Audio but no Video

Zoom7000

Inactive User
Reaction score
It had been a while so I decided to do a format. I reformatted and reinstalled all my applications back to the state I had before the format, however, since the format, all my videos no longer play properly. I can hear audio, but get a black screen. The same goes for my TV Tuner. It comes with its own software. But again, audio but no picture. I tried watching Divx videos on Stage6 - same problem! I've got the K-lite Mega Codec Pack installed and I am sure I have the same level of codecs as before the format.

However, here is where the problem gets weird. If I turn off Hardware Accelaration or if I go to dxdiag and turn off the Direct Draw then the videos work, but they are quite clearly "fuzzy" rough edges and movement lines.

If I update my GPU (GeForce 6200A) to the latest drivers, then it goes all haywire. So I am currently using nvidia forceware release 94.24. Is it my graphics card that is causing the issue? Why would a format cause the issue?

I remember after my last format having the same problems with the NVIDIA drivers.

I played with some of the settings in video overlay and it started working. I can't remember what was done exactly.

Some bug in NVIDIA's software probably.

It's annoying. I do formats all the time both at home and at work. I've been using the same nvidia drivers for ages with no problems, so it is very unusual. I'm gonna try older drivers and see what effect they have.

Where can I find these Video Overlay settings?

Fixed! You won't believe how silly a fix it was, it didn't like the fact that I was using both the VGA and DVI inputs. The minute I disconnected the VGA, it burst into life! It's silly! There must be a way to get it working, for example if I was using a Dual Monitor setup. I'd want it to work, but I'm not for now so I'll leave it at that.

Interesting that as I use both DVI and VGA ports on dual monitors.

Video overlay is somewhere in the NVIDIA menu on right-clicking the desktop.

Back