any child maintenance experts here

jase

Inactive User
Reaction score
Just been hassled for maintenance from the child maintenance service (previously csa)

so from what i understand - they take money and pay it to the ex.
i`m really fine with that

but i have now been informed, unless myself and the ex can agree a payment plan between us. The CMS will charge her 5% of the money collected
but charge me a 20% collection fee on top.

the calculator is based on gross money (not after tax,rent ect) so i earn £300 the ex gets £48.
i also then pay about £55 tax/ni etc and £110 rent for a one bedroom flat

so for a 48 hour week i am left with £95 for food, run car , electric... etc.
then cms want collection fee of nearly £10 a week as my ex refuses to do the 'private agreement thing'
she actually laughed and said it will cost me !!

any ideas as i have an enforced contact order but still havent seen the kids for a few months. paid over £3k and the courts found in my favour.
i get joint residency... and actually have nothing ?? as the ex ignores everything

jase

family courts are hard mate but stick at it and ask your lawyer to get this looked at if you have a court order that she is failing to stick to then she is breaking the law not you
the down side to this is it will cost you more in the lawyers fee's . I had to leave me job and go unemployed for 6 years due to family courts
but was worth it in the end as I have full custody of my daughter and that was 12 years ago . the lawyers bills would have been around 30k
for the long drawn out process

as for the csa not sure there is much you can do unless you start paying her direct and not them
I got around this be telling them my x was violent and wanted nothing to do with her

Just been hassled for maintenance from the child maintenance service (previously csa)

so from what i understand - they take money and pay it to the ex.
i`m really fine with that

but i have now been informed, unless myself and the ex can agree a payment plan between us. The CMS will charge her 5% of the money collected
but charge me a 20% collection fee on top.

the calculator is based on gross money (not after tax,rent ect) so i earn £300 the ex gets £48.
i also then pay about £55 tax/ni etc and £110 rent for a one bedroom flat

so for a 48 hour week i am left with £95 for food, run car , electric... etc.
then cms want collection fee of nearly £10 a week as my ex refuses to do the 'private agreement thing'
she actually laughed and said it will cost me !!

any ideas as i have an enforced contact order but still havent seen the kids for a few months. paid over £3k and the courts found in my favour.
i get joint residency... and actually have nothing ?? as the ex ignores everything

jase

I don't know too much about this stuff so my post is based on opinion and some logic:

Firstly it must go in your favour that you're willing to sort out a plan but she's not. You're not the one wanting CMS to get involved.

I would actually send her (recorded delivery) a cheque every month based on the calculated figure. Then if/when you're approached by CMS you can prove that you're supporting the kids.

Also do a quick search on the net mate, there's bound to be a forum out there covering this sort of thing

Good luck mate and try your best not to let the kids get sucked into this mess. More than anything else, they need your love and to be able to see you on a regular basis

ok cheers for the replies

just spoke to CMS and as long as i can prove i`m putting away the funds each week and they are available then its down to ex to accept some kind of plan.

and as there is no chance of legal aid for the father, i am struggling to fund a solicitor.
but i found this site last night and looks like there may be a way
Families Need Fathers

seems i have a bit of reading to do this weekend

thanks again people.

had final hearing today and used a good barrister.
he was as good as his word and got me everything i wanted and more, the ex was also warned by courts so hopefully its all done.
(but i suspect i may be back there in the near future)

and the winner in this situation - the children, as they get to see both parents regularly again
:)

regards
jase

and the winner in this situation - the children, as they get to see both parents regularly again
:)

regards
jase

Best part of the post mate, good on you. There are too many absent fathers out there giving the real fathers a bad name

Well done :Cheers:

Was in similar scenario !!!! I found that when I could prove I was having the children for an average of 3 nights per week (which I wanted to) that these costs pretty much vanished!
The figures/system seem to assume you are a father who doesn't want to see his children or give a damn !

This was a few years back that I started the arrangement but it still stand current today !

Back