atx psu 20 pin

allroad

Inactive User
Reaction score
guys i got a new atx psu 550 for the server yesterday but the main power supply (which connects to the mb is only 20 pin the connector on the mb is 24 pin the lead connects ok but leaves 4 pins unconnected is this ok ? or is there psu's with 24 pin power connectors ???

does it power up ok? most psu's now come with the standard 20 pin atx connector and have a small 4 pin plug that you have to use for p4 mobos makeing it up to 24 pin

Hi m8 i think the other 4 pins are for the seperate connector from the PSU. This it the power supply for a P4 chip.

If you look on the leads from the PSU there should be one that will just fit nicely into the missing pins.

the mb is a asus a8n - sli deluxe there is another 4 pin connector but it goes elsewhere on the board the problem with the 20 pin connecter is it fits ok ( i havent powered up just in case as the plastic release clip on the connectors dont line up

what make is the psu ? you should have the 20 pin and a 4 pin with p4 on it if not i don't think it will work. unless there is a adaptor on the market i know there is one for 24pin to 20 not sure if there is a 20 to 24 pin one though

You may need a special PSU for the motherboard it should tell you in the manual what type of power supply, usually on the first few pages where it gives you the features on the board.

that why i think there shuld be 2x4 pin plugs from the psu +p4 and a p4 the vga is 6 pin i think. it says if useing 2 graphics card use the +12 4 pin plug so if there is only one 4 pin plug maybe the psu does not have a +12 just a p4 plug

Back