advise pls- want mechanic for 1day cash in hand in poole

adam

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi all. further to my recent posts i have finally pulled the gearbox out of my 53 renault trafic. money is going down and stress going up as i realise i really need it on the road. i have yet to address the problem with the gearbox but when it or a replacement is ready to go in i was thinking it might be money well spent to get a mechanic to help me. 2 reasons for this. firstly i can probably reassemble everything but i expect that every 4th thing i attach i'll have to take off to reattach something i've missed, and i'll be a lot slower on my own. so being more of an assistant to someone else more knowledgeable should mean its ready quicker. secondly the insurance and mot ran out today and i'm under the impression that a proper mechanic will be insured to drive it to a mot station.
i expect the complete rebuild to be done within a day - is that about right?
am i right about the insurance?
i'm looking to offer £100 plus sunday roast, does that sound ok for the job or am i way out of touch?
any advise or offers appreciated
(btw i'll spot an apprentice a mile away so pls dont bother)

kindest regards

if you took it out mate you must know a bit about cars so i would advise to put it in yourself as if you get pulled by the police while taking it to the mot station its legal as long as you have insurance and its going for a mot hope this helps you a litle

cheers for your advice buddy but honestly i dont have any knowledge, my arm was twisted because i couldnt afford to pay for a repair so it was a take it apart and find out situation. also my insurance ran out today and i have no idea how you insure an un-mot'd vehicle just to get it to the garage (my record isnt perfect either)
thanks for your response mate

i should mention that taking apart a vehicle that you depend on for your families livelyhood with no clue what your doing is a very daunting and lonely experience, i wouldn't recommend it to anyone. when i offer £100 this is entirely a cash advance on a credit card, because it has to be worth it just to have someone that might have the foggiest what they're doing. the sooner this van is working the sooner i can get out of this van-debt crippling shithole of an experience that i am suffering. i honestly wouldnt wish this on anyone

Last edited:
Insurance- You can insure it if it has a mot or not mate, so long as it's only going to the test center then your covered with a valid cover note. Or just get a mate who can drive any vehicle third party to drive it there for you, most fully comp policy's have this written in ;)

as long as it's a pre-booked MOT (to stop crims using it as an excuse for driving an non-MOT'd car) you'll be for that. Just restart your insurance on that day

Insurance- You can insure it if it has a mot or not mate, so long as it's only going to the test center then your covered with a valid cover note. Or just get a mate who can drive any vehicle third party to drive it there for you, most fully comp policy's have this written in ;)

If the owner has NO insurance for the said vehicle, your Insurance will NOT cover you to drive it ,,fully comp will only cover you to drive other cars if the owner of the other car has insurance for it,the only way i know of ,is to get traders policy that will cover you to drive any car if it insured or not

Last edited:
If the owner has NO insurance for the said vehicle, your Insurance will NOT cover you to drive it ,,fully comp will only cover you to drive other cars if the owner of the other car has insurance for it,the only way i know of ,is to get traders policy that will cover you to drive any car if it insured or not

Wow, I did not know that.. I guess you learn something new every day

I can confirm, the veihcle must be insured. Then any driver with their own policy may drive it 3rd party (providing their policy allows this)

cheers for the help lads but yes a vehicle must be insured for someone elses fully comp/3rd party to work. also i'm led to believe that you cannot get that kind of insurance on a commercial vehicle. some kind of law that stops multiple people being insured on the same vehicle full stop. thats why i'm hoping a mechanic can help.
any more imput on the money i'm offering? i know its very low compared to garage prices but do you think its ok as a cash in hand offer?

Back