atx psu 20 pin

allroad

Inactive User
Reaction score
guys i got a new atx psu 550 for the server yesterday but the main power supply (which connects to the mb is only 20 pin the connector on the mb is 24 pin the lead connects ok but leaves 4 pins unconnected is this ok ? or is there psu's with 24 pin power connectors ???

Dutcho said:
ht!p://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42020&item=6738309442&rd=1
mmm just saw that ian cheers but doseent end for 3 days and would be a week before it arrived (if i won it lol)

i still think that 4 pin plug on the psu is the extra 4 pin plug required to make the 20 pin into a 24 pin. as the psu says its for atx and p4 but would not conect it that way unless i was sure. so better to find out first. but it may also not go into the the atx12v where you were useing it on the mobo. does it have a manual with the psu .

just been reading up on this and you will need the adaptor to 24 pin in some setups you can just use the 20 pin so the plug is inserted to the far right( image)but it may cause the system to freeze

Just been studying the manual, looks like you need the newer EATXPSU which is 24 rather than 20, as damage said if there is an adapter you will need one. I think the E is for enhanced.

The other plugs are:

4-PIN ATX+12V - Dont forget to connect this or the system will not boot.

40PIN ATX +12v EZ_PLUG. When using 2 graphics cards do not forget to connect, otherwise the system may become unstable.

CAUTION
Dont be tempted to try as it is I have just compared the wiring pin outs for ATX and EATX they are slightly different.

I would highly recommend you purchase the correct PSU as the pin voltages are also different.
The place you bought it might let you swap it for the enhanced one.

The m/b is a PCI Express one, that's why it uses a 24 pin power connector.
Either need a psu with 24 pin connector on, or some sort of converting cable.

Here's a link for one from my usual supplier of pc bits h**p://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=153575

or an alternative supplier h**p://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/product.php?productid=18220

Hope that helps?

Have you got this sorted yet

Hiya Allroad
I might be able to get you one of these i just need to ring my supplier
The 24 pin version is the new connector and they are calling it ATX Ver2
Hope you have plenty of money as these are not cheap.
I will let you know and post on here

Cheers

Big-AL
:Cheers:

Just a quickie Allroad
Can you measure the connector on the board in millimeters. It should be about 600mm
And if it is i can get you one no prob

Big-AL
:Cheers:

@ big al i am so confussed now 1 post says get the 24pin adapter and another says dont it will damage the board what the feck am i ment to do here

Back