Biometric Passports

the uk doesnt let anyone in without a passport. Schengen Treaty countries can get in with photo id - non eu countries need a passport.

As for hacking it, I wont be interested untill it supports HDMI and lets me get sky box office for free...

so is Iraq a eu country i didn't think it was

@ Karym6, only have to declare them on job app if not "spent" under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. lol

I don't think you guys are getting what Iam sayin, the goverment have put into place a system that was hacked in like 2 weeks, how long do you think it will be before some whizz kid can adapt and clone/mod one? if it has not been done already?

Then where will we be?

And as for information held on the chip, I do think they will carry more information than stated and as this information can easily be accessed yes I do mind!!

Infact, if you wanted to argue a point I think the goverment are in breach of DPA regs, as they have made my personal details insecure, and now they know it is insecure have done nothing about.

Now where is my solicitors number ....................................:Laugh:

when I got mine, it was quite soon after they were introduced, I popped over to glasgow to get it there and then as my old one got knicked just before I had to travel. They gave me a letter that entitles me to a free ID card, which was nice. I think possibky it was a special offer or something.

Karym6.. I got mine few weeks ago but they didnt say anything about a free ID Card ??? It would be great if you could get it free.. what does the letter look like.. is it a generic letter ? or an exclusive letter address to you..

PS. who cares they are safe or not.. what difference does it make.. its one way or another.. if passports are safer.. next thing you will hear that Inland Revenue lost a disc with our details on it.. which would cover for the passports being safe.. lol

maarksparky - I think mine was something unique when I gotthe pasport, it was just after they were introduced. Its not really a letter, its a certificate with some sort of holographic film over it (like on the info page on the passport). It says the UKPA and office of the home secretary hereby allows the named person (me) an National ID card for no cost. It also mentions some stuff about what happens if no ID card scheme gets started, I am supposed to surrender the certificate etc. There is an info leaflet t as well dscribing what the card will be used for, as well as a description of the size (its huge, not something you will fit in your wallet).

@oxkiller, you are quite right - Iraq is not an EU country. Also, its not a Schengen country either.

@Wonko, I would possibly argue that if the passport is only secure for 8 years, and valid for 10, then there is 8 years worth of savings to be made. As, if you say, it is only secure for those 8 years then the government stops having to spend money on extra checks to catch fake passports etc.

Finally, I would like to make a few points as it doesnt look like everyone commenting here is reading the entire thread. The biomeric passport only contains the info held on the last page, including you picture and signature. It doesnt contain your NI or payroll number. It doesnt contain your criminal record - and for good reason too, if you have a criminal record then as soon as it is put on the chip it is out of date - as it wont ever be updated to reflect your current record... Thus rendering the record on the chip out of date. Whether it tracks your international visits via immigration control - I just dont care.

Lastly, in the UK, if you have a criminal record and you apply for ajob then you have to own up if it asks you on the application form. If you dont, you are breaking the law.

If anyone is interested in the actual problems facing the biomeric passport, then I would suggest reading the link I posted earlier as this has ome very interesting (and impartial) reports on the whole thing. Of course this doesnt matter one bit if the government keeps leaving our details lying around in the pub after work now..

@Wonko, I would possibly argue that if the passport is only secure for 8 years, and valid for 10, then there is 8 years worth of savings to be made. As, if you say, it is only secure for those 8 years then the government stops having to spend money on extra checks to catch fake passports etc.
mp it doesnt mean that at all - if passports are on a 10 year renewal cycle - which for most people they are - then for the whole of that 10 years all checks need to be in place - as you would statistically still have some people under the old system even after 9years and 360 days

it's also all very well saying they would save money - they arent the ones spending money - we are - and we are being forced to buy into a system which has been shown to be insecure - and is alledgedly so insecure that with "a few years" home hackers (eg us) will be able to crack it

so when this system fails and my bank account is emptied exactly who's fault will it be?

Like I stated before I could have axed an entire family to death, 10 years after my custodial sentence has finished I am not required by law to declare it on a job app, there is of course some exceptions to this ie working with kids, the old and the like.....that is the law. Its called the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.

I would not personally trust the government in anything they say, I have had too many dealings with to many of it's departments to know they can be a tad economic with the truth

@wonko - I see what you are saying, but the checks would only need to be in place for the amount of time non-biometric passports are in circulation. This would naturally be less than a bimetric passport is valid for. Plus, I dont see how the system is any less secure than the older, non-biometric passports.

