a quick freeview question...

jamesyboyjim

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi guys, i know its a long way off but i was just wondering, if and when there is hd content over dvb t (freeview) would all these many hd ready tv's that have internal freeview tuners be capable of displaying it? i know the screens would be obviously but would the tuner / software / whatever processes the thingymabob?

I believe Freeview HD is expected to be h.264, and most Freeview enabled TVs can only handle MPEG2. In which case, it's a no.

The main problem is dvb-t2 for freeview hd. Thats a new modulation method and no dvb-t2 tuners are on the market till yet. The normal dvb-t tuners are not able to handle such a signal independently if there is a mpeg4 decoder behind or not.

seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot there a little,

how frustrating that'll be for the average user who bought a hdtv with freeview, it'll mean another settop box !!

seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot there a little,

how frustrating that'll be for the average user who bought a hdtv with freeview, it'll mean another settop box !!
You can't buy any technology these days that isn't at least somewhat outdated by the time you get it out of the box.

You can't buy any technology these days that isn't at least somewhat outdated by the time you get it out of the box.

i suppose so, but it does have the sense of, how do i word it, 'lost purpose'? where you've bought a hdtv that cant decode hd programming without a box!

Back