Anybody Care To Try Their pashionts with compleate novice!!

deano831

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi and thanks to everyone takin th time to read this, I am a totall novice with my box and pc. I have a dreambox 500 clone with DW 2.1. image. I know am prob the 100th person to be askin this, Its just i went out yesterday and got myself a router, Ive got a modem which i got from v*rg*n,got an earthnet cable from modem to my pc,and i got what i think is another earthnet cable which i got with the router. I do not have a clue were to start, What cables go where and i am not computer literite. And yes i have been reading all threads,started last night for 5 hours, And have been at it an reading since 9.00am this morning, Dont understand al the jargon, Ive downloaded filezilla, Downloadstudio and WinPcap. Am practically begging for someone to run me through it step by step, No joke, Yes i know pretty pathetic. And yes i know im a compleate pain in the a*se. Its just i dont know anybody i could give 20 bucks or so to fix my box, Dont have a clue about flashing an all the rest that needs to be done. Im just getting to the stage where the house,pc and box are ready to grt smashed up, I would say im pulling my hair out but iv none lol. So anyone care to take the challenge up of helping me out? It would be greatfully appreciated, Cheers anyone

think you may struggle on this to be honest... if u you cant do the basics you may find yourself stuck.. ive been learning for over a year now and still havnt got round to doin my own box ( only coz i bought the wrong serial card) but if i was you. i download all the help files and study them. the infomation is out there even for a noob. but you have to study it. once you have studied it and have some sorta idea on what to do. then come back and ask the question and you may find you will get some help. most people on here are really decent people but they dont like it if your not prepared to try and help yourself.

if i could help you i would but to be honest im still learning.

go get the help files and a beer and have yaself a study night lol

think you may struggle on this to be honest... if u you cant do the basics you may find yourself stuck.. ive been learning for over a year now and still havnt got round to doin my own box ( only coz i bought the wrong serial card) but if i was you. i download all the help files and study them. the infomation is out there even for a noob. but you have to study it. once you have studied it and have some sorta idea on what to do. then come back and ask the question and you may find you will get some help. most people on here are really decent people but they dont like it if your not prepared to try and help yourself.

if i could help you i would but to be honest im still learning.

go get the help files and a beer and have yaself a study night lol

cheers mate, But honesly i have been reading up an trying myself, Thanks anyway

1st thing to do is get router setup and get your pc to be able to see dreambox.

You didnt say if your router was wireless ? but its probable not that important just means there will be more things to setup (security etc.)

at the moment you have ethernet cable from cable modem to PC, unplug at PC end and insert in router (there is probably a port on its own and maybe 4 or so grouped together, plug it in the port on its own)

now the spare ethernet cable should go from one of the router spare ports to your pc. Then power cycle modem and the router. You will also need a third ethernet cable to go from another of the router ports to the dreambox

You should then have a cd which came with router to run the rest of the network setup, try running through choosing to have router as having DCHP switched on (DHCP will assign each of devices plugged into your router with a unique IP address)

Once you have done this hopefully you will be able to connect to internet. see if you can get this far 1st

The more I try to explain this the deeper it can get !!!! so I may miss or take for granted you understand so this may take some time !!

*** NOTE If once you do the above you find you cannot see the internet you can always plug the cable from cable modem to router back into your PC directly (as you had it before) you may need to power cycle the modem and the pc and come back on here and give us an update !

hope this helps

Hi M8 looked at your post, its a bit stressful i'snt it!
one question to you:- is your box recieving any channels at all??
2nd question:- do you have the dreamup software?
let me know and i'll try to help you out
you can PM me if you want

ps, PM means private message:)

Bugger, you guys are quick! :) I was going to say:

Firstly, If you don’t have a null serial cable I’d start with DCC software (Dreambox Control Centre) I just googled it and found a download link in the first link!

Next you’ll need to set your router up with your PC and I presume you have the instructions with the router to do this. Once you have this up and running, you’ll need to use a regular Ethernet/LAN cable to plug into the 500C whilst it is still all connected to the TV and the other end into the router.

Do you think you can get this far? If so I’ll try and walk you through the rest of it later.

Hi M8 looked at your post, its a bit stressful i'snt it!
one question to you:- is your box recieving any channels at all??
2nd question:- do you have the dreamup software?
let me know and i'll try to help you out
you can PM me if you want

ps, PM means private message:)

Hi kevlinks72,yes am receiving channels, Manually put in k*y last night an its still goin,not gt dreamup software, aint got a clue where to find it

Bugger, you guys are quick! :) I was going to say:

Firstly, If you don’t have a null serial cable I’d start with DCC software (Dreambox Control Centre) I just googled it and found a download link in the first link!

