Anyone got the Chinese VU+ Solo2

IAmaTeaf have you checked the v3 again see will it connect to the box and flash as you did before and if it does then i would flash the box with blackhole 2.0.9 from the VU-HD site just to be safe then do a factory reset then i would flash the box with OPENVIX-Helios vu+solo2 20140514 from that site aswell just to make sure that the v3 is doing it,s job and then i would try flash v4 chip upgrade date 6/9/14 and if that work,s you can use the lastest blackhole from the vu-hd site !! regards dubliner

IAmaTeaf have you checked the v3 again see will it connect to the box and flash as you did before and if it does then i would flash the box with blackhole 2.0.9 from the VU-HD site just to be safe then do a factory reset then i would flash the box with OPENVIX-Helios vu+solo2 20140514 from that site aswell just to make sure that the v3 is doing it,s job and then i would try flash v4 chip upgrade date 6/9/14 and if that work,s you can use the lastest blackhole from the vu-hd site !! regards dubliner

I tried the updates for both v2 and v3 but get exactly the same, the update program just doesn't start no matter how many times I power on the box.

It must be something to do with the startup of the box, I'm going to track the start up process using Putty as there must be a sequence of characters that the update program is waiting for which tells it to start.

Would be great if somebody with a box which successfully update to v4 can also do the same so that I can then compare.

Just seen your last post IAmaTeaf have you install any new windows updates on your laptop and have you have tryed a system restore point back a few weeks or month,s even mybe this could fix the problem or if your useing a usb adaptor then try installing the drivers again .

Just seen your last post IAmaTeaf have you install any new windows updates on your laptop and have you have tryed a system restore point back a few weeks or month,s even mybe this could fix the problem or if your useing a usb adaptor then try installing the drivers again .

Updates will have been installed as I always keep the laptop updated. No USB adapter as I've got a docking station for the laptop which has a real COM port.

I'm going to install Windows XP on one of old desktop computers tomorrow to see if that makes a difference but I somehow doubt that it will.

IAmTeaf if you tell the step by step guide for putty i would gladly help you out man .

I updated smoothly to v4 SOLO2 added BH 2.3.0 has added CCcam 2.2.1
same as I used on BH2.2.0
in the new BH 2.3.0 I get no card readers works.
see CCcam works but can not use the card reader (conax card)?
others here who have tested the card reader?
this is SOLO2 SE model I tested, someone here with SOLO2 who have tested
Card reader Works?

Fankoosh you have to us AJT guide first in this link http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/vu-solo2-receivers-633/391241-upgrading-vu-solo2-clone.html big thanks to him for that ,after you,ve flashed the FPGA update then flash AJT,s blackhole 2.0.9 clonesafe which can be found in DWZ download section just to be safe , then use ALIRAZA63 guide for the v3 upadte http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/vu-solo2-receivers-633/395812-solo-2-update-ver.html big thanks to him for that aswell,then try a image from vu-hd site but not blackhole 2.3.0 as you need v4 upgrade for this, just to make sure the v3 worked and then i,d do the v4 upgrade the same way you did the v3 upgrade then you can use blackhole 2.3.0 if you want ,as always this is at your own risk hope this helps regards dubliner

Afternoon lad,s good news openvix Apollo 29 vu solo2 clonesafe has been uploaded the VU-HD site ,now you need to have the v4 flash chip firmeware upgrade to use this image so be careful lads ,regards dubliner

Afternoon lad,s good news openvix Apollo 29 vu solo2 clonesafe has been uploaded the VU-HD site ,now you need to have the v4 flash chip firmeware upgrade to use this image so be careful lads ,regards dubliner

great they seem to be supporting it good, with apollo getting updates still, it could brick the box, i have the vu solo2 se mini which seems you can recover via com port looking at the pdf , but where is the bootloader , i kind of figured the rest out, instructions could be better

Thanks

Well lad,s i flashed this image and everything so far seem,s to be ok ,and i think where usein new driver,s what do you think lads have look at pics
IMG_0111.JPGIMG_0112.JPG

The image has been doctored, you can tell as the ViX info screen has a drivers date of 29/09/2014 but the actual drivers have a date of 30/09/2014, presumably the date on which they were copied? And, I've not checked back but they look like the same files as used in the BH image that you posted earlier, which again might be considered strange as BH always seem to use their own variant but ViX stick to those released by Vu.

