AVforums member hardware reviews

Munkey

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've been a member of AVforums for a good few years now and whilst I haven't quite reached the dizzy post count that I have on these forums I would like to think that I have helped the odd member out whilst learning a bit myself.

In 2007 I did a controlled side by side comparison of two identical projectors with the only difference being resolution. On of the PJ's was 720p and the other was 1080p. My results showed that regardless of the source material there was no perceivable difference between the two. That thread reached under 20 posts will little or no comment from the 'video heavyweights' on that forum. There have been numerous other studies and double blind tests to illustrate the same results but to this day people still insist that there are significant differences between the two (with all things being equal) I guess this is a victory for the 1080p fan boys and the consumer electronic companies. Do a search for 'is 1080p better than 720p' and you find threads with hundreds of posts on the merits of why one is better than the other but without providing any evidence to support their findings.

I am now in the process of building my home theatre and thus have been reading the many threads written by the more experienced members who's opinions I hold in high regard reviewing 'high end audio'. So after reading why amplifier x is so much better than amplifier y I decided to do some testing of my own. I bought a load of second hand high end power amps and got my friend who is a sound engineer to set the amplifiers up with as close to perfect matched levels as possible. This would help me with the old subjectivists vs objectivists argument.

So the testing began and we tested out cheapy Japanese power amps vs their higher end brethren. Testing knowing which amp was better was easy, as generally the more expensive amplifiers sounded so much nicer. It was only when we decided to do some blind testing that I came unstuck as there was no way I could tell which amplifier cost ten times more or had the better sound. I'm not too embarrassed to say that they both sounded identical and there was no difference in sound, you just could not pick one over the other.

So when I hear some of the heavyweights on that forum describe sound as a food critic would describe his dinner I can only laugh. I mean FFS, how possibly can you use exotic metaphors to describe an electrical signal path or use similar metaphors to give a character to an amplifier? How can such unaccountable reviews by unqualified testers with no expertise in audio video carry so much weight when their testing methodology is seriously flawed? Some of the rationales used to support their arguments have no scientific support whatsoever and are based on ego size alone.

The truth is that AVforums and other AV sites are starting to become a joke. The administrators are more concerned with keeping their advertisers happy and letting the forum 'pugaloos' spout their garbage as it reinforces the forum ideals. That is not to say that the forums are all bad, there are some really great members who have great expertise and are willing to help and share their knowledge.

In the coming months I will be doing more testing and documenting all of my findings, hopefully it will stop a few of our members from buying expensive AV hardware and pretending that it sounds better than it's cheaper alternative.

munkey when you did the video test did you take your sunglasses off first LOL , just kidding. ...... with regards to 1080 and 720 there is a difference, it depends on first the quality of the sets if your talking a lesser make 720p and a highend 1080p it is noticeable, if your talking highend 720p and a high end 1080p its difficult to tell.

end of the day those reviews are made on a persons perception and as we know we are not the same. i normally use it as a guideline then check for myself if it suits me. i've been a part of that forum and I get your point about so called 'know it alls' making statements when they have no engineering skills in those fields.

Last edited:
'Well I prefer the earthy woody tones resonating from a Sony XW-56X.'

You're right munkey. As with any enthusiast pursuit people become pretentious and reputation dictates quality and not actual testing and scientific comparison.

I have done it myself with Cuban cigars (If I was to be honest, could I tell a Hoyo De Monterey from a good Dominican robusto, probably not?).

munkey when you did the video test did you take your sunglasses off first LOL , just kidding. ...... with regards to 1080 and 720 there is a difference, it depends on first the quality of the sets if your talking a lesser make 720p and a highend 1080p it is noticeable, if your talking highend 720p and a high end 1080p its difficult to tell.

I am not an AV guy but I am sure size is one of the most important factors.

Can anyone tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 22 inch screen?

From what I've heard, you need to go well beyond 40" to tell the difference.

im with you mate! come across these sorts of geeks and freaks all day long, they quote products discontinued in the 50's and expect my face to light up in some sort of an orgasmic recognition.

I hate hifi "enthusiasts" with their stupid anecdotes on squashball dampening and the wonders of blutack and paving slabs

let em rot, we should pad out our av section with a review bit dont you think?

I have a home theatre setup, and used to buy home cinema, and what hifi magazines to help me decide on what to buy.

But these experts live in every walk of life, and tend to come across jumped up.

Me I bought the 5 star rated appliances from what home cinema, and I am still (2 years down the line) very happy with the setup... I cannot tell the difference either, the dreambox I have from the scart looks great (in my opinion lol) ;)

Mickie

@logic_187 - you're based not too far away from me, when my HT is complete you are more than welcome to come over for a cup of tea and some fine home baked biscuits. Oh and I'll show you the negligible difference between 1080p and 720p. My video tests were performed on my old Sharp Z12000 MkII which cost £9k new and the Sharp Z20000 which cost around £7k new but went down to £1500 in the Lasky's blow out. You really couldn't ask for better matched PJ's for a ABX comparison. Do a google for Athens shoot out over at AVS and you'll find more double blind tests that reinforce my findings.

