A new spider model out!!

woo i cant believe what blue irish wrote.. why be so dam nasty!!!!!

i have had a spider for 3 years (9000 hd) and its been fabulous,,
there is no way jim is promptong spiders... infact i would say he has been dam helpful. infact every topic if a member is not sure he helps.

woo i cant believe what blue irish wrote.. why be so dam nasty!!!!!

I disagree and cannot believe you think it was nasty,

Its a difference of opinion only nothing more or less so lets not try make it anything else please,

As for jimi,yes he has been extremely helpful since he joined up here and usually sorts out most spiderbox problem posts

Interesting post Jimi. One thing I am confused about with this subject is what benefits can a linux stb bring that a closed source such as spiderbox cannot. This is assuming that the person buying one is not intending to do any cs with anyone else. TBH I have read many threads but have never seemed to have seen an answer to this question. Cheers.

All you say is true but the step from say a Spiderbox to a Linux based receiver is not that big a challenge in truth.
Now lets make it clear, for ease and simplicity of installation receivers like say the Spiderbox and Technomate TM5302/5402 are a piece of cake for most as you just need a usb stick and a few minutes and away you go.
I and I'm sure all our members will know someone who simply cant handle a piece of electronic equipment be it a DVD recorder/Freeveiw/Freesat receiver or even the time controls on a central heating clock this is not their fault it's just that their skills lie in other area's.
I would not dream of stripping my car engine and putting it back together but my son can do this easily, but he's lost if I tell him to install a transponder in his satellite receiver, whats simple to him is difficult for me and whats simple for me is difficult for him, that's life some people are better at somethings than others.
Sorry rambling a bit but I'm sure you get my meaning, now as I said before Linux receivers are not that difficult where we see difficulty is (in my mind) the way members who are familiar with the subject assume the reader is also familiar with the terms he uses and you see sentences like "ftp into/this/that/the other/folder" without any explanation what an ftp is or where you would find the folder. BUT when you do grasp what is going on the scales fall from your eyes and suddenly it's not difficult at all in fact it's just a small step in learning. You will kick yourself that you ever found it difficult as it's not, it's really seeing what the poster is saying then carrying out the process.
I would say don't wait for the ideal receiver to arrive it never will, if you want what you've outlined above then get a Linux receiver that meets your requirements and have a go, you might get a few hours of frustration (I did) but then the blinding flash of understanding and you've mastered the subject!!
Remember the Spiderbox receivers are great, simple to install/setup/use and my 9000 combo has given my three years of enjoyable viewing, if you want to delve deeper then go ahead there's plenty of choice.
P.S. I also have a VU+Solo and their not as bad to setup as I feared, we always fear the unkown!!

Interesting post Jimi. One thing I am confused about with this subject is what benefits can a linux stb bring that a closed source such as spiderbox cannot. This is assuming that the person buying one is not intending to do any cs with anyone else. TBH I have read many threads but have never seemed to have seen an answer to this question. Cheers.

Linux receivers can download a range of plug in's which greatly enhance their flexibility also direct downloads of patches, channel lists, softkeys.
Once you have the hang of things then it's about as easy as Spiderbox, just needs a bit of head scratching until the penny drops.

Any linux box but especially E2 boxes beat the spider hands down.

That said, had a spider for a good few years and it is very well built box. Still serves me very well today. Personally don`t think it handle a line as well as a linux box but its still stable enough with the right one.

The new spider is not a darkman supported product (not that it should matter) from what i can gather but seems to represent very good value for money given the price.

Jimi in my experience is as helpful as they come but cant see that BI did anything wrong he was simply offering up a product that is similar - just a little difference of opinion.

Its a forum not a marriage guidance session.

heres the latest firmware with a few bug fixs... thanks to SP/@compass for the files. N.B. softcam is for 7000/9000/9900hd and is untested so could anyone post feedback if it works on a 6000hd. regards mdt

Attachments

• SpiderboxPatch.HD6000_05_03.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
  • Spiderbox HD Softcam.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
heres the latest firmware with a few bug fixs... thanks to SP/@compass for the files. N.B. softcam is for 7000/9000/9900hd and is untested so could anyone post feedback if it works on a 6000hd. regards mdt

For the time being please use the SD softcam not the HD one.

Attachments

• Spiderbox SD Softcam.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 4
tnks jimi for your suport.. my friend is awaiting his new 6000.
and reports suggest its very promising,,,

tnks jimi for your suport.. my friend is awaiting his new 6000.
and reports suggest its very promising,,,

He wont be disappointed, use the patch in MDT's post above as it's the latest released but use the SD softcam in my post, if he gets stuck just post here or Pm me and we'll have it going in a couple of minutes.

Here's my channels list to give him a quick start note I use USALS so if he's motorized then he needs to enter his coordinates.

Be careful with FAV8 contains adult channels unlocked.

Attachments

• user050513.zip
    150.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Updated list
Here's my channels list to give him a quick start note I use USALS so if he's motorized then he needs to enter his coordinates.

Be careful with FAV8 contains adult channels unlocked.

Attachments

• user170513.zip
    151.4 KB · Views: 6
is 6000hd the latest model?

The Smartbox/Spiderbox HD6000 are indeed one of the newer receivers, I'm not sure who is manufacturing them and in honesty I would say they are not of the same build quality as the HD9000/9000 combo BUT they are not the same price either!!
They are great value for money and you have the choice of a cable connection to your router or using the built in Wi-Fi connection both connections methods are built in to the receiver.
I would say the software now is very good but there are still a few improvements being added and I would hope a final patch will be released soon.
As of now you have a 1 years built in IKS and can add lines if you wish.

Back