@fubar, if you apply for a job that specifcally asks you on the application form "do you have a criminal record" and you say no, then you are breaking the law. Even if you dont have an application form, but sign a contract that states you are offered the job based n you not having a criminal record, you are also breaking the law. You could also be sued for breach of contract.

As to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, you are in correct here also. If you did axe your family to death and went down for 10 years -you dont apply under this act, you can take a read if you like, its here: http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?activeTextDocId=1776430

Either way - when it come to the new biometric passport, you have very little chioce, regardless of your personal feelings towards the government. If you dont have one, then resign yourself to holidays in the UK only, as the UK isnt a Schengen country, you will need one to get back in... And if your job requires you to have a passport, you may want to change jobs...

@Karym6, cheers for that mate but you might want to read your own link~

(b)
a conviction which has become spent or any circumstances ancillary thereto, or any failure to disclose a spent conviction or any such circumstances, shall not be a proper ground for dismissing or excluding a person from any office, profession, occupation or employment, or for prejudicing him in any way in any occupation or employment.

The girl has just renewed her passport only to receive a "Biometric" passport.

You can actually see the electronic chip clearly inside the page, along with a antenna !!

Have read a few sites about these including the official ones.

I thought that we were to have a say about these ? surely they are an infringement on our human rights ?

They say the only information on the chip is the information on the photo page of the passport but I trust the goverment as for as I could throw 10 D**ning st.

The "antenna" is just for the machine to be able to read the chip ? but it is about 2 inches wide and an inch bridth.

Paranoia ?.....

Reading most of the replies,perhaps you are a tad paranoid.

Reading most of the replies,perhaps you are a tad paranoid.

lol, it doesl look that way eh?

Oh, and Fubar - I didnt say the act pevents you from getting into trouble if you fail to declare a criminal record, I postes the link to show you that you were wrong about the rehabilitation period.

If you sign a contract that states you have no criminal record - and you do actually have one and decide not to tell, then you are in breach of your contract. There is no argument against this.

Anyway, it doesnt matter one bit - the biometric passport doesnt store it so you have nothing to worry about.

Ok might take it on the chin the whole "axing the family into convienant size steaks" was a tad extreme lol

And am I seriously paranoid ? or a free thinker ? or just a Wan**r ? who knows lol

All I know is that we do take anything the government decide to shovel down our necks far too easily.

Our government has been caught on the hop far far too many times and it's MP's sent to prison for one thing or another, we as a country DO NOT CHALLENGE our elected members any where nearly enough.

History has shown us time and time again that the mix of power, money and unaccountability is a recipe for disaster every time.

Paranoid ?......or justifiably sceptical ?......

I dont think there is anything wrong with a healthy scepticism, without it life would be stagnant.

However, in this issue I think the government has probably taken the right path - other countries have rushed the biometric passport thing and are now paying the price, such as Germany who are recalling a huge porttion of their biometric passports.

We on the other hand, are content leaving the bank details of millions lying around on disks and laptops across the world, giving the ID thiefs any easy job. I doubt they are even bothering to try and crack our passports when they know they can pick up personal details from anywere ;)

ID Card why do i need a id card iam me i know who i am its just a tax for id
and more tax and more tax its a bit late for id all them disc browns mates lost
every one knows who i am

Still not convinced, and can anyone confirm that the antena is for reading the chip and nothing else?

I don't think I am being to dramatic because Tesco uses even smaller devices to find out where their customers are.......small tracking devices.

and being a free country that we are , you do not need to know who he is.
for instance, should I be a banker and he wanted a bank accont with me, then yes I would.

I didnt know that this being a free country means that we all need to be anonymous from eachother.

Anyway, whats the problem with carrying an ID card?

Still not convinced, and can anyone confirm that the antena is for reading the chip and nothing else?

I don't think I am being to dramatic because Tesco uses even smaller devices to find out where their customers are.......small tracking devices.

what els do you think the antenna is used for? Do a google o RFID and near field communication for common use etc, this is how the passport works.

As for tracking people, I am going to take a wild guess that the government couldnt give a rats ass aboutmy travel plans. A cheaper alternative would be to check up on my debit/credit card transactions with travel agencies.

@Karym6, is there any chance I can move to the country you live cause it sounds really nice there.......:bouncing:

Back