A new spider model out!!

It looks a lot nicer in Smartbox 6000 HD guise that spider box is one ugly M....F....

hd6000hs2745artwork.jpg

As a 9000hd owner this is slightly disappointing. I love the wifi option & of course the 7 day epg is what the 9000 is badly missing. On the minus side only 6000 chans & the usb on the front only (front & back would be ideal). Also a twin tuner would have made this (for me anyway) perfect. As i have no interest in the "gift" anymore I would prob be paying for that as well rather than a better spec.Will have to hang on & see if another better spec model comes out to replace the 9000hd, they can sometimes follow pretty quickly I guess. Also seems strange that its existence has not been officially confirmed on Darkmans site. Any ideas why ??

As a 9000hd owner this is slightly disappointing. I love the wifi option & of course the 7 day epg is what the 9000 is badly missing. On the minus side only 6000 chans & the usb on the front only (front & back would be ideal). Also a twin tuner would have made this (for me anyway) perfect. As i have no interest in the "gift" anymore I would prob be paying for that as well rather than a better spec.Will have to hang on & see if another better spec model comes out to replace the 9000hd, they can sometimes follow pretty quickly I guess. Also seems strange that its existence has not been officially confirmed on Darkmans site. Any ideas why ??

The thing is this receiver packs a lot in for the price and please remember not everyone wants all the extras you do and to provide them for all would raise the price considerably.
The gift is one of the main reasons people buy the Spiderbox that and the ease of setup, you can have one of these working straight out of the box in about three minutes flat.
You don't need to learn Linux you don't need to download other software to transfer this that and the other into the receiver, just a usb stick and your there.
I see you have no interest in the gift but it serves as a very good introduction as to what is possible and does provide a lot of entertainment as well.

the optibox spider has 7 day EPG and twin tuner, and its gift even includes 28e.
there are two for sale in the classified section at a bargain price. this maybe a shameless plug

Jimmy Does it have a client services on the menu
the same as the 9000hd.

Hi Jimi, all the things you say, are of course, absolutely correct & are the reason that as a sat enthusiast I started using the spiderbox in the first place to get a foothold into what then was the secretive & mysterious world of cs ! I understand that the rule of thumb seems to be that that you should move onto a linux box, but I dont really have the time or the inclination to do this. What I was getting at was a lot of people have moved on from needing the gift & would would benefit from a slightly higher end non linux box. It seems that its easy to find reasonably priced linux boxes that have everything I have mentioned (plenty of chans, 7 day epg, wi fi,twin tuner etc) but on a non linux box it seems almost impossible to find on a well know, well supported brand. I can see why the spider 6000 is priced & speced as it is, to compete against numerous other stbs, but I cant see why someone cant bring a non linux box out to compete with the mid priced linux boxes. Perhaps im the only person who has this wish :Dunce: So,can I assume from your answer that you dont think a slightly higher end model will be coming out to replace the 9000 in future ?

Cheers

The thing is this receiver packs a lot in for the price and please remember not everyone wants all the extras you do and to provide them for all would raise the price considerably.
The gift is one of the main reasons people buy the Spiderbox that and the ease of setup, you can have one of these working straight out of the box in about three minutes flat.
You don't need to learn Linux you don't need to download other software to transfer this that and the other into the receiver, just a usb stick and your there.
I see you have no interest in the gift but it serves as a very good introduction as to what is possible and does provide a lot of entertainment as well.

Last edited:
Hi Jimi, all the things you say, are of course, absolutely correct & are the reason that as a sat enthusiast I started using the spiderbox in the first place to get a foothold into what then was the secretive & mysterious world of cs ! I understand that the rule of thumb seems to be that that you should move onto a linux box, but I dont really have the time or the inclination to do this. What I was getting at was a lot of people have moved on from needing the gift & would would benefit from a slightly higher end non linux box. It seems that its easy to find reasonably priced linux boxes that have everything I have mentioned (plenty of chans, 7 day epg, wi fi,twin tuner etc) but on a non linux box it seems almost impossible to find on a well know, well supported brand. I can see why the spider 6000 is priced & speced as it is, to compete against numerous other stbs, but I cant see why someone cant bring a non linux box out to compete with the mid priced linux boxes. Perhaps im the only person who has this wish :Dunce: So,can I assume from your answer that you dont think a slightly higher end model will be coming out to replace the 9000 in future ?

