Am I being unreasonable ? GRRRRR !

Whilst the guy is being a twat.....I have always believed in "If we can sort it out amicably" where neighbours are concerned then your life is just sooo much easier. Maybe he is on a downer....maybe home troubles who knows....If I were in your shoes I would invite him for a beer to clear the air. Talk to the bloke ect.
Don't take this post wrong as I believe that you are completely right in the fact that he is being unreasonable. If all is fails then either lump him....or report his unreasonable attitude to the council if he ever crosses the line. But the easiest option is just "make the peace" and try to find out what his problem is.

Have to agree with the above. While your neighbour is being a twat... The best thing would be to just see what the guys problem is and try and sort it out. As you've said you feel like moving so instead of doing that try and sort things out with him.

If that fails, then twat him and tell him again you won't be so kind the next time he comes knocking around for something so trivial.

Have to agree with the above. While your neighbour is being a twat... The best thing would be to just see what the guys problem is and try and sort it out. As you've said you feel like moving so instead of doing that try and sort things out with him.

If that fails, then twat him and tell him again you won't be so kind the next time he comes knocking around for something so trivial.

I think the blokes problem is, that I was not able to look for work for a few years due to back injury sustained in a car accident... did have a couple of jobs but had to leave them due to pain.
He is one of these, "everyone is a sponger on benefits".... even now, working my arse off at university, getting in shed loads of debt and dont see my family much when I am on hospital placement... yet he still makes digs that I am a glorified shit and piss clearer...! bloke is just a twat.

I did ask what his problem was tonight and his only answer was about the time... yes 1840ish FFS !

some of the comments lads have made me chuckle :)

I think the blokes problem is, that I was not able to look for work for a few years due to back injury sustained in a car accident... did have a couple of jobs but had to leave them due to pain.
He is one of these, "everyone is a sponger on benefits".... even now, working my arse off at university, getting in shed loads of debt and dont see my family much when I am on hospital placement... yet he still makes digs that I am a glorified shit and piss clearer...! bloke is just a twat.

I did ask what his problem was tonight and his only answer was about the time... yes 1840ish FFS !

some of the comments lads have made me chuckle :)

Think about it RS, does it really matter to you that much what a twat thinks of you ???

Forget what he thinks, you have came through a lot and are out the other side trying to make something of yourself...fek what he thinks.

Ignore him or thump him, although that may cause you more grief so you have to ask yourself would it be worth it before thumping him, just laugh and tell him to get a life, let him thump you on the cctv....problem solved.

Think about it RS, does it really matter to you that much what a twat thinks of you ???

Forget what he thinks, you have came through a lot and are out the other side trying to make something of yourself...fek what he thinks.

Ignore him or thump him, although that may cause you more grief so you have to ask yourself would it be worth it before thumping him, just laugh and tell him to get a life, let him thump you on the cctv....problem solved.

Wish I could thump him with no comebacks :( Get CRB checks done often with uni, anything violence or dishonest and I am kicked out.... Might just have to bait him with cctv though :p

i no it sounds soft m8. but wot goes around comes around....
earlier in the thread i was going to say. just fooking hit him.
as said b4 try and have a can with him find out the score with him.if its sorted then all's good.....

if not knock the fooker clean out :banana: the guy's beeing a bully.. that time of day ...i wouldnt give two hoots if nxt door drilled a million holes....knobs prob had a row with is other half and felt hard...and u got the verbal???
front it nxt day out of the way of camera's and he will be like a kitten al bet ya

Id rather have you sds the wall on full hammer for 10 seconds per hole than fukin mince about for christ knows how long on rotate. Chances are this fella only got wound up when you was drilling the same hole for fk knows how long !!
Set the drill to hammer and have over n done with ffs.
How would you feel if some knob drilled your wall nice and slowly for fkin ages ?

Drill a hole in his fookin head m8. He is a twat. P.S. not all Scottish blokes are like that lol

Hope there is going to be an infraction warning given to IANB for that. Far worse than I got one for.

Well I'm going to play devils advocate now.

You said he's got a 2yr old. Kids of that age are all over the place with sleeping times,maybe they had a rough night before and just wanted to let him have a sleep.

I'd tend to side with gasman on this. Long slow drilling is far far worse than just getting it done. Its no use bitching about the time and you did this and that,you don't know what has happened prior to it.
If I'd had a rough night with a 2yrd old and then you started drilling then I wouldn't be happy about it either.

Last edited:
Hope there is going to be an infraction warning given to IANB for that. Far worse than I got one for.

Well I'm going to play devils advocate now.

