Android 4.0.4 with Motorola Razr Phones

pinkhelmets

Inactive User
Reaction score
I am gutted. This is a warning for phone users thinking of accepting official Android 'firmware upgrades'.

My Motorola Razr Droid XT910 4.3" smartphone has been a superb phone for almost a year. Signal gains & battery life certainly beat Samsung HTC & iPhone alternatives. My phone was without doubt the best for me and suited perfect!

Unfortunately, I upgraded last weekend to Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream melted slop no good to man nor beast Sandwich... What a huge mistake!!!

Since accepting the official download and upgrading over WiFi my perfect phone has been destroyed and basically become unusable. Nobody takes responsibility or wants to solve and I'm left wondering how can this be allowed?

-------------
First problem. My battery would easily last a full day and night, 24 hours minimum with general moderate use. It was even possible to go 2 days without charge. Now on ICS 4.0.4 it will drain to switch off within just a few hours, maybe 5 hours max if phone not used whatsoever.

Second problem. No PC or laptop can recognise the device, with Windows messages leading to "Replace the device".

Third problem. Random regular software crash & lock-ups. Never once in 10 months did it crash previously!

Fourth problem. The 3 issues above are experienced by many others but none have found a solution.
-------------

Now I'm not an idiot with phones. I have sought expert help too from various places online, and this leads to discovering numerous people with the same issues since upgrading to Android ICS on a Motorola Razr. The final conclusion being, there is no current solution, await official Jelly Bean to be available by Motorola upgrade, with hope it will solve?! Apparently thousands of us are left with dumb-phones, which havent worked correctly for many months for some. FFS!!!

My contract is with T-Mobile. They dont give a shit. No insurance, the phone comes on and sort of functions for a while so thats good enough.

Any advice or comments from you guys please?
I dont need obvious options, as already done a million times; remove battery, reset to factory, format card, clear cache, try different PC, try different operating system, try different usb cable, different drivers, different developer options & connection options in Android menu, etc etc, all the obvious....including adding third party apps to see what drains power -it is the Android Kernel at its base level. The 3 problems above remain even with a factory-set phone and no personal stuff or apps added.

Thanks for reading & for any comments.

Last edited:
Is it rooted or not?

If it was me personally I'd software such as Ghostbuster from here to remove any dormant drivers on your system including ADB/USB drivers...

Once this is done, reboot system and re attach phone to PC..Hopefully now PC will recognise the phone again and prompt for a new driver install...

I've had this issue before with my HTC Desire and no matter what I did I could not connect to the phone via the pc whether it was usb or adb connection...In the end using Ghostbuster to remover the old device drivers was the only option that worked...

Thanks Pootas, I havent tried that so I will give it a go. I dont hold much hope since I have tried 4 different computers, each with different OS, so I dont think it is a Windows/Motorola drivers error. I just have to try anything suggested in hope...

My phone was not Rooted. If I can gain connection between Phone & PC I will certainly be Rooting it. I have Jelly Bean 4.1.1 ready and waiting... desperately!

Nope, still no working connection.
Good software though, I did clean up many Ghosts :)

It isn't directly a driver issue, it is that the Android firmware isn't able to work from the existing drivers, so Windows can do no more than state the device has malfunctioned, replace device.... It is certainly an Android Kernel issue.

I'm now looking along lines of legal obligations, since it is less than a year old and doesn't function. Thing is that if I take the phone to T-Mobile to be sent for 'repair' I am left without a phone. Plus they always find a way to blame the user and charge unfairly. AND to make things even worse, the phone takes a Micro Sim so I cant easily borrow something temporary. Absolute nightmare!

is there a official gingerbread 2.3 stock rom available for your phone ? i.e: can you downgrade back to gingerbread ?

AND to make things even worse, the phone takes a Micro Sim so I cant easily borrow something temporary. Absolute nightmare!
Can't really offer much advice on your real problem mate but you can buy a 'MICRO Mini SIM CARD ADAPTER CONVERTER' for a quid on eBay to use your micro sim in an 'old' phone.
HH.

To downgrade I need to Root. I'm unable to Root since PC's will no longer communicate with the Phone. Someone said try a Mac, but I dont have one so need to find someone local with one, who knows what they are doing too. Not easy :)

Thanks for the advice HH, I will get an adapter as I have an old iPhone I could use.

Back