Cheers

All you say is true but the step from say a Spiderbox to a Linux based receiver is not that big a challenge in truth.
Now lets make it clear, for ease and simplicity of installation receivers like say the Spiderbox and Technomate TM5302/5402 are a piece of cake for most as you just need a usb stick and a few minutes and away you go.
I and I'm sure all our members will know someone who simply cant handle a piece of electronic equipment be it a DVD recorder/Freeveiw/Freesat receiver or even the time controls on a central heating clock this is not their fault it's just that their skills lie in other area's.
I would not dream of stripping my car engine and putting it back together but my son can do this easily, but he's lost if I tell him to install a transponder in his satellite receiver, whats simple to him is difficult for me and whats simple for me is difficult for him, that's life some people are better at somethings than others.
Sorry rambling a bit but I'm sure you get my meaning, now as I said before Linux receivers are not that difficult where we see difficulty is (in my mind) the way members who are familiar with the subject assume the reader is also familiar with the terms he uses and you see sentences like "ftp into/this/that/the other/folder" without any explanation what an ftp is or where you would find the folder. BUT when you do grasp what is going on the scales fall from your eyes and suddenly it's not difficult at all in fact it's just a small step in learning. You will kick yourself that you ever found it difficult as it's not, it's really seeing what the poster is saying then carrying out the process.
I would say don't wait for the ideal receiver to arrive it never will, if you want what you've outlined above then get a Linux receiver that meets your requirements and have a go, you might get a few hours of frustration (I did) but then the blinding flash of understanding and you've mastered the subject!!
Remember the Spiderbox receivers are great, simple to install/setup/use and my 9000 combo has given my three years of enjoyable viewing, if you want to delve deeper then go ahead there's plenty of choice.
P.S. I also have a VU+Solo and their not as bad to setup as I feared, we always fear the unkown!!

Last edited:
hiya.. hope im allowed to chip in..
followed the posts with interest,,I have a spider 9000 hd right now and its been truly amazing.. Im sure the 6000hd is very similar , in that its a joy to operate and i love the channel menu... ware one clicks on EG 30w and one can add/delete channels with ease..providing of course the dish is in the right direction

hiya.. hope im allowed to chip in..
followed the posts with interest,,I have a spider 9000 hd right now and its been truly amazing.. Im sure the 6000hd is very similar , in that its a joy to operate and i love the channel menu... ware one clicks on EG 30w and one can add/delete channels with ease..providing of course the dish is in the right direction

Everyone's allowed to chip in mate, sometimes things get a bit heated but that's understandable, members have their own favorite make of receiver!! Most times I think it's down to familiarity with one brand you get used to doing things one way and are reluctant to change but that's life.
What I've found over the years is that members who own a particular make of receiver are more likely to make positive posts on that brand.
Members who don't own the receiver in question are more likely to make negative posts (but praise the make of receiver they own) still thats life (bit like football really).

Thanks for the heads up Theblueirish,even if it is a shameless plug :Clap:. I will look at the merits of this stb, although getting confusing with all these different spiderboxes about !

Thanks for the heads up Theblueirish,even if it is a shameless plug :Clap:. I will look at the merits of this stb, although getting confusing with all these different spiderboxes about !

The Optibox is NOTa Spiderbox they have just used part of the Spiderbox name, dont be mislead.

The Optibox is NOTa Spiderbox they have just used part of the Spiderbox name, dont be mislead.

I don't think anyone was trying to mislead him. I was just making the remark that the Optibox has twin tuners and has the 7 day EPG.

There two receivers are very similar in description not just in name but in the way they are sold, i.e. with a IKS gift.
In my opinion if you are a spiderbox fan (which i am not) and you want a twin tuner option this is the only thing available that runs with the gift like the spiderbox 9000 does only with the added extra of channels on 28e being open.
It also has timeshift and recording simultaneously and the ability to run the IKS without a broadband connection. ( i haven't tried this).

