anyone else been having trouble with svchost?

TBC

Inactive User
Reaction score
I been having problems with svchost.exe crashing and removing my volume mixer controls. not a real big problem except for the fact it is my media PC connected to the fookin tv lol.

I went to download some updates and got the your windows aint genuine message lol, at which point i remembered it was setup on the fly as a test and i forgot about it lol. Anyway I diactivated changed the key and then reactivated it (corporate so no phone activation). anyway got it past wga checks so downloaded sp3 and installed. So far tbh it has been fine but the odd thing is i do not allow updates to it, never have and not added any software to it for over a year lol.

I just can't figure out why i was getting the DEP error and svchost crashing, has anyone had anything like this recently?

Yeah svchost causes numerous problems some of them being fairly obscure. I have also noticed that some of these issues result in auto updates being turned on!!!! Damned clever folks at MS once in a while!

Last edited:
I found a snippet on editing the registry which absolved the problem after it returned, i will dig it out and post it.. On a side note i got impatient the other day and whipped the power on that mediapc so as to move it out for servicing and cleaning.. Needless to say it corrupted windows so it went into a repetetive booting cycle lmao - i had to reinstall the OS anyway in the end as i couldn't login to repair it :) I have now used a legit O/S and used trueimage to back it up to one of its alternate drives lol.

Back