Next you’ll need to set your router up with your PC and I presume you have the instructions with the router to do this. Once you have this up and running, you’ll need to use a regular Ethernet/LAN cable to plug into the 500C whilst it is still all connected to the TV and the other end into the router.

Do you think you can get this far? If so I’ll try and walk you through the rest of it later.

i got the router from a friend,looks like a wee cheap one,it is wireless, But i dont hve the instructions or the cd to go with it

I’m pretty sure you’ll need a null modem serial cable to load an .img file with DreamUp.

Do you have one? It has a female connector on each end.

I’m pretty sure you’ll need a null modem serial cable to load an .img file with DreamUp.

Do you have one? It has a female connector on each end.[/QUOTE

as i say totall novice so not to sure what a null modem serial cable is,i got the wireless router from a friend,its a belkin MIMO router,he gave me the power cable for it and another cable which looks just like the one iv got from from my modem to pc,so if thats ayes i only have 2 cables
im guessing im going to need another cable? if so ill prob be able to get that sorted tomorrow

Last edited:
hi could anyone give me a link to a new image please/null modem

Gaffert,
There are a number of ways of updating your dreambox with a new image, but 2 ways of connecting to it to do these updates...

1. Via the network port (via PC using a various software available + ftp'ing new images )
2. Via the com port using a null modem serial cable you can get this from a maplins store or similar (this is direct PC to Dreambox but this is slow and limited to certain types of image files)

I would recomend the network way, it allows far more flexibility. I only use the com port to rescue a un bootable box.

But maybe other disagree, I would suggest plugging in the router as I said and seeing if your pc can see the internet (confims networking setup) then we can go from there.

gashead

Hi m8, the guys above are correct in telling you that its better to link the dm500 up with a router using a crossover cable but if you've no experience then it can be a headache,
if you get stuck and want a quick fix the null cable and using dreamup is very simple,
you'll find the dreamup sortware one page back, go to top of page in the thread for cabl files here and scroll down to the same wording and press again, there you'll find it along with the dw 2.1 image which has the nagrarom7.bin added in it, the dreamup.exe is there to,
you'll have to get a null cable, it goes in the slot at the back of dm500 with pins 8 or so,
the other slot is for your crossover cable, this looks like a phone connector, you'll only need a null cable to do a flash using dreamup, takes about 10-12 mins, when you have the file you'll need to unpack it, with a program like winrar, if you hav'nt got that then go to download,com to get it, once you've placed the unpacked file stick it in your documents or just create a file ( i have a file just called digitalworldz) its easy to have all your digitalworldz stuff in one place, unplug your dm from tv so now you've got a dm500 with no power then stick the null cable in the computer/laptop then put the other of the null cable in the dm500
go to where the dreamup software is on your comp/laptop and open,PRESS CONNECT AND YOU'LL BE PROMPTED TO PUT THE POWER LEAD BACK IN THE DM500, now put the power lead back in you DM, IT WILL NOW FIND YOUR BOX, then press BACKUP and this will copy the info from your box once complete stick that backup file in your digitalworldz file, then you'll want to flash your new image, press FLASH, AND NOW A BOX WILL APPEAR WITH YOUR STUFF ON THERE, FIND THE NEW IMAGE AND PRESS OK,
next a small box will appear with PERFORM FLASH ERASE, CLICK NO, IF THIS PROMT IS IN GERMAN PRESS NA, :) THEN ONCE THE DREAMUP HAS FINISHED CLICK DISCONNECT AND EXIT DREAMUP, THEN PULL THE POWER LEAD OUT OF DM500 FOR 2 MINS, RECONNECT TO TV AND DO A TRANSCAN, IF YOU CANT FIND THE TRANSPONDER SCAN FEATURE THEN YOU'LL HAVE TO CHANGE THE DRIVER IN THE PLUGINS MENU, CHANGE IT FROM OLD DRIVER TO NEW DRIVER, ONCE YOU'VE SORTED THAT GO BACK AND SERVICE SERCHING SHOULD BE BACK THERE, DO SCAN ON FTA CHANNEL, THAT SHOULD BE IT.

