Anybody Care To Try Their pashionts with compleate novice!!

no im not,i got a wireless router from a friend yesterday, all he gave me with it was the power supply and what looks like an earthnet cable, no cd an no usb,so all iv got is a modem an earthnet from that to my pc. as i say, compleate novice with pc and box,total fookin noobie lol,thanks for reading and replying
Another thing iv had winrar on the computer since i got it an im not entirley sure how to use it, lol
when i open winrar up and try open the latest thing iv downloaded,i get adiagnostic message saying " theprocess cannot accss the file because it is being use by another process" Me thinks am a lost fookin cause!!!

Go to pc world or similar and buy a crossover cable that way you can connect direct from your pc to the dreambox. Once you have it try the ftp thread i linked it should work . Not sure about your winrar. Try posting a seperate thread in the pc section for that m8.
Once you have your crossover and if your still stuck give a shout out m8

kevlinks72;next a small box will appear with PERFORM FLASH ERASE said:
I don't want to hijack your thread m8, but thought it be a idea to ask this here then start a new thread.

I don't normlly do dream box but only do it ocssionly for a m8, slight problem, i installed a new image today with the latest fix from smirnoff using dream up, i done everything right however when i gave me an option to perfrom flash erase....guess what i pressed yes, whats the conciquence in me performing a fash erase, i got no way to check the box at the moment coz the donut forgot to give me the remote.

Last edited:
:Biggrin2:
Go to pc world or similar and buy a crossover cable that way you can connect direct from your pc to the dreambox. Once you have it try the ftp thread i linked it should work . Not sure about your winrar. Try posting a seperate thread in the pc section for that m8.
Once you have your crossover and if your still stuck give a shout out m8

hi there people, just got my router set up, recently bought a cross over cable (or what am lead to beleive is one) so anyway im desperatly needing help,as i say everything is set up but for some reason still cant see my box on pc. And if i go start,run cmd ftp ip ad of box, it comes up connected then about 20 seconds later it says connection stopped by host. im a totall novice with pc and also with box if you havent yet realised that,any help would be appreciated. i got the box a few months ago 500c with D.W.2.1 image was working fine untill the k*s rolled on the numerous occasions before xmas,so manually put them in each time. i mean my box is working fine just now and has been for the last couple of weeks, i was just wanting to put the new rom7 fix in ect ect,and also it will help me for future reffrence, as i say box works fine except sly sports 1 keeps freezing, which is a pain in the arse, and i have thought to myself 'whats the point? its working fine there's no need to pull whats left off my hair out' on the other hand i do want to learn and familurise myself with said box, and yes iv read alot of th tuts,anyway thanks for taking the time to read this, cheers deano

i appreciate a lot of stuff has already been mentioned with the likes of crossover cables and what software to use but I honestly think the easiest setup for you is connecting your dreambox direct to your router ( i take it it has additional ports on the back?).
So you have one cable going from dreambox to the router and one going from router to the modem. you dont need a crossover with this setup.
Install Dreambox Control Centre, once fired up change the Language to English then choose connection type router (top left). You will need to enter the IP address of the Dreambox, let us know if you need help finding this out. Once you got all the right info in you shouldn't need to enter it in again. If all the info is correct you will see the connection between your pc, dreambox and router go green.
Down the left you can see several options, choose FTP then you should see the folders/files on the dreambox on the left hand side of screen and your computer files on the right.
I think that's enough info for now as don't wanna overload you.

Just shout for further help

i appreciate a lot of stuff has already been mentioned with the likes of crossover cables and what software to use but I honestly think the easiest setup for you is connecting your dreambox direct to your router ( i take it it has additional ports on the back?).
So you have one cable going from dreambox to the router and one going from router to the modem. you dont need a crossover with this setup.
Install Dreambox Control Centre, once fired up change the Language to English then choose connection type router (top left). You will need to enter the IP address of the Dreambox, let us know if you need help finding this out. Once you got all the right info in you shouldn't need to enter it in again. If all the info is correct you will see the connection between your pc, dreambox and router go green.
Down the left you can see several options, choose FTP then you should see the folders/files on the dreambox on the left hand side of screen and your computer files on the right.
I think that's enough info for now as don't wanna overload you.

Just shout for further help

hi dazmeister, the set up you've wrote about is the way i have it set up,only difference being is iv got cross over cable going from box to router, earthnet from router to pc and cable to modem, but when i open up dreambox control centre i get " Error 10057 in function send socket is not connected " then underneath where it says protocol it comes up " telnet connected, then a few seconds later telnet disconnected and also ftp disconnected " can anyone shed some light on what the fook the problem is? and also what kind of security measures i need to take now that im useing a router ( belkin wireless G plus MIMO router ) thanks peeps P.S. Does the box need to be switched on or off when trying to connect to it??

Last edited:
As mentioned, you wont need a crossover with this setup mate (only use it if going direct to dreambox from your pc). What you need is just a normal ethernet cable. Once you got that in place (as mentioned before), leave the dreambox switched on then fire up dreambox control centre and it should then connect, assuming u got the right IP address. Once you get this far come back and ask if you need more help, otherwise you should be able to select FTP (left hand column) and see the files/folder on dreambox (left) and your pc files (right).

Moneys not wasted as you will be able to use the crossover in some situations but for now, with your router setup, it's not required.
I just use dreambox control centre as I find it fits all my needs (ftp, load images, backups etc) and easy to use/configure.

Sounds like you also need wireless security turning on too. Just takes a bit of time getting familiar with some of the setup screens.
To get access to the router configuration for security etc, open up a browser screen (e.g. internet explorer, firefox) and type the following into the address bar:

If that don't bring anything up, try: 192.168.0.1

It should ask you for a logon and password, hopefully your mate has reset it back to defaults?
Default logon details usually are:

Username: admin
Password: password

One of the tabs will be for wireless security, not familiar with Belkin but shouldnt be too difficult to work out. Choose WPA-PSK and set your own password (but write it down somewhere safe too!). remember though, once you set the password on the router, you will have to do this on all the computers in your house too, otherwise you wont get accesss.
Again, if u get stuck, just PM me if you want more info. Happy to help.

hi peeps,could any one help please,iv got every thing set up as i have been instructed to, but every time i open up dcc i keep getting erroe message which says " error 10057 in function send socket is not connected " even if im not trying to connect to box,each time i open dcc it comes up, anybody shed some light as to what the problem is. cheers

Back