Any ideas what is up with my Spiderbox 9000 ?

BlizzardUK

Inactive User
Reaction score
For the last month my Spiderbox has been doing odd things. Often when I am watching it the screen will change to a screen of just hundreds of vertical lines, mostly green, some red. I have to turn it off at the wall and then back on again to get it to work. Also the time on it keeps gradually getting slower, I have no idea how that happens, I set it correct, then check in a few days and it is 15 minutes slow, sometimes it can be days out. I am unsure what to do to fix it, for the last 2 years it worked great, it has just been the last month these problems have happened. Is it just at the end of its life already ?

Thanks for any advice.

For the last month my Spiderbox has been doing odd things. Often when I am watching it the screen will change to a screen of just hundreds of vertical lines, mostly green, some red. I have to turn it off at the wall and then back on again to get it to work. Also the time on it keeps gradually getting slower, I have no idea how that happens, I set it correct, then check in a few days and it is 15 minutes slow, sometimes it can be days out. I am unsure what to do to fix it, for the last 2 years it worked great, it has just been the last month these problems have happened. Is it just at the end of its life already ?

Thanks for any advice.

First check all connectors are fully pushed in

Reflash the latest patch but make sure you do two factory resets, do it this way :
Back up your channels list
Factory reset
Install patch
Factory reset
Reinstall the channels list
Set motor coordinates (if using USALS)
Press menu locate Network press 1111
Flash softcam (if using)

Could be a faulty tuner? It's the tuner that gets the time and date from the transponder so if its playing up it could explain the loss in time? Are the tuners replaceable in this box?

Sent from my telephone.

Are the tuners replaceable in this box?

wouldnt have thought so without a major transplant as with 90% of stb,s they are soldered to the board although @jimi.h will probably confirm it for you,regards mdt

Pretty sure the tuner is soldered in place but my first step would be to fit a "spike protected" mains block 2 for ~£6 from Morrisons we get a lot of mains spikes this time of year.
If that does not cure the problem then follow post #2 above.
My Spiderbox 9000 combo is about three years old and still going like new.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the advice, I will try it all.

Is there a simple guide on how to update ? I don't think I have done that yet, I only use it offline so have not ever really needed to do any updates. What is the best way to update ?

Thanks everyone for the advice, I will try it all.

Is there a simple guide on how to update ? I don't think I have done that yet, I only use it offline so have not ever really needed to do any updates. What is the best way to update ?

Post #2 will get you through the process. BUT first backup your channels list this way: insert a USB memory stick,press menu-use right arrow key to find USB, press OK on USB, press green (save channel data (UDB) wait five seconds for the save press exit exit.
Failure to do this means you will have erased your channels and will have to rescan so make this your first step.

Thanks. I have just updated and will see if it helps, I tried the plug idea first but sadly that didn't help. So now I have updated to the March 2012 software and will see what happens. I never knew there were all those options under the network tab, I think I have been missing a lot just using my STB offline :)

Thanks. I have just updated and will see if it helps, I tried the plug idea first but sadly that didn't help. So now I have updated to the March 2012 software and will see what happens. I never knew there were all those options under the network tab, I think I have been missing a lot just using my STB offline :)

Thats a real understatement mate, the Spiderbox is like an iceberg 90% is below the waterline!!

Back