Last edited:
Hi m8, the guys above are correct in telling you that its better to link the dm500 up with a router using a crossover cable but if you've no experience then it can be a headache,
if you get stuck and want a quick fix the null cable and using dreamup is very simple,
you'll find the dreamup sortware one page back, go to top of page in the thread for cabl files here and scroll down to the same wording and press again, there you'll find it along with the dw 2.1 image which has the nagrarom7.bin added in it, the dreamup.exe is there to,
you'll have to get a null cable, it goes in the slot at the back of dm500 with pins 8 or so,
the other slot is for your crossover cable, this looks like a phone connector, you'll only need a null cable to do a flash using dreamup, takes about 10-12 mins, when you have the file you'll need to unpack it, with a program like winrar, if you hav'nt got that then go to download,com to get it, once you've placed the unpacked file stick it in your documents or just create a file ( i have a file just called digitalworldz) its easy to have all your digitalworldz stuff in one place, unplug your dm from tv so now you've got a dm500 with no power then stick the null cable in the computer/laptop then put the other of the null cable in the dm500
go to where the dreamup software is on your comp/laptop and open,PRESS CONNECT AND YOU'LL BE PROMPTED TO PUT THE POWER LEAD BACK IN THE DM500, now put the power lead back in you DM, IT WILL NOW FIND YOUR BOX, then press BACKUP and this will copy the info from your box once complete stick that backup file in your digitalworldz file, then you'll want to flash your new image, press FLASH, AND NOW A BOX WILL APPEAR WITH YOUR STUFF ON THERE, FIND THE NEW IMAGE AND PRESS OK,
next a small box will appear with PERFORM FLASH ERASE, CLICK NO, IF THIS PROMT IS IN GERMAN PRESS NA, :) THEN ONCE THE DREAMUP HAS FINISHED CLICK DISCONNECT AND EXIT DREAMUP, THEN PULL THE POWER LEAD OUT OF DM500 FOR 2 MINS, RECONNECT TO TV AND DO A TRANSCAN, IF YOU CANT FIND THE TRANSPONDER SCAN FEATURE THEN YOU'LL HAVE TO CHANGE THE DRIVER IN THE PLUGINS MENU, CHANGE IT FROM OLD DRIVER TO NEW DRIVER, ONCE YOU'VE SORTED THAT GO BACK AND SERVICE SERCHING SHOULD BE BACK THERE, DO SCAN ON FTA CHANNEL, THAT SHOULD BE IT.

cheers kevlinks72, i got the software earlier on, with this software will this put a stop to me having to put the k*ys in every day like we all have for the lst few days? Also the null cable is that where on either side of where it goes in theres 2 screws to keep it in? Ill just have to leave it for now until i get the crossover cable and the null cable,iv been trying with the wireless router but the box isnt showing up on my comp thanks for the help mate,greatly appreciated :Cheers:

deno you are over egging the cake m8
You dont need to reflash a new image. All you need to do is put the new rom7 into the appropriate place. You will need to know the ip address you have set to your dreambox. You can use flash fxp to put the rom 7 file into your existing image or you can use ftp command directly.

Concentrate on the threads about the rom 7 and how to ftp it across. You have a working image so you dont need to change that

Check this thread out m8 it should get you sorted.
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/193178/

Last edited by a moderator:
deno you are over egging the cake m8
You dont need to reflash a new image. All you need to do is put the new rom7 into the appropriate place. You will need to know the ip address you have set to your dreambox. You can use flash fxp to put the rom 7 file into your existing image or you can use ftp command directly.

Concentrate on the threads about the rom 7 and how to ftp it across. You have a working image so you dont need to change that

Check this thread out m8 it should get you sorted.
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/193178/

hi there ianb,iv dowloaded filezilla,iv just downloaded the dreambox control center,i was already reading that link you put up mate,i know my boxes ip address,i just tryd to connecting to my box with filzilla it jst keeps sayin "time out " then"connection established waiting for welcome notice" an then it times out again, where the fook am i going wrong mate??

Last edited by a moderator:
hi there ianb,iv dowloaded filezilla,iv just downloaded the dreambox control center,i was already reading that link you put up mate,i know my boxes ip address,i just tryd to connecting to my box with filzilla it jst keeps sayin "time out " then"connection established waiting for welcome notice" an then it times out again, where the fook am i going wrong mate??

Are you using a crossover cable (rj45)

Are you using a crossover cable (rj45)

no im not,i got a wireless router from a friend yesterday, all he gave me with it was the power supply and what looks like an earthnet cable, no cd an no usb,so all iv got is a modem an earthnet from that to my pc. as i say, compleate novice with pc and box,total fookin noobie lol,thanks for reading and replying
Another thing iv had winrar on the computer since i got it an im not entirley sure how to use it, lol
when i open winrar up and try open the latest thing iv downloaded,i get adiagnostic message saying " theprocess cannot accss the file because it is being use by another process" Me thinks am a lost fookin cause!!!

Last edited:
Back