Biometric Passports

FUBAR69

Inactive User
Reaction score
The girl has just renewed her passport only to receive a "Biometric" passport.

You can actually see the electronic chip clearly inside the page, along with a antenna !!

Have read a few sites about these including the official ones.

I thought that we were to have a say about these ? surely they are an infringement on our human rights ?

They say the only information on the chip is the information on the photo page of the passport but I trust the goverment as for as I could throw 10 D**ning st.

The "antenna" is just for the machine to be able to read the chip ? but it is about 2 inches wide and an inch bridth.

Paranoia ?.....

It's not biometric
biometric would have fingerprint and iris scan data on it.

it is suppossed to make it easier as you should be able to just walk past a scanner but when i went to turkey in june they still wanted to look at it ?

When we were in Portugal last year, they had the scanners for them but very few people had the electronic passport so most still had to queue up for the normal passport check, electronic area seemed very quick.

I don't see what the problem is. If it helps speed up passport checks and prevents passport fraud and illegal immigration It can only be good. Your paranoia is misplaced here.

I have a normal passport (no chip) so not to sure of what happens here.

You get a new passport with a chip in it and instead of showing your passport to a human you can have the chip electronically read?

Does that mean there is no one there checking to see if the person holding the passport bares a slight resemblance to the person in the passport?

Does that mean there is no one there checking to see if the person holding the passport bares a slight resemblance to the person in the passport?

A visual check is still necessary, but theoretically it cuts down the delay if other details need checked. (e.g. football fans banned from travelling to away games}

Ahh ok thanx, like you im all for it. I know some say its against human rights etc but i dont have anything to hide and i want out of the airport asap. Last thing you want going on returning from holiday is a queue to have passport checked especially after waiting in a queue to check in!

I have a biometric passport, had one for about a year now. The only thing that bothers me about it was the price - but apparently I get a free ID card when they are introduced.

The details stored in the chip are identical to the details printed on the passport, the encryption key is actually printed on the edge of the thick, plastic coated part (the bit they normally swipe). Its quite funny to see the look of glee on some airport staff when they see its a biometric passport, they get to use the scanners for it.

These passports are actually biometric, due to the fact they store a picture of the holder on the chip. Our government is also considering putting fingerprints on them too (Gernany already does this).

It's not biometric
biometric would have fingerprint and iris scan data on it.

it is suppossed to make it easier as you should be able to just walk past a scanner but when i went to turkey in june they still wanted to look at it ?

So how dose the scanner know its you
So do we need a chip in are heads to match the one in the passport.
I think that why turkey like see the passports

the chip contains all the information printed on the last page of the passport. As it contains information on your physiology (your face) it is a biometric passport.

All immigration points will still want to see your passport as biometric passports do not remove the need for officials to check it - it needs to be swiped and visually checked.

Before the chip was introduced, passports were already machine readable - look on the card part, the last page. There are some numbers and letters on one edge wit arrows. This is the macine readable part of the passport.

ive had so many passports taken off me, or stamped in the back page i could probably pass for an immigrant lol

but as others have said, if it cuts waiting times, and combats terrorists etc then whats the problem? i also agree with a dna database as if it catches scumbags quicker then its a bonus. the only people who worry about these are those who have a reason for not being on it in my mind

can anyone tell me a reason for these types of passport,it`s no more safer than the old type?

can anyone tell me a reason for these types of passport,it`s no more safer than the old type?

Why not read the thread. It's all explained for you there, and yes, they are a lot safer and more secure.

I have a biometric passport, had one for about a year now. The only thing that bothers me about it was the price - but apparently I get a free ID card when they are introduced.

The details stored in the chip are identical to the details printed on the passport, the encryption key is actually printed on the edge of the thick, plastic coated part (the bit they normally swipe). Its quite funny to see the look of glee on some airport staff when they see its a biometric passport, they get to use the scanners for it.

These passports are actually biometric, due to the fact they store a picture of the holder on the chip. Our government is also considering putting fingerprints on them too (Gernany already does this).

hmm, didnt know that you get the ID card free if you have biometric passport.. not bad.. you have cheered me up by saving the money I would have paid to get one.. magic !!

Its not bad.. I was well chuffed with it when I got mine.. really curious to see what information is in the chip though... Happy with my photo caz the last one was when I was a vergin.. lol

FYI , i have read the thread and i still do not see how they are safer.i can point you to an article were you can read and get all the information off the chip with something bought on the internet for £95,now i do not know if you can do anything with this information or not.So once again how is it safer?
Why not read the thread. It's all explained for you there, and yes, they are a lot safer and more secure.

In what way are they safer and/or more secure ?

Its already known that other states have the ability to copy/forge these things (apparently Israel are a dab hand at it) so it wont be long before terrorists/criminals get the ability (especially state sponsored ones).

I have a sneaking suspicion that they are probably less safe because they will end up lulling people into a false sense of security. Seems to be yet another measure introduced so the various governments can keep tabs on their citizens rather than any real attempt to monitor terrorists etc.

my thoughts exactly and nowhere in this thread does it tell me that they are safer Nara.
In what way are they safer and/or more secure ?

Its already known that other states have the ability to copy/forge these things (apparently Israel are a dab hand at it) so it wont be long before terrorists/criminals get the ability (especially state sponsored ones).

I have a sneaking suspicion that they are probably less safe because they will end up lulling people into a false sense of security. Seems to be yet another measure introduced so the various governments can keep tabs on their citizens rather than any real attempt to monitor terrorists etc.

the israelis crack most things (just ask darkman lol), and funnily enough, its where skys encryption firms (NDS) head of security is from

but thats just a coincidence of course (yeh right)

Defo Biometric, the official website even gives you the option of adding fingerprint and iris data ( voluntary at mo )

Really don't agree that these are safer due to the fact human nature will kick in and officials will simply scan and not check, especially as new international standards demand ever quicker processing times at ports.

You only have to google this subject to know some journalists manages to compromise and clone these things very quickly.

The next time you visit El Sid and one of its many £10 a nite dens will you be happy to leave your shiny new (ready to be copied) passport for the customary first nite ?

And as for only containing information that is on the main page of your passport.

I only have one word...........PIFFLE

Back