You said he's got a 2yr old. Kids of that age are all over the place with sleeping times,maybe they had a rough night before and just wanted to let him have a sleep.

I'd tend to side with gasman on this. Long slow drilling is far far worse than just getting it done. Its no use bitching about the time and you did this and that,you don't know what has happened prior to it.
If I'd had a rough night with a 2yrd old and then you started drilling then I wouldn't be happy about it either.

we all have bad days, shit happens, dont take it out on your neighbour is my answer to that, you have kids and this shit happens.

what i will say is there is two sides to it, its give and take, but just because youve had an argument, bad day, accident, lack of sleep dont give full reign to take it out on anyone else.

Having read through most of this thread, had some chuckles at some of the replies.
Here is my take on this:

No you werent being unreasonable, in as much of the time of night etc and it was only 4 holes.
I think the general opinion is that its better to have a short blast of hammer action and get it over with, rather than use it on normal and take longer (causing noise for a longer period of time).

Yes in hindsight it may have been a good idea just to warn him (knowing he might kick off)

He obviously has a beef with you and no matter what you do, he is gonna kick off if he thinks it annoys him.

Yes he is a twat!!!!

As already said, who cares what he thinks about you if he is a twat!!!!!

The problem with neighbours faling out is little things can esculate into (tit for tat) retaliation and you end up in the situation wher its gone too far and one of you either ends up moving or up in court.

Some people will never get on, call it clash of personalities etc.

As already said with neighbours its give and take!

Many years ago we lived in a mid terrace (before we had kids etc) and one side worked nights, but had very noisy kids.
Bearing in mind that we didnt have the pleasure of kids ( i now have this pleasure and can see things in a diffrent light).

So i decided to have a word about being woken up at 6am every single Sunday morning by kids screaming and running up and down the stairs.

I pointed out the fact that he worked nights and i never did any DIY until i knew he was awake etc.

Dont know what he said to the kids, but things did not kick off till at least 9am on a sunday , which i could live with and they even went to the trouble of putting down some thick acoustic underlay on their stairs to lessen the noise.

He even helped me put up a six foot fence between us , so we could sit out in the back garden without his kids shouting at us every 2 minutes.

Really great bloke and all resolved by talking to each other civily .

Not that im saying this works with everyone !

We got on fine with the other side until she had a kid and decided to start slinging cat shit over the fence ( we had one cat !).
Despite the fact that there were 19 other cats on the small estate, all the cat shit was ours apparently.

Went round there had a blazing row with her in her own house in front of her old man ( who sat there and did nothing), poor bloke for living with her.

From that moment on it was tit for tat retaliation of playing loud music , reving cars , blocking our car in.

All of this was by her as i actually got on alright with her husband.

In the end we moved house , not just because of her (but it was a contributing factor).

We now live in 3 bed semi and get on great with both neighbours.

I know my kids annoy one side by kicking the ball over their fence , so i told him to hang on to the balls for a week and then give them back.

Their aim is getting better,lol

A few years back we nearly fell out as their triffid of a clemetis was growing under my shed felt and into the shed (about £1000 worth 16ft workshop).

So rather than talk to them i decided to knock it back a bit with a weakened roundup spray solution, until a freak gust of wind caused it to drift and killed off about £150 of shrubs and plants.

I admitted the deed and offered to pay for and replace all the plants and shrubs that died.

His exact words were " Why didnt you talk to us about the problem !"

Been fine with me since and lived here for the past 15 years.

so there is a lesson in all of my tale.

Be reasonable.

Talk to each other.

Have a little give and take.

Dont let things get out of hand.

At the end of the day, you still have to live there and bad neighbours can make your life a living hell !

I must be a miserable old git as I would complain about drilling after 5pm.

Is there a reason why you couldn't wait until the next day ?.

He most prob thinks you have had all day so why wait until the evening.

I must admit it's the 1st thing I thought when I read it was why not during the day or wait until the next morning.

I wouldn't dream of drilling after 5pm unless it was an emergency but then following from the replys on here there are a lot of people with no consideration for others who only think of themselves :(

the guy has no consideration for others when his kids are shouting there heads of till 11 pm,why should he have consideration for wanting to drill at a reasonable time i think,,i mean ffs how long does it take to drill four holes

even in good humour, you must be a miserable git, i live my life, not my neighbours, i wont walk around on pin cushsions for anyone, but i do have respect for my neighbours.

the guy has no consideration for others when his kids are shouting there heads of till 11 pm,why should he have consideration for wanting to drill at a reasonable time i think,,i mean ffs how long does it take to drill four holes

Kids will be kids, my neighbour has two children who drive me mad but I keep quiet because children will be children.