Mozr even on my 9' wide screen you would be extremely hard pressed to see any differences between 1080p and 720p at a normal seating distance of around 15'.

Hawkish I'm going to try and write a article on ABX testing for amplifiers when my listening room is complete. I'll be armed with a room that could double as a recording studio so the whole 'poor room & vibrations/reflections' argument will be thrown out of the window. I have a sound engineer friend who will help in all equalisation and level matching so there simply will be no excuses for anyone who can't tell the difference between cheap or moderately priced gear and high end remortage your house equipment.

The question is which wannabe audiophile from AVforums if any will be ready to put their reputation on the line and bring their amp over for some ABX testing. I look forward to a good fight, so many chumps to choose from.

Ignorance is bliss Mickie :) but it's too late for some of us.

@ Munkey.

As i can see you have a fir amount of knowledge about higher quality audio/video set ups.
I have an unrelated question for you ...

Is there any point to a gold plated tip fibre optic cable, i believe there is none, do you know anything about this?

Jama.

Munkey don’t just stop at the kit, check the credentials of your sound engineer as well. I too have a mate, who does professional CD mastering as well as some consultative work for the BBC and he swears that some of the people who call themselves ‘sound engineers’ are a bunch of muppets. Now, I am not suggesting that your mate is a muppet but I am saying that even sound engineers have a very different perception of what is right and they’re the professionals – what hope is there for us mere mortals!?!

Anyway, I’ve been bitten by both the hifi and home cinema bug before, and having spent several thousand of pounds on the latest Lexicon, Lumagen, Nordost and LINN kit, I came to the realisation that the pace of technology changes far too quickly for me and so I have simplified significantly in recent years. That and the fact that my kids pushed in the super tweeters on my high-end B&W speakers so they are now in the loft with most of the rest of my kit.

BTW, the two changes I would recommend based upon my own empirical evidenence are: 1) ISF calibration on your plasma, projector, etc. And 2) Isotek mains conditioning – something like a GII MiniSub which made a noticeable difference to picture quality on my plasma, so much so that even my wife commented on it.

@ Munkey.

As i can see you have a fir amount of knowledge about higher quality audio/video set ups.

Is there any point to a gold plated tip fibre optic cable, i believe there is none, do you know anything about this?

Jama.

Absolutely none unless the cable is very long. Save your money, a coat hanger would work if you could get it to fit.

Munkey don’t just stop at the kit, check the credentials of your sound engineer as well. I too have a mate, who does professional CD mastering as well as some consultative work for the BBC and he swears that some of the people who call themselves ‘sound engineers’ are a bunch of muppets. Now, I am not suggesting that your mate is a muppet but I am saying that even sound engineers have a very different perception of what is right and they’re the professionals – what hope is there for us mere mortals!?!

Anyway, I’ve been bitten by both the hifi and home cinema bug before, and having spent several thousand of pounds on the latest Lexicon, Lumagen, Nordost and LINN kit, I came to the realisation that the pace of technology changes far too quickly for me and so I have simplified significantly in recent years. That and the fact that my kids pushed in the super tweeters on my high-end B&W speakers so they are now in the loft with most of the rest of my kit.

BTW, the two changes I would recommend based upon my own empirical evidenence are: 1) ISF calibration on your plasma, projector, etc. And 2) Isotek mains conditioning – something like a GII MiniSub which made a noticeable difference to picture quality on my plasma, so much so that even my wife commented on it.

My friend is a sound engineer with over 15 years experience in mastering and music production with many musical artists. The guy knows his stuff and is not one of those self taught guys either, he has learnt from school as well as the recording studio. Sound engineers are the last of the 'golden ears' generation. The majority of people simply cannot heart the difference and the so called heavy weights cannot even match line levels or think that it is done through the volume control :FRIGHT:

Mr Singh I'm going to agree with you on speakers as that is the only thing I really would consider splashing my hard earned cash on, but amps, source players and av receivers generally all sound the same. I will disagree with you on mains conditioners though as I've never heard any difference using one in a blind test but you are more than welcome to come over and sit through a double blind test and hear for yourself.

So far as ISF goes my plasma was professionally done by Gordon @ Convergent (I bought it second hand already calibrated) but the rest of my display devices were calibrated by myself using a mid end colour meter and free software. All are calibrated to D65 using a Lumagen HDQ.

Thanks for your input.

That and the fact that my kids pushed in the super tweeters on my high-end B&W speakers

Same thing happened to my B&W's.What is it with kids and shiney tweeters? :Laugh:

The PMC's i have now all have the grill covers fitted :sneaky:

I'm a member on the AVforums and i do sometimes wonder how they get to their conclusions or how they describe a certain bit of kit.
Maybe it's the thought of having paid a couple of grand for an amp and it not sounding much better than my £300 Onkyo that they have to 'big it up'

@ Munkey.

Jama.

