advice and comments please

Seems fine, but your CPU will need a cooler as it is OEM, also not sure what warranty you get iwth OEM products from Intel, I know AMD only give 1 year compared to 3 years if you buy retail boxed.

Also why such a high class board? Are you needing certain features for a specific reason? That board is the nuts mate, and with it being the 680i chipset I think you have made your mind up to go Nvidia for the graphcs card.

I think you were looking at SLI were you in another thread, or was that someone else?

If you are thinking of dual GPU, how long down the line will you be going for it? It's just with your 100 quid budget you really can't get a decent Nvidia card never mind 2 of them!

If it was not you thinking of SLI and I may be getting you mixed up with someone else then you can't go wrong the the ATI 3850 for 90 quid, on par with the 8800GTS 320mb which costs almost twice as much. One of those would work in that board perfect, but you could not crossfire them, at least I don;t you can, as that is a Nvidia board built for SLI and not Crossfire, times may have changed and you may be able to get by doing crossfire on SLI but never really checked.

Please explain why you chose that board as it may be overkill for your needs, you could get a great board for about 70 quid if you do not need specific features. Just trying to save you some cash mate.

Also on the RAM, if your not going to tighten it up and overclock it then you may as well get the Patriot stuff posted earlier and save yourself some cash as out of the box your not going to see any real difference in the two, the stuff you have listed is made for clocking the bollox of it mate, if you know what your doing then go for it, if not then just get the cheaper Patriot stuff (still very good ram and will also overclock pretty well if you need to) but it will save you even more cash.

EDIT:
Ignore my last comment about the ram, I have just seen the timings, for DDRII that is shit hot, and they look cool, feck it, BUY IT NOW, lol.

Cheers,

Col.

Last edited:
thanks alot for your response matey.

i chose that board because it seemed to have everything i needed now and in the future. the sli crossfire dont really worry that much as i only intend getting 1 graphics card for now.

i do want to use as a bit of a toy too to connect up to the tv up stairs and downstairs and also to use for sound upstairs. i looked for 3 days at mobo's(need a life lol) and just liked that 1 and its features, i fully intend to overclock it in time , as the kids will probabley be gaming on it also.

i will go down the g card route that you have specified and will now look into them because theres loaads of them 3850's lol.

again thanks alot matey much appreiated

With that much RAM go for a 64 bit OS.

Assuming you want everything from Aria so it all arrives together, Aria only have four 3850s on their stock list anyway: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products?search=3850

As a side note, see if Aria has all your stuff at their Manchester warehouse, if so save on postage by collecting.

yeah thanks they have all in stock

i will go don tomorow its only 2 miles away..

Also if your budget can stretch to it, maybe consider the 512mb version of the 3850. Have not seen any benchmarks for the 512 but I assume it would benefit, the core is certainly powerful to access all 512mb.

Would come in handy for tomorrows games if you know what I mean.

If you intend to to play games seriously, the lower latency of the first set will be better.

If its just for the kids to play games the second set will be fine.

But... a 32bit OS will not see more than 4Gb of RAM (and that takes some tweaking and a mobo that supports memory remapping)

I think 8gb is going a bit extreme mate, 4gb will be plenty for a while yet, especially at those timings, but please note that to get those timings you will have to stick with the board you have chosen, any other board and it will relax the timings meaning you have just wasted your cash on ubber ram.

And as pob has stated, to benefit from more than 3gb of ram you will need to run a 64bit OS.

I think you should be ok running 4gb of that stuff on a 32bit OS, not really sure to be honest, I think it will just acces 3.5gb or whatever, not sure if you will encounter any problems with stability.

Have never really pushed 4gb in a board personally.

ok guys im going with post 1 just need to add a card now. will a 385o work in that motherboard not bothered about 2 cards (for now at least)

cheers guys

madmanc check out the Thermaltake Big Typhoon cooler for your CPU. I have one on my Q6600 and it idles at 30C and load at 50C. I can OC up to 3.4 easily.

Zalman fans are noisy and I would never buy one again.

Dont worry too much about a HD GC as your CPU has enough horses to software decode 1080p content without breaking a sweat. If you're planning on gaming then its a different story. I have a old 7800 GTX which still plays all new games at high res without any problems.

Back