nicest fella ever went to his house !!!! had kids wife and all that. got a call from a m8 4 weeks later. telling me he ties a rope and a tyre around the dog at feed time. to build him up W.T.F...Rang the rspca and the police.by the time they got there the dog was gone ???

Long time ago, before I was married I had a Jack Russel, actually had them most my life but the last one I had you could have set on its head and it would have licked you to death, it was such a lovable dog. I got married but the dog stayed with my parents because it was brought up there and my dad loved it to pieces. Along comes my 1st born and she loved the dog and the dog loved her, then one day it snapped at her, we were all so shocked at it, she was just playing as she usually did with it, I don't know if she hurt it or anything as she was only about 1-2 years old at the time but the dog snapped and showed its teeth. It was put down the next day, my wife and myself did not want this and tried to talk my dad out of it but he was having known of it, the dog had turned and could have hurt her.

It was a very sad day, even my daughter asked where the dog was (well in a baby talky way).

The point I am making is that we all loved that dog and it was brought up well but non the less it snapped for some reason, my dad just thought it wasn't worth taking a chance.

If that dog had have hurt my daughter, would I have been to blame for loving it, it's not always the owners fault but I do agree that some people breed and bring dogs up as fighters etc and they are to blame aswell.

I have never had a dog since.

If you are an owner of a dog that belongs to a 'dangerous breed' category

And you also have a small child please take this as a warning.

Don't leave your dog with the child unattended under any circumstances.

Only a little moment was enough for the following to happen.

See the attached image...

l for one am not going to look at it .. hopefully a mod will remove ..

You twat!

I was expecting a small child's mauled face.

Regarding the debate, I am pulling out of it, as I replied instinctively after seeing the news report, and was pissed off.

You can all make your own bed, as will I.

Difficult to stomach really.

The argument seems to be based around the type of dog, whether it would attack under the correct owner, etc. Some individuals say that it is the owners fault, some say its the dogs fault - I propose a fair resolution to such issues that can be resolved by risk assesment.

If a dog attacks, shoot the dog and the owner. That way, owners take the risk that they to could lose their lives if they own an animal that attacks a human.

Also it shouldn't matter if the dog was provoked or unprovoked! At the end of the day what does a child now about annoying a dog. Same argument could retrospectively be used for the dog but whose rights are we debating here.

Not very PC but eh ho - food for thought

When I was younger we had a boarder collie that I loved to bits, sometimes she would snap and bear her teeth but didnt bite. Jack Russels have a very posessive nature and can bite I have heard.
I would never have a powerfull dog around my kids, for me it comes down to the fact that if they do turn they can clamp down on someone and use their body to rip the them from side to side, and I wouldent want anyone close to me torn to pieces or even killed. I have friends that keep dobermans, german shepards and english bull terriors and I must say that they are all well trained, well looked after and great companions, I personally feel uncomfortable with them. Being totally honest I dont like the look of staffies. Its purely prejudice on my side as they look like pit bulls and irresponsible owners only keep them for this reason.

the way I see it is this we put our lives in the hands of irresponsible drivers when we drive our familys around on the road, every car you pass could hit and kill you all yet it is almost essential to be able to drive in my area so it is a risk we take. Owning a breed of dog renowned for violent behaviour is a risk totally avoidable and therefore one I choose not to take. It is not a decision I made based on the sensationalist reports that label every dog as the problem and I am sure that in most of these cases there has been a catylist to bring out this behaviour but the fact is dogs of any kind can and do attack people, and sometimes can kill people.

I do not judge dog owners for choosing to own a dog but I dont want to be labled as a hater for not having one myself and I feel I have the experience as a past owner of a loved and looked after dog that I can say that my opinion is based on unbiast caution rather than paranoia

That's because there are far more of those dogs around, and when you get bitten by a collie, you go to the emergency room, but when you get bitten by one of those monster dogs, you go to the morgue, so the plastic surgeon would rarely see such cases.

Makes sense to me.

In my area, any person who owns these types of dogs all seem to fall into the same category IMO.

They are either drug dealers, Neds/Chavs, Gangsters or people who like to consider themselves "wee hard men".

I'm not saying our members who own them are the same, it's just an observation of my local community.

If you are an owner of a dog that belongs to a 'dangerous breed' category

And you also have a small child please take this as a warning.

Don't leave your dog with the child unattended under any circumstances.

Only a little moment was enough for the following to happen.

See the attached image...

why just the dangerous breeds ?, all dogs bite for 1 reason or another...doesn't matter how well you know the dog

a dog needs protection from small kids as much as kids need protection from dogs

i doubt any dog would would take kindly to a small child grabbing hold of its nuts and wont let go {the blame will always rest on the dog owner for not superviseing the dog or the kids}

Makes sense to me.

In my area, any person who owns these types of dogs all seem to fall into the same category IMO.

They are either drug dealers, Neds/Chavs, Gangsters or people who like to consider themselves "wee hard men".

I'm not saying our members who own them are the same, it's just an observation of my local community.
i dont class my self as one of those my dog is a family pet
i can honestly say that my dog would only attack somebody if they went to hurt a child
well attack is a strong word he would warn u off he does it with me if i go to tell the grand children off or even point at them

i dont class my self as one of those my dog is a family pet
i can honestly say that my dog would only attack somebody if they went to hurt a child
well attack is a strong word he would warn u off he does it with me if i go to tell the grand children off or even point at them

yes but if it did do anything, your to blame dave

its easy to point the finger at the dogs all the time but its the owners that bring them up and teach them there behaviour also its ridiculous to keep blaming certain breeds,etc(staffy,rotty pitbull,etc.because of there size strength, people say they done this they done that by reading it in the papers but not knowing the full truth all dogs that attack are down to the owner fault so instead having a go at the dogs start having a go at who brought them up
there is not any difference from a jack Russel aggression to a staffy aggression its totally bullsh*t to blame certain kind of dogs
get the full story right rather than listening to third party (papers)

Last edited:
I think we could do with some extra sand here to cope with all the head-burying that's going on.

Same old. Same old.

How many kids are mauled to death by Spaniels, Labradors, Collies etc.?

Dangerous dogs are dangerous.

I don't expect to be agreed with, I'm just angry.

Actualy nara i was shocked to discover that one of the most recorded breeds of dogs to attack people is indeed the labrador. I own a big dopey yellow lab max.

My 2 and 3 year old adore him and since about 6 months old they have climbed all over him he even now lays upside down while they scratch his belly.

When they were first born however andi brought them home he sat infront of me and while i held them in my arms as a babys he would growl at them.

He was taken out of the room a tap on his nose and excluded from the room untill he showed no signs of agression. I dare say it was just jealousy over what he thought was a new pup. It was a long time untill i trusted him unsupervised with them now i don't even think about it.

But all it took was training and responsibility on my part, any dog absolutly any can be a killer if it so chose to be. My m8's mum has a yorkshire terrier and it is viscious,another friend of ours has a staffy bitch and it is soft as a brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back