I know this was @ munkey but there is only two types of optical cable in existance and they are both top notch for av connection, gold plating for the anchor plug is also totally pointless m8, just a bit of a con that save your cash and plumb for the cheapest you can lay your hands on

Mr Singh I'm going to agree with you on speakers as that is the only thing I really would consider splashing my hard earned cash on, but amps, source players and av receivers generally all sound the same. I will disagree with you on mains conditioners though as I've never heard any difference using one in a blind test but you are more than welcome to come over and sit through a double blind test and hear for yourself.

I didn't hear any difference on the sound side of things either, as I said the difference was with the picture. I find that with movies it all sounds the bloody same - crash, bang, wallop, etc... a decent sub with good integration with a good set of speakers is really all you need.

Re. Music reproduction, specifically CD or SACD high end kit can make a difference; however, given the convenience of compressed audio I can no longer justify the cost associated with specific hifi hardware.

So far as ISF goes my plasma was professionally done by Gordon @ Convergent (I bought it second hand already calibrated) but the rest of my display devices were calibrated by myself using a mid end colour meter and free software. All are calibrated to D65 using a Lumagen HDQ.

Gordan did mine as well, he does come highly recommended and rightly so. Which colour analyzer did you use or would you recommend?

Definitely, keep us up to date on your progress as it would be good to see what kit you finally settle on and why.

I'm a member on the AVforums and i do sometimes wonder how they get to their conclusions or how they describe a certain bit of kit.
Maybe it's the thought of having paid a couple of grand for an amp and it not sounding much better than my £300 Onkyo that they have to 'big it up'

Spot on Oily!

Nice to see some PMC's on the forum, I think they're a great speaker manufacturer, I came very close to ordering a pair of Wafer II's.

I didn't hear any difference on the sound side of things either, as I said the difference was with the picture. I find that with movies it all sounds the bloody same - crash, bang, wallop, etc... a decent sub with good integration with a good set of speakers is really all you need.

Re. Music reproduction, specifically CD or SACD high end kit can make a difference; however, given the convenience of compressed audio I can no longer justify the cost associated with specific hifi hardware.

Gordan did mine as well, he does come highly recommended and rightly so. Which colour analyzer did you use or would you recommend?

Definitely, keep us up to date on your progress as it would be good to see what kit you finally settle on and why.

I use a Eye One Display LT for all of my calibration needs. I calibrated my Fuji 58 series using it and compared it to Gordan's, there was a difference in his calibration as the shadow detail was better. The pro's with their high end instruments are the real daddy's but we can get close with a lot of time and patience spent with more moderately priced gear. If I only had one display I'd get it professionally calibrated but with 2 PJ's and 2 TV's I'm forced to go the DIY route.

So far I've settled on the displays which shall be

Panasonic PWD8 Office/Games room
Fuji 58 series 42" Living room
Fuji 58 series 50" Kitchen/Diner
JVC HD1 Home Theatre/Matted Gym Area
Stewart Firehawk Perforated Curved appx 9' wide
ISCO II Home Theatre/Matted Gym Area with a custom built remote slide out of Lego
Sharp Z12000 Mk II Office/Games room.

I've done months of testing and have settled for M&K in walls for the HT and Linn in walls for the rest of the house (excluding living room). Hmm that's quite a list, maybe I'll start a thread on my whole build, there's so much more to add now that I'm listing it all.

why not start a new categorie in here. i dont have a clue about sound and tech stuff for the house, it could be a way to learn just for DW members. i like reading about it and it sounds good, maybe others would like it too. people are always asking 'wich TV LCD or plasma.... blah blah. maybe we could put it all in a categorie of its own for help and discussion.

why not start a new categorie in here. i dont have a clue about sound and tech stuff for the house, it could be a way to learn just for DW members. i like reading about it and it sounds good, maybe others would like it too. people are always asking 'wich TV LCD or plasma.... blah blah. maybe we could put it all in a categorie of its own for help and discussion.

There is one already.

AV & HOME CINEMA - Digital World

If you haven't read it yet check out Hawkish's excellent thread on what TV to buy. (Come on mods it gotta be worth a sticky!)

The guy who quotes all the LED specs at the bottom of the thread is typical of a AV noob who has been sold on all that marketing crap we get rammed down our throats. It is very difficult to tell people that a low number such as 720p in the case of video can be equal to a much higher number in the form of 1080p. People just don't want to buy something that they have been lead to believe is inferior.

Personally speaking I'm going to try and write a piece on 2 channel audio and will test in a controlled environment and will include double blind tests to verify my findings. I bet people still refuse to believe and try and pick holes in my testing methodology.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see some PMC's on the forum, I think they're a great speaker manufacturer, I came very close to ordering a pair of Wafer II's.

They were a present to myself :banana:

I looked at the Wafers,just couldn't bring myself to part with so much :FRIGHT:
That and getting a slap from the missis : spank :

it was under terrestial tv m8, never saw that. its not where i would have put it, but thx for pointing out to me.

Ditto, after all these years I've only just found this out to. I wonder what other surprises are hidden in the other areas.

Back