Adding an SSD ?

Proz

Inactive User
Reaction score
Good Morning All

Now I'm getting into the H2S is it easy to add an SSD instead of the 16gb memory stick ?
I have a spare 120gb solid state disk lying around so I assume just stick it in an enclosure and in the menu to storage and initialize etc ?
Will I have to add the picons manually afterwards ?

Thank You

Good Morning All

Now I'm getting into the H2S is it easy to add an SSD instead of the 16gb memory stick ?
I have a spare 120gb solid state disk lying around so I assume just stick it in an enclosure and in the menu to storage and initialize etc ?
Will I have to add the picons manually afterwards ?

Thank You

Only way would be in a external enclosure via the usb port, just a matter of mounting it then and transfer the picons.

Only way would be in a external enclosure via the usb port, just a matter of mounting it then and transfer the picons.

All done now .... now have a 120Gb ssd to record on and save back ups etc.
I love this forum :)

A complete waste of an ssd.

Just buy a cheap external hard drive or usb flash drive.

A complete waste of an ssd.

Just buy a cheap external hard drive or usb flash drive.
Why is it a waste if it wasn't being used ?
My laptop has two SSD's in raid ... my back ups are all done to a NAS ... this was lying un-used in the drawer so not really a waste to me. Theres no spinning up and no noise .... Works for me .

the only downside to external HD is you have to unplug it when you need to reflash the box, not a big issue but just extra messing at back of box, if only zgemma would make a model with option for internal HD

the only downside to external HD is you have to unplug it when you need to reflash the box, not a big issue but just extra messing at back of box, if only zgemma would make a model with option for internal HD

I was told keeping the box a budget box was the reason no internal hdd feature was in the pipeline.

How much would that add to manufacture ? Would be worth an extra tenner in my opinion.

I've 320GB. Cost £24 works perfect.
But never an issue with mains being turned off. Just work as usual.
As long as HDD is "EXT4" format and its mounted AND initialisation done will work perfect.
You will lose memory after you format.
format of 320GB - 300GB avaliable.
format of 750GB - 680GB avaliable.

I've 320GB. Cost £24 works perfect.
But never an issue with mains being turned off. Just work as usual.
As long as HDD is "EXT4" format and its mounted AND initialisation done will work perfect.
You will lose memory after you format.
format of 320GB - 300GB avaliable.
format of 750GB - 680GB avaliable.

I don't understand .... whats the difference between ext3 and ext4 ?

Last edited:
So I just go into the menu and the option for change ext3 to ext4 will do the necessary business for me ? Will it format the drive or will the contents remain ie picons etc.

So I just go into the menu and the option for change ext3 to ext4 will do the necessary business for me ? Will it format the drive or will the contents remain ie picons etc.
I'm not aware of zgemma has that option to upscale from EXT3 to EXT4
(could be wrong)
I format the HD on computer then mount and initialise it.
Windows does not support that format so you will need third party formatting tool.
You will lose anything you format so backup anything of importance first. Then FTP anything you need back into HD as Windows won't allow you to transfer via USB to computer.

I know its a little old but the zGemma 2S (if running an EXT3 partition) definitely gives the option to upgrade to EXT4, the differences are as follows:

Ext3

• Ext3 stands for third extended file system.
  • It was introduced in 2001. Developed by Stephen Tweedie.
  • Starting from Linux Kernel 2.4.15 ext3 was available.
  • The main benefit of ext3 is that it allows journaling.
  • Journaling has a dedicated area in the file system, where all the changes are tracked. When the system crashes, the possibility of file system corruption is less because of journaling.
  • Maximum individual file size can be from 16 GB to 2 TB
  • Overall ext3 file system size can be from 2 TB to 32 TB
  • There are three types of journaling available in ext3 file system.
    • Journal – Metadata and content are saved in the journal.
    • Ordered – Only metadata is saved in the journal. Metadata are journaled only after writing the content to disk. This is the default.
    • Writeback – Only metadata is saved in the journal. Metadata might be journaled either before or after the content is written to the disk.
Ext4

• Ext4 stands for fourth extended file system.
  • It was introduced in 2008.
  • Starting from Linux Kernel 2.6.19 ext4 was available.
  • Supports huge individual file size and overall file system size.
  • Maximum individual file size can be from 16 GB to 16 TB
  • Overall maximum ext4 file system size is 1 EB (exabyte). 1 EB = 1024 PB (petabyte). 1 PB = 1024 TB (terabyte).
  • Directory can contain a maximum of 64,000 subdirectories (as opposed to 32,000 in ext3)
  • You can also mount an existing ext3 fs as ext4 fs (without having to upgrade it).
  • Several other new features are introduced in ext4: multiblock allocation, delayed allocation, journal checksum. fast fsck, etc. All you need to know is that these new features have improved the performance and reliability of the filesystem when compared to ext3.
  • In ext4, you also have the option of turning the journaling feature “off”.

Last edited:
Back