No probs with this guys. I worked out that this wasnt a "traditional" spiderbox. I was only making the point that because its called a spiderbox in its title that it could get confusing for people, especially with the new 6000hd coming out.

I don't think anyone was trying to mislead him. I was just making the remark that the Optibox has twin tuners and has the 7 day EPG.

There two receivers are very similar in description not just in name but in the way they are sold, i.e. with a IKS gift.
In my opinion if you are a spiderbox fan (which i am not) and you want a twin tuner option this is the only thing available that runs with the gift like the spiderbox 9000 does only with the added extra of channels on 28e being open.
It also has timeshift and recording simultaneously and the ability to run the IKS without a broadband connection. ( i haven't tried this).

I'm sorry but you call it an "optibox spider" in your post, you are posting in the Spiderbox section so a novice might well think it is a new Spiderbox receiver.
As for talking about channels on 28.2 you should know better.

I'm sorry but you call it an "optibox spider" in your post, you are posting in the Spiderbox section so a novice might well think it is a new Spiderbox receiver.
As for talking about channels on 28.2 you should know better.

Without being pedantic or starting a petty argument I do not call it a optibox spider. it is marketed and branded as "Optibox Spider HD"

I was posting in the spiderbox section as I was trying to give a helpful reply to a poster who stated that "Also a twin tuner would have made this (for me anyway) perfect" to show him that there were other options out there in a similar vein. Are we not allowed to mention Technomate in the dreambox section?

Without being pedantic or starting a petty argument I do not call it a optibox spider. it is marketed and branded as "Optibox Spider HD"

I was posting in the spiderbox section as I was trying to give a helpful reply to a poster who stated that "Also a twin tuner would have made this (for me anyway) perfect" to show him that there were other options out there in a similar vein. Are we not allowed to mention Technomate in the dreambox section?

OK here's your post and you did call it an Optibox spider, it would appear that member viduka had to work out it in his words was not a traditional spider so clearly you post did mislead at least one member albeit for a short time.
I'm not saying that it is not a well made receiver just we all need to take care when posting to avoid confusion, good luck with your sale.

"the optibox spider has 7 day EPG and twin tuner, and its gift even includes 28e.
there are two for sale in the classified section at a bargain price. this maybe a shameless plug"

Jimi, i think its plain to see what i meant by saying i didn't call it a Optibox Spider is that it is actually called Optibox Spider.

I know you are a moderator on the support forum that supplies Spider boxes and I would guess you see the Optibox as a threat to the launch of the new Spiderbox 6000HD as it has options that new buyers may find better than the Spiderbox and it is in your interest to point out that the Optibox is not a Spiderbox.

Personally speaking I do not like spider boxes, i bought the two i have for sale for a customer who now no longer wants them as they do not update a white card. I set the two boxes up and in my opinion they are very very similar to the spider boxes that I have set up for customers.

I don't think continuing this is of benefit to anyone in the forum and I will unsubscribe from the thread.

Good luck in your promotion of the new Spider (not opti) box.

Jimi, i think its plain to see what i meant by saying i didn't call it a Optibox Spider is that it is actually called Optibox Spider.

I know you are a moderator on the support forum that supplies Spider boxes and I would guess you see the Optibox as a threat to the launch of the new Spiderbox 6000HD as it has options that new buyers may find better than the Spiderbox and it is in your interest to point out that the Optibox is not a Spiderbox.

Personally speaking I do not like spider boxes, i bought the two i have for sale for a customer who now no longer wants them as they do not update a white card. I set the two boxes up and in my opinion they are very very similar to the spider boxes that I have set up for customers.

I don't think continuing this is of benefit to anyone in the forum and I will unsubscribe from the thread.

Good luck in your promotion of the new Spider (not opti) box.

You are wrong my status on any other forum has nothing to do with this. YOU posted in the Spiderbox section simply to plug the sale of the two receivers you bought that dont do what you wanted.
You will see from my previous posts that I often refer to the TM receivers and in no way promote the Spiderbox above them, if I post more in this section it is because I own the 9000combo and able to answer most members problems with their Spiderbox receivers.
I have been retired for the last three years and have nothing to gain from "promoting" the Spiderbox receivers over any other I'm simply here to help where I can.

Back