Drilling is something that can be done during the day unless it is an emergency, children make noise it's an unavoidable part of life so for me the 2 are not related.

Both my children are grown up but they would not have been up at 11pm until they were 16+ I wouldn't have allowed that but that is diverting from the thread.

From what the op said it was going to take a long time to drill the holes using low rpm and no hammer so I'm tempted to think the op was trying to windup his neighbour up for the reaction.

The comment
Might just have to bait him with cctv though :p
makes me think we are not being told the whole story here but I could be wrong.

I have to agree with ellie I thought the exact same thing when I read it
Im not saying the guy aint an arse best part of the time,but drilling after latest 6pm and on a sunday too,think I would of waited tbh

I must be a miserable old git as I would complain about drilling after 5pm.

Is there a reason why you couldn't wait until the next day ?.

He most prob thinks you have had all day so why wait until the evening.

I must admit it's the 1st thing I thought when I read it was why not during the day or wait until the next morning.

I wouldn't dream of drilling after 5pm unless it was an emergency but then following from the replys on here there are a lot of people with no consideration for others who only think of themselves :(

I have to agree with ellie I thought the exact same thing when I read it
Im not saying the guy aint an arse best part of the time,but drilling after latest 6pm and on a sunday too,think I would of waited tbh

spot on John LIKE I also added

Go round apologise for your lack of thought and bury the hatchet

i`m sorry i have to disagree, lets just say you work 6 days a week, what are you meant to do? for all we know he could of been busy, but to me its all besides the point, its my house i`ll drill a hole whenever i like, if its gonna take ages, or its getting on a quick knock to the neighbours to let them know i would, but if i have to put up with his kids screaming around at 11pm at night, then feck him, no disrespect, but i bet he doesnt go round telling his kids to be quiet at certain times of the day, yes kids will be kids, but so what, you had them, deal with them. Its my house, i`ll drill 4 holes if i want to regardles of time of day or day (within reason).

just my opinion.

if next door is always rowdy, then id tell him to fk off cos i wont be long

the bell end who lives next to my missus comes home from work at 11pm, then decides to start DIY on either his attic conversion, the metal sheet fencing out the back or the lean to extension hes throwing together

we didnt bother saying anything about it as they have kids themselfs, and it never woke the daughter

then one day he came knocking the door at about 10am asking if the telly in the daughters bedroom could be turned down as he could hear it in the bedroom (she had music on)

since then hes only ever carried out DIY on a sunday afternoon, pr!ck

next door to me is worse, they come home pi$$ed at 1 am then throw the music on, till 6-7am. ive knocked the door, the windows, and kicked the door till its nearly come off to get an answer. one night i removed the main incoming 100A fuse from his electric meter and threw it over the house, mmmmm, silence

the noise dont bother me, ill sleep on a chickens lip, but as long as it dont wake the kids, im fine with it

when it wakes the kids, its subs against the wall, surround on full, bass all the way up, and my boys thrash the world on CoD

at 7am :proud: it sounds like fkin iraq lol

both houses shaking, and hung over people trying to find their way out to go home lol

If I knew my neighbour was a twat about these things, I wouldnt want to fuel the fire by drilling holes in the wall at 7pm. I'm sure there is probably no job that is so absolutly imperative it be done at that hour.

We can all say it's tit-for-tat, he makes a noise so then why cant I. Why stoop to this guys obviously lower level of life.

Kids will be kids, my neighbour has two children who drive me mad but I keep quiet because children will be children.

Drilling is something that can be done during the day unless it is an emergency, children make noise it's an unavoidable part of life so for me the 2 are not related.

Both my children are grown up but they would not have been up at 11pm until they were 16+ I wouldn't have allowed that but that is diverting from the thread.

From what the op said it was going to take a long time to drill the holes using low rpm and no hammer so I'm tempted to think the op was trying to windup his neighbour up for the reaction.

The comment

makes me think we are not being told the whole story here but I could be wrong.

I have never said its going to take a long time and the rpm is not that of a full speed hammer drill no but certainly does not take any longer than a hammer drill !

Your wrong about the whole story.

To conclude this thread, he knocked earlier and the first thing he said was "I am sorry about last night, I was out of order". I replied, "no problem", and extended my hand to shake his.. which he obliged.

he agreed that I could of used a much more powerful drill and scared the life out of everyone but I did not, I chose the quietest method... of which the other side do not even notice when I drill their side ?

It could not wait, we had a shelf fall down in the aux room that was to hold our newly purchased chinchilla's... so had to go up or they would of been blocking the hallway... to the toilet !

Back