Bloody Apple and iPhone XS water damage

pmoore31

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi

Just wondering if anyone ever has their iPhone X/XS water damaged and actually got Apple to repair/replace for free?
I know Apple has their terms and conditions about not covering water damage so perhaps very unlikely. Also understand they say the phone is not designed for underwater use etc...
My XS Max has apparently been water damaged (True depth and Face ID no longer works, everything else seems to) and they basically said not covered as the water damage indicator was tripped, not the one by the sim card but inside the phone.
I must be very unlikely considering I merely accidentally dipped the phone into water no more than 1 ft deep whilst forgot it was in my shorts pocket when playing with my son. Phone spent no more than 30 seconds in water and considering their so called IP68 rating I’m quite taken. I do understand water resistant is not water proof. This water exposure barely compares with the IP68 ratings...

They want to charge me £450 to repair it, I complained to their customer service and they are not budging!!

Not sure whats the best thing to do.... any suggestions please?

Well well. This was really anoying me.

I called them again, said that I wanted an address to send this letter is if they listen to the apple event 2018 at point 40mins 40secs the guy says

'If you drop your phone in a pool, rinse it, dry it and it will be fine' was incorrect.

Dear Sir or Madam,

REFERENCE:/Apple Store-Apple Iphone XS

I purchased the Apple Iphone XS from Apple Store. At the point of purchase I paid £850.

The Apple Iphone XS is unfit for purpose. Water damaged.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes it an implied term of the contract I have with Apple Store that goods be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality.

As you are in breach of contract and I've owned the product for less than 6 years and a previous attempt at repair or replacement has also failed, I am within my statutory rights to ask for it to be repaired at no further cost to me.

I await confirmation that you will provide the remedy set out above within 14 days of the date of this letter.

Yours faithfully,

After 14 days I was going to send them this letter

(Your address)

(Company address)

Dear

Ref: (nature of your complaint/reference number)

I am writing with regard to the above complaint. I wrote to you on (date) and (date) asking you to do (describe the action you asked them to take) to resolve this complaint.

However, your attempts to resolve the problem have not been satisfactory and you claim that there is nothing more you can do to help me.

I feel that we have reached a deadlock situation and, therefore, I am left with no alternative but to take my complaint to the (name of) ombudsman.

Please issue me with a letter of deadlock so that I may refer this matter to the (name of) ombudsman.

If I do not hear from you within 14 days I shall assume that you are in agreement that this case has reached deadlock and I shall refer my complaint about you to the ombudsman without further reference to you.

Yours faithfully,

(Your name)

They put me on hold for 3 minutes and then said a brand new phone would be in the post today for no charge.

RESULT!!!

I think you should think yourself extremely lucky.
"I merely accidentally dipped the phone into water no more than 1 ft deep whilst forgot it was in my shorts pocket when playing with my son. Phone spent no more than 30 seconds in water"

A clever use of words in the above sentence but still sounds like your fault ;)

100% it was my fault. Take a look at 40mins and 40 seconds in. He said it would not be a problem.....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just glad they sorted it :)

Hi

Just wondering if anyone ever has their iPhone X/XS water damaged and actually got Apple to repair/replace for free?
I know Apple has their terms and conditions about not covering water damage so perhaps very unlikely. Also understand they say the phone is not designed for underwater use etc...
My XS Max has apparently been water damaged (True depth and Face ID no longer works, everything else seems to) and they basically said not covered as the water damage indicator was tripped, not the one by the sim card but inside the phone.
I must be very unlikely considering I merely accidentally dipped the phone into water no more than 1 ft deep whilst forgot it was in my shorts pocket when playing with my son. Phone spent no more than 30 seconds in water and considering their so called IP68 rating I’m quite taken. I do understand water resistant is not water proof. This water exposure barely compares with the IP68 ratings...

They want to charge me £450 to repair it, I complained to their customer service and they are not budging!!

Not sure whats the best thing to do.... any suggestions please?
I had the same problem I even edited the keynote and sent it apple they wouldn’t budge the bastards
I emailed ombudsman, but they didn’t help either

I had the same problem I even edited the keynote and sent it apple they wouldn’t budge the bastards
I emailed ombudsman, but they didn’t help either
Its happening all over the world m8. it must be a design fault. Also a lot of money to lose

So u did or didnt get a new phone mate , I contacted offcom they did fuckal either just not good enough Im a apple fan boay have evey apple , mack , a billion dollor complany and they **** u off i sent my phone to them

So u did or didnt get a new phone mate , I contacted offcom they did fuckal either just not good enough Im a apple fan boay have evey apple , mack , a billion dollor complany and they **** u off i sent my phone to them
Me too mate, first started with an iphone 3. Yesterday I called them to complain and the supervisor just said no..no..no its not covered for water damage. I was going to claim on my house insurance £150 but then thought f*ck you apple, I have spent a fortune with you in the past.

