best graphics card

jammoboss

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have a pretty fast computer but being let down with a cheapy graphics card

im looking for a decent/latest graphics card which will suit a gamer. The main 4 i have looked at are :

Nvidia 9800gx2
Nvidia 280 gtx
nividia 295 gtx
ATI 4870x2

I have an intel motherboard so nvivida sli is out of the question but it supports crossfirex

any opinion will be greatful.

pc spec

Asus P5Q deluxe
intel core2 extreme q6850
4 gig ddr2 ram
maxtor sata 500 gig hard drive

What size and res is your monitor?

If it's 24"+ go for the 4870X2, unless you are only pushing it at 1680x1050 or less.

But don't forget to check that your PSU is upto the job: eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5

If you are looking to upgrade your monitor at the same time do some reading up on TN+Film, MVA, PVA and IPS to decide which one is best for you before splashing out.

i had a LG 22" monitor brand new, but i have sold it on ebay as i wanted a bigger one, at the moment i only got a hanns g 19" monitor so resolution has to stay low.

i got plenty of power, im using a ocz GameXstream 1010 watts

Bit-tech recon you'll be hard pushed to push a single GPU rig to a playable FPS rate on the resolutions common for 24"+ monitors (i.e. 1920x1200 or more), as such they are recommending the 4870x2 on thier monthly "what hardware to buy" feature in the 'premium player' rig.

So rather than you having to upgrade the card again when you find Crysis a bit laggy at the resolution of your larger monitor, take thier advice and go for the 4870X2 from the get go: Buy XFX Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB*HD-487A-CDF9 from CCL - Online Retailer of the Year 2008, 2007 & 2006 for laptops, desktops and computer hardware (use BIT50 for free delivery) - This is the the 2GB DDR5 model, there is also a 2GB DDR3 model and a 4GB DDR5 model (just to make you aware should you go shopping around).

Of course you could always grab one of these in a few days: Asus GeForce GTX 295 Mars Edition 4096MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card It's only £1000!

Back