asbestos

adam

Inactive User
Reaction score
ok i heard on the radio today how asbestos is a problem for younger tradesmen today as they dont really know about it so i had a google expecting to see pictures of what sort of thing i should be avoiding but it just doesnt seem to be that clear. everything mentions that asbestos was found in 'tests' amongst reports of how painfully dangerous it is. otherwise it just seems to be in everything. what the hell do i do?
i'm a jack of all, and a clever one so i dont just hang pics :) i have only months til the end of my life (30) so am becoming increasingly worried about my own mortality. i question every cigarette and hesiitate about having a drink so obviously i dont want to risk inhaling the wrong thing at work. i am now really worried about asbestos - i guess i always assumed if i saw some it would be bright red with undertones of poisonous. what should i do now? where do i look for info? please help me

ps 4wks curfew if you wondered :)

i'm a jack of all, and a clever one so i dont just hang pics :)

LOL. Not a very clever one if you've been breathing in asbestos for your working life.
You need to go and get a spirometer test done at the docs and take it from there. That will warn you about any abnormal lung damage that may have occurred.

If your working in a business enviroment, then by law they have to keep a health and saftey report detailing where asbestoes is located. Residential households have mostly been renovated and cleared of it where it can come into driect contact with people, but be carefull in roof spaces. The local counsil have to keep details of where it is located in their properties.

Make yourself aware of the various forms of it, and how to deal with it.

When working in places you are unsure of, wear a mask. Bare boards are quite safe unless you damage them and release the dust. Create a weak solution of water and PVA and apply to areas suspected of asbestoes dust, this makes them safe to work around, but dont damage them.

The sad fact is ... if you have inhaled dust there is nothing you can do. But it is a substance that has mostly been dealt with in this day and age.

Dont worry about what might have been, be carefull from now on and be aware of the dangers in the future and im sure you will be ok.

im a young tradesman....plasterer, and tape and jointer.....

i know anuff about asbestos to keep safe,but i dont really come in to contact with it as i work on new build jobs.....

is deadly stuff.....

got to doctors if you think you have been in close contact with it...all tho im sure it has to be air born fisrt...

becareful around chimney breasts and drilling or chasing.

It can be anywhere from the artex on ceilings to fusebox surrounds... it used to be mixed with cement on cement boards.

6 Electricians a week die from asbestos, when drilling holes where a mask (i know easy enough said) basically walk around in a mask all day lol.

Old flooring can contain asbestos, so can the older vinyl tiles.

I normally look at the house and give it a rough date of build and say this place will contain asbestos because its in nearly every building i go in.

Staircases can be borded with asbestos, the worst is the lagging they used to use on pipes... one of my pals removes it for a living and he said be careful with the old lagging on pipes and the blue types of asbestos.

I had a bad exposure about 7 years ago to asbestos and only time will tell lol but there is no point worry about the past it is what it is and if people have had exposures i would say either get on with it or go and find out.... me personally i do not want to know.

but it seems lol i get chest infections 2 times a year now lol

Regards
Mickie D

I have been in the electrical game for 40 years, and know that I have had a lot of exposure to asbestos under floor voids etc, my father 79 years old used as a plumber used to mix asbestos in a bucket breathing in the dust, no effects on his health as yet, just the luck of the draw I suppose. When working in commercial buildings allways ask for their asbestos register its law that businesses keep one for the premises, espicially a problem in our schools poor little kids eh

im only 23, ive been on a few jobs where the asbestos team have come in and removed some asbestos, not all was removed i refused to work in the part that contained the asbestos, my gaffa understood why i rejected and we rerouted the cable tray else where.

heres some info mate, becareful out there.

Asbestos

This site is fantastic for those who do not know what it looks like and you will be shocked that it has been used in almost every way to build in a house hold

asbestos gallery - asbestos photos

Fantastic site with pictures so you can see what it looks like

nice find mickie

it also pays to have a survey done if your unsure, may cost money but id rather pay with money rather than pay with my life.

You all know how dangerous it is, a lot more now than a few decades ago. My dad died of Asbestosis, he didnt even know he had it until 2 years before he died. He was a spark working in the ship yard and thats where they say he got it.

Better save than sorry guys even if it cost a little extra.

thanks for all the help, plenty of info on those links that'll keep me busy

Its important to get any exposure/suspected exposure logged by writing to your employer, owner of the premises, and/or union, and seeing by your doctor. Get a record in writing somehow. Otherwise there is not much chance of compensation for you or your family if you end up with asbestos troubles years down the line.

I was exposed to dust back in the 90's when installing a network. Turned out that the partitions I had been happily drilling were asbestos. The union I was in back then confirmed and logged the facts, copy to my employers. Some are really clued up on this. See here: Asbestos Register is Launched

Good luck and good health.

Back