I called and ask to speak to a manager on there callback system. I ran through it very calmly and had the facts written out and also said I had seeked advice from Which Magazine (I do subscribe to them).

He said he would look at the report and left me on hold for 3-5 mins. If he was going to say no now, I would claim on the insurance and buy a Samsung.

As soon as he came back, he said they are going to cover in this time under warranty. The camera sensor is not a replaceable item in the phone so will send me a new phone.

He asked me not to call the apple helpdesk again reference this matter and to call him directly if I had any issues. I think this is because Apple do not want to let their team know they are honoring the warranty on these.

Dear

Thanks for contacting Apple.

If you have any concerns or questions regarding the case we discussed earlier, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Please dial the phone number 00800 2774 2775 and, after the recorded message, dial my extension number 55145593.

If I’m not available when you need to discuss the case, please leave a voicemail and I’ll call you back on my next scheduled work day.

If you need immediate assistance regarding this case when I am not available, or for a different issue, call 0800 107 6285 (UK) or 1800 804 062 (Ireland) to speak to an Advisor. You can see a list of Apple phone numbers around the world here: Contact Apple for support and serviceor you can also use the online support: www.apple.com/uk/support or www.apple.com/ie/support.

Regards,

Apple Distribution International

About an hour later I got this;

You’ve accepted the requote. Your repair is in progress.
27 June 2019:
Our technicians are working on your product. We’ll notify you when the repair has been completed.

Repair Details
  • We’ve received your product.
    26 June 2019
Its worth another try mate as he did sound a little on my side explaining they still advertise this on their web site

A new level of water resistance. The most durable glass in a smartphone, sealed and precision-fitted with the surgical-grade stainless steel band, helps create a more water-resistant enclosure — up to 2 meters for 30 minutes. iPhone XS even resists spills from coffee, tea, soda, and more.

I think you have a good case as the f*cking thing is not as water resistant as they claim.

Good Luck :)

Last edited:
I also found this online before I called them.... This made me get some facts before I called....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

At a guess, it is the dynamic water pressure created by the fall causing ingress rather than the static water pressure at 1.5m for 30minutes, that IPx8 claims. Any motion of the phone in liquid increases the dynamic pressure.

The bloke in the video does say "drop" though.

Me too mate, first started with an iphone 3. Yesterday I called them to complain and the supervisor just said no..no..no its not covered for water damage. I was going to claim on my house insurance £150 but then thought f*ck you apple, I have spent a fortune with you in the past.

I called and ask to speak to a manager on there callback system. I ran through it very calmly and had the facts written out and also said I had seeked advice from Which Magazine (I do subscribe to them).

He said he would look at the report and left me on hold for 3-5 mins. If he was going to say no now, I would claim on the insurance and buy a Samsung.

As soon as he came back, he said they are going to cover in this time under warranty. The camera sensor is not a replaceable item in the phone so will send me a new phone.

He asked me not to call the apple helpdesk again reference this matter and to call him directly if I had any issues. I think this is because Apple do not want to let their team know they are honoring the warranty on these.

Dear

Thanks for contacting Apple.

If you have any concerns or questions regarding the case we discussed earlier, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Please dial the phone number 00800 2774 2775 and, after the recorded message, dial my extension number 55145593.

If I’m not available when you need to discuss the case, please leave a voicemail and I’ll call you back on my next scheduled work day.

If you need immediate assistance regarding this case when I am not available, or for a different issue, call 0800 107 6285 (UK) or 1800 804 062 (Ireland) to speak to an Advisor. You can see a list of Apple phone numbers around the world here: Contact Apple for support and serviceor you can also use the online support: www.apple.com/uk/support or www.apple.com/ie/support.

Regards,

Apple Distribution International

About an hour later I got this;

You’ve accepted the requote. Your repair is in progress.
27 June 2019:
Our technicians are working on your product. We’ll notify you when the repair has been completed.

Repair Details
  • We’ve received your product.
    26 June 2019
Its worth another try mate as he did sound a little on my side explaining they still advertise this on their web site

A new level of water resistance. The most durable glass in a smartphone, sealed and precision-fitted with the surgical-grade stainless steel band, helps create a more water-resistant enclosure — up to 2 meters for 30 minutes. iPhone XS even resists spills from coffee, tea, soda, and more.

I think you have a good case as the f*cking thing is not as water resistant as they claim.

Good Luck :)
Yea they said all that to me , the apple engineers looked at it and said they are not willing to give me a new hand set , i even went on twitter and had a rant to phil shieller didnt bother his arse to respond , the bastard state the device can be in water for 30 mins at 2 metres deep dry it off and your good to go , if had the money id go to hte keynote and tell them its all bollocks.
My phone was in prestine condition only 3 MONTHS OLD PAID FOR AN APPLE CASE FOR IT COST ME 59.00

Back