Biometric Passports

Saucer of milk anyone ? lol

But a valid point though, if it is so easy to gain a foreign passport then what is the point is there in tightening the noose round our necks?

Originally Posted by karym6 As for the Argentine passport, I got mine a few years back for fun

Got any screen shots of that passport, you see I have a rolex :roflmao:

I am trying to think what sort of person travels to Argentina to get a passport for a laugh:err:

Last edited by a moderator:
well, it pretty much shows that whilst the UK and Europe may introduce new security measures, it doesnt really count for much when other countries practically give their passports away.

Unless other countries are able to afford the same or equivalent level of securtity, then it makes our new system seemingly pointess.

I would assume that the only way around it would be cancel the visa waiver programs that we have with various countries around the world.

This is off topic "slightly" if with the new passport we have instant visa rights to the US then does the rule about criminal records still count when wanting to head to the states ?

Asking for a friend of a friend you understand.........

This is off topic "slightly" if with the new passport we have instant visa rights to the US then does the rule about criminal records still count when wanting to head to the states ?

thats a VERY good question m8

and of course you are ;)

lol

(but still a good point)

the visa waiver program between us and the states only applies if you dont have any sort of criminal record in the UK at all.

If you do, then you need to go for a 2 hour long interview at one of the US consulates, or at the embassy itself.

Here is the site on it : http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html

Having a biometric passport is just one of te requirements to get into the US on th visa waiver program.

Apparently they may be demanding our fingerprints soon?

the visa waiver program between us and the states only applies if you dont have any sort of criminal record in the UK at all.

If you do, then you need to go for a 2 hour long interview at one of the US consulates, or at the embassy itself.

Here is the site on it : http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html

Having a biometric passport is just one of te requirements to get into the US on th visa waiver program.

Apparently they may be demanding our fingerprints soon?

You need to provide fingerprints now when you enter the US, they also take a lovely picture of you.

No it doesn't.

Amy winehouse is having to apply as she got busted in scandinavia a little while ago.

I wanted to go to new york a few years ago and they said I had to attend the embassy for an interview as I have an old conviction for growing my own (1984 £50 fine and a years probation so the judge didn't think it was serious ), I told them not to bother and went to vienna instead.

So are you seriously trying to tell me if I have a conviction for "pickpocketing" or something silly in 19 o chocolate I need to go to a feckin interview ?

probably, yes.

They are very strict on people who have driving offences on their files for some reason

Don't know but they are real funny about drug convictions of any description.

According to the signs up my local casualty it's the same in australia and japan.

heard somewhere that the airports are fitted with sensors that can pinpoint the location of these new passports inside the terminals

there is a consulate: http://london.usembassy.gov/nireland/index.html

as for pinpointing the biometric passport in an airport, this would be highly unlikely. RFID doesnt normally use a power source on the chip that would give out enough juice for this to take place.

The aiport could be fitted with a scanner that can find all the rfid chips, but it would be very hard to pinpoint a passport exactly.

The only way that could be done is if the scanner was close to the passport, such as in a doorway, then the chip could be identified.

Nokia has been using RFID for years to push the concept of mobile wallets. The scanners themselves can see the chip is narby, but untill it gets close enough cannot read it.

In a lot of scandic countries, there are a number of payment schemes running that use RFID

Don't know much about RFID at all to be honest but con't understand if Tesco can use a tracking device that is even smaller than the Bio Passport one.

Still have my suspicions

Don't know much about RFID at all to be honest but con't understand if Tesco can use a tracking device that is even smaller than the Bio Passport one.

Still have my suspicions
basically, the tracking system you are talking about there is also RFID. However, it doesnt exist in the way you imagine it.

This could be described as an example of mass hysteria in the media. Right now, Tesco attach RFID chips into its crates and boxes and is looking into attaching them to high value goods (booze, games, DVD's etc). At the moment, they are not smaller than the passport - they are the same size. If you ever saw one, then it would look similar to the passport chip and antenna, but spread out a bit more.

Now, there are various cosnumer protection groups who have all of a sudden decided that we dont deserve Tescos snooping on the stuff we buy, and as a result have labelled them as spy chips. They cannot track you round the store, they would only ever be useful at the point of sale and at door scanners. So Tescos cannot actually tell how many things you pick up off the shelf, and from a legal standpoint, they would never be able to link you the person to the purchaes you make with out you firs agreeing to something, like some T&C's (you could do this automatically by visiting the till to make a purchase for instance).

Now, this is where the hysteria kicks in - these consumer groups should be spending their time trying to get better food and service from superstores, but instead they publish misleading articles based on their fear of the technology and their lack of understanding around it. After all, they would be mortified to hear that RFID has been used since the 60's

Again, as with the passport issue, there are a ot of easier and cheaper and subtler methods by which Tesco could track customers, such as with bluetooth etc. For instance, many of us havea mobile phone and many of us have bluetooth enabled on it all the time. This could be used to secretly track people. A more up front method would be to embed a bluetooth transmitter in the trolley or basket that can track your movement, the time you spend at the aisle. All RFID could do would be to tell you the total amoun of RFID tags present in the store at once, whilst a more granular picture could be created, it would require a lot of power, time and equipment.

Back