The acid test I suppose would be to use an unaltered ViX image to confirm but then you do run the risk of shagging the box if the TB fires.

I still haven't managed to get my box to take the v4 update and although I hate saying this I've no idea why it used to work and now no longer doesn't.

i Should have 2 chips coming in this week with 2 boxes for friend,s and i got her to put two spare chips in for free ,so when i get them i,ll have a go with a original image as me mate will replace the flash chip for free if i brick again , and could you not get a lend of a friends laptop for a hour have a go with the v4 get yourself on the lastest openvix apollo usein this now box seem,s to be much faster now it,s worth a try .

i Should have 2 chips coming in this week with 2 boxes for friend,s and i got her to put two spare chips in for free ,so when i get them i,ll have a go with a original image as me mate will replace the flash chip for free if i brick again , and could you not get a lend of a friends laptop for a hour have a go with the v4 get yourself on the lastest openvix apollo usein this now box seem,s to be much faster now it,s worth a try .

I don't think it's the laptop to be honest, as I said I've used that laptop before to do my box and 2 other boxes of people from these forums without any issues.

Current plan is to splat Windows XP onto an old desktop that I have which also has a real COM1 port and if that fails then I'm totally stumped and baffled.

I updated smoothly to v4 SOLO2 added BH 2.3.0 has added CCcam 2.2.1
same as I used on BH2.2.0
in the new BH 2.3.0 I get no card readers works.
see CCcam works but can not use the card reader (conax card)?
others here who have tested the card reader?
this is SOLO2 SE model I tested, someone here with SOLO2 who have tested Card reader Works?

I haved same Card reader problem not work with solo2 mini, and problem with tuner B channel not working, then i recording with tuner A

I haved same Card reader problem not work with solo2 mini, and problem with tuner B channel not working, then i recording with tuner A

Anyone here with SOLO2 having the same problem with the new BH 2.3.0
or is this just a problem with SOLO2 mini and SOLO2 SE

Anyone here with SOLO2 having the same problem with the new BH 2.3.0
or is this just a problem with SOLO2 mini and SOLO2 SE

Maybe no one here who use card reader with card on Vu:Cheers:

Last edited:
I've read on another forum that somebody there had a problem with updating 1 of their boxes but it worked on another so they removed the RS232 daughter board from the working and soldered in into the non working and they were then able to do the update.

Looking at the daughter board there's not much on it to go wrong that I can see and it does look like a standard RS232 daughter board so I'm going to hunt around to see if I can find a replacement which I might be able to "hack wire" into place to see if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Looking at some online pics the Vu Duo has a similar looking board, will have a look at my original Duo but won't be taking that apart but I do have a clone which a friend of mine is using so I might wander over there tonight with a soldering iron to butcher the clone :proud:

Last edited:
Well the post on the other forums turned out to be spot on.

I setup my old desktop with Windows XP and tried running the update using XP but again no go. So I tried using putty and again I got no output. So I removed the daughter board, had a look at it then did a quick trace of the pinouts. I then went through my bag of old bits and components and found a mini RS232 board that looked like it would do so then did a quick trace to check the pinouts and then hack wired it to my solo2. By hack wired I mean I just ran wires from the connections on the board to the solo2. What I did isn't for the faint hearted and when doing this I was ready to click an order another box in case this one decided to go pop. :proud:

Tried putty and this time I got this as an output:

putty.JPG

So then decided to run the update and it started and downloaded successfully, so my Solo2 is now running v4, HOO-BLOODY-RAH!

So the update program must be looking for the output that I saw in putty as a trigger, if the RS232 port stops working for whatever reason and doesn't produce that output then the update program never starts no matter how many times you restart the box.

The real question is why a working RS232 board just randomly stopped working, the answer is I don't know and probably never will.

Back