Biometric Passports

seems to me that a lot of people take whatever bullsh*t this government feeds them,all they are doing is playing on your fears,it`s no more safer than the old type of passport.

Nara please give me facts that show me these are safer as you seem to know.

Would love to see this proof of safer passports....... just Big Brother getting a tighter grip.........

hmm, didnt know that you get the ID card free if you have biometric passport.. not bad.. you have cheered me up by saving the money I would have paid to get one.. magic !!

Its not bad.. I was well chuffed with it when I got mine.. really curious to see what information is in the chip though... Happy with my photo caz the last one was when I was a vergin.. lol

when I got mine, it was quite soon after they were introduced, I popped over toglasgow to get it there and then as my old one got knicked just before I had to travel. They gave me a letter that entitles me to a free ID card, which was nice. I think possibky it was a special offer or something.

The stuff on the chip is no secret - you see the details on the stiff page at the back, well that is what is stored on there, it includes you face and signature. It can also store fingerprints, but not sure if our government will ever bother with that.

As for being safer, no idea about that - but it does mean it is nearly impossible to create a fake passport for a few years - the passport cant be validated with out the chip, and right now it is impossible for the chip to be tampered with. Once the encryption is broken, and it will get broken - and when it can be done cheaply, then it will be pointless. But for a few years at least, will be impossible to crack.

Last edited:
wow, just read some the other posts on this thread.

you guys must be really scared - the chip can be copied yes, but the data cant be altered yet. So if someone was to clone your biometric passport, they would still be carrying around your details with their face.

As to other info on the chip, what else do you think will be on there? I cant think of a single thing.

If you really wanted to get into L Ron Hubbard territory then you would be more worried about governments tracking your intecontinental travel plans via the chip as you pass through immigration. Or terrorists using weapons that target biometric passports based on your country of origin.

Guys, if you are that scared, dont leave the Schengen countries (joke in there if you can spot it)

seems to me that a lot of people take whatever bullsh*t this government feeds them,all they are doing is playing on your fears,it`s no more safer than the old type of passport.

Nara please give me facts that show me these are safer as you seem to know.

No Dave, we'll only end up going round in circles as usual. If you feel comfortable with your paranoia, that's ok with me. Be happy.

I always thought the chip was linked to sat nav etc to track your origin across the globe.
Does the chip have talkback?perhaps it can be hacked:toiletcla

whats the point in them when the uk lets any one in with or with out a Passport

whats the point in them when the uk lets any one in with or with out a Passport

the uk doesnt let anyone in without a passport. Schengen Treaty countries can get in with photo id - non eu countries need a passport.

As for hacking it, I wont be interested untill it supports HDMI and lets me get sky box office for free...

i have no paranoia,i`m not bothered what passport i have, i just asked a simple question,is it any safer than what we have now and you told me it was safer and more secure and that i needed to read the whole thread,and i can assure you that i had read the whole thread and i did not see any post giving me any facts that it was safer.
No Dave, we'll only end up going round in circles as usual. If you feel comfortable with your paranoia, that's ok with me. Be happy.

no, it wont take long - I happen to think it will take years before the system is cracked however.

In the meantime, it will be nearly impossible to fake a passport

I think information like criminal records, Social Security & such will be stored.

Why is everybody so happy about getting "free ID Cards"? surely you all know that is a Trojan horse for compulsary ID crds to be carried at all times.

It won't be long before the chip will be stuck in our necks and by the sound of it half you guys would be cool with it as long as you got something free with it !:FRIGHT:

In the meantime, it will be nearly impossible to fake a passport

BUT..........

being a law abiding british citizen, what do you care about fake passports?

you can prove you're you better than someone else can

feck me, if it meant i paid less tax and stuff, id have a fookin chip with gps tracking and whatever the hell else they wanted to know in my arm

ive got nothing to hide, the govt already has everything about you on file that they sell, share, lose and whatever else, if it makes adverts better for me as i walk past them then its all good lol

you do realise if they stuck a chip in you,you would be taxed on it.LOL
BUT..........

feck me, if it meant i paid less tax and stuff, id have a fookin chip with gps tracking and whatever the hell else they wanted to know in my arm

ive got nothing to hide, the govt already has everything about you on file that they sell, share, lose and whatever else, if it makes adverts better for me as i walk past them then its all good lol

BUT..........

I guess the only reason I worry about fake passports is because of the crimes that can be committed with them. This can be ID theft, illegal immigrancy and, lets face it, terrorism.

Whilst this doesnt prevent terrorists from using non-UK passports it does remove UK passports from the pool for the time being. To be honest, if it does actually help build a safer Britain, then I dont care - I will just assume that this scheme is working untill I hear other wise.

Also, Fubar - are you american? Social security as a concept isnt used to prove identity in the UK. All we have is a payroll number and an NI number, both of which identify us to the taxman. If the government want to plug that into a biometric passport (?) then so what? Its hardly sensitive data. And when it comes to criminal records, again, so what? If you have one you have to own up when applying for a job - plus, I am sure some part of the government will leave them lying around on a bunch of dvd-rs soon anyway.

so this wonderful not very secure chip - the security should be good for years? right? how many years? coz most passports last for 10 yrs - so a system thats only estimated to be good for 8 years isnt really worth setting up is it?

the whole concept is absolutely stupid - are terrorists actually going to use these passports? or are they going to find another way in - assuming that they arent home grown of course - something no one seems to be pointing out

so are these passports going to make you safer? imo no - firstly coz they have no intrinsic saftey features of relevance to the problem - and secondly coz in the very act of making them/using them people are persuaded they need to be more paranoid - ans paranoid people are much more dangerous than non paranoid people

Back