Bird box cam 2010

Im thinking of making something like this, lol.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiCrlwzTpkM]YouTube - BirdBox[/ame]

How it all works.

I'll try to explain how I did it.

I made a simple birdbox out of plywood a few years ago. I only used plywood because it's all I could find in the workshop at the time. The main problem with ply is that it de-laminates with the weather which is what happened to my roof last year.
If you fancy having a go there is a pretty good tut here.

Building a bird box - nest box for blue tits and great tits

I then got a cheep camera off ebay. If you search there for "wired mini ir camera" you should find the one. I paid around a tenner for it from Hong Kong.

The camera is screwed to the side of the box. I tested the image and set the focus by twisting the lens before fitting this years trial roof.

Click the thumbs for bigger image.

The camera is fed from a multi output power supply inside the house and 12V DC runs outside with the audio and video phono cables.
The audio and video run back to my htpc which happens to have one of those multi input/card readers/usb/firewire etc. It connects via phono sockets.
The streaming is done by a small app downloaded from Camstreams
You need to register with them but it's all free.
You are initially restricted to 500kbps bandwidth which equates to around 15 simultainious viewers. Due to the demand last year I asked for it to be increased. They did this without any problems and increased it to 1000kbps or 30 viewers.

You'll also need to forward prots on your router to allow the stream to work.
This is very easy to do.
I have a belkin router but for other makes, visit portforward.com for more details.
Camstreams defaults to port 5700 so your page should look something like this.

I also link the stream to my own website which they allow as long as you make due reference to them, which I think is fair enough.
The streaming program is easy to set up and shows you a preview before it goes out onto the web.
I simply check all is ok and leave the pc running.

The recording side of things is separate from the pc and is done by splitting the video signal and sending it to a spare input on my cctv dvr.
This allows me to easily search for events and edit the bit I want, convert it to mpeg and upload it to photobucket before linking to it here to save Mickie's bandwidth lol

Anyway, the birds are showing an interest in the box but still haven't started nesting in it yet, so the pc is still off.

Curly

Edit: Added port forwarding details

Last edited:
Wahey curly has got his tis out for the lads! I saw it on the news that spring has come early perhaps this is another sign?

Thinner roof = More light = More Heat..

Sorry didnt want to pish on your chips but you will proberly find the chicks will die or even worse they wont bother nesting in there.

Me personaly would of got 2 donor solar panals off them cheap garden lights.. and linked both the batteries and panals together keeping the same amount of bulbs.. stuck it on the roof and got the light from that...

or you could make a small turbine from a small 9v motor but this wouldnt get enough power and would scare the birds off..

They all thrived and did well last time.

Great thread M8 I will be following with interest.

I must have missed your thread last year. We purchased a bird house last January had loads of birds in the garden but none interested.

But this year, a pair of blue tits have been showing interest. One already seemed to be taking twigs into the nest box so hopefully I'll have a full nest box this year fingers crossed.

Currently using our cam in the chicken coop, great for identifying who's not laying but would love to set up a cam for the blue tits but our chicken cam is a little large for the nest box.

Also would I disturb the box by putting a cam in it so late? Think I may get prepped for next year and let them have a bit of privacy this year :)

Excellent curly enjoyed viewing your tits last year :proud:, looking forward to it This year will be watching with interest

Yay! I've been looking forward to seeing your tits again this spring, Curly ~ I enjoyed it so much last year! Thanks!

Now, if only you could get Bolton out of relegation danger I would really consider you to be a miracle worker! :)

Yay! I've been looking forward to seeing your tits again this spring, Curly ~ I enjoyed it so much last year! Thanks!

Now, if only you could get Bolton out of relegation danger I would really consider you to be a miracle worker! :)

Hi weasie, nice to see you back again. Look forward to speaking to you in Curly's bird cam chat.

I clicked on the link this morning and there is a message that the webcam has been de-activated. Say it isn't so, Curly!:Cry:

Is Curly about ? is he ok ?

I'm dying to see his cam again we've got some blue tits in our nest box but no cam and would love to no what stage they are at now. i.e finished nesting , laying, hatching etc...

Well what can I say folks?
There has been no action in the box since I captured and posted the video at the begining of this thread (a little prematurly it now seams).
I have even added another box in the garden designed for robbins complete with camera. Both bird boxes are connected to a dvr set to record on movement, but nothing in either box so far.
A couple of neighbours have put boxes up and I'm wondering if the birds are trying out a new gaff??
I've just re-activated the stream to keep my account active and test everything is still working. I'll leave it on for a day or two.
The box currently streaming is the blue tit one, but if robins start nesting in the other, I simply swap 2 bnc cables over and can swap to the other box without disturbing the birds.
My appologies to all those who were looking forward to this again, I guess the moral is............... don't count your chickens (or blue tits) lol

Curly

any sign of anything yet Curly ?

I have a pair nesting in a lamppost out the back of me,and I was standing at the gate tonight watching mum and dad feeding them and thought "whats happening with Curlys Blue Tits"

Ill try and get a photo of mum/dad flying in/out :) no promises as there fast little things lol

Back