5G Worth the move?

Be careful when doing speed tests using your mobile data, they eat loads.
My sim is "free" with my package. Not sure how much data I get with it but I don't think it's a lot. I do occasionally see a 50p charge for my sim but reckon that's when I've listened to missed calls.

My sim is "free" with my package. Not sure how much data I get with it but I don't think it's a lot. I do occasionally see a 50p charge for my sim but reckon that's when I've listened to missed calls.
Install the "Virgin media connect" app or the "my virgin media" app.
Turn off wifi whilst you set the app up, it will get the details from your sim and display your monthly allowance.

Mine was whoosh deal which had 5gb inc which rolled up to 10gb max
Honestly don't know what mine is. I'm on oomph package. I installed @Kryton idea but any attempt to find my package details comes up with "Oops something went wrong". I am going to have a good look on their website at half time :p

EDIT ***** Had a look. It's 5gb so a little more than I realised.

Last edited:
Apparently 5G is a way of Bill Gates installing a chip in your DNA and control your limps.

Apparently 5G is a way of Bill Gates installing a chip in your DNA and control your limps.
Theres only 1 place im limp.
I bet it cant control that 🤣

I have recently upgraded to 5G but still only get 4G half the time and sometimes 5G seems slower than 4G … if your in the right place it can be super fast but it all depends on where you are when you’re using it. The annoying part is where your in range for 5G to show connected but the connection is slower than 4G! They really need to make it switch to 4G when its not a good 5G signal and only use the 5G when theres a benefit from it. For casual infrequent mobile 5G use it wont likely make much difference to you it will only be a benefit if your doing something data intensive and are in range for a good signal.

I like the ‘at times’ there hehehe … dare I ask how often you get that speed ? Does it ever get down to a crawl or is it mostly ok ?

Not sure I could use just 5G for home internet I like a physical cable

I like the ‘at times’ there hehehe … dare I ask how often you get that speed ? Does it ever get down to a crawl or is it mostly ok ?

Not sure I could use just 5G for home internet I like a physical cable

On average i get about 200Mb download but it can be very slow at times when they are working on the cells or when bad weather but i can just switch to other cell towers to improve the speeds if i need. For me Mobile is like the only option i have to get more than 3Mb download so I dont have any other option plus its dog cheap at €25 per month.

Speeds have really gone down hill in the last 6 months with more people getting 5G phones. I was getting on average over 350Mb this time last year. worse thing about mobile is congestion and the more with 5G phones and 5G packages the slower it will be.

We are getting 400mb and above most the time(peak rate) on the 3 5g home broadband router but I guess this could change and that is why I took the month-by-month contract at £24.00 instead of signing up to 24 months.

Just tried some tests on my phone as depending where I am in the house I get 4G or 5G

Downstairs on 4G = 30ms ping 65Mb down 2 bars of signal - test loaded quickly

Downstairs (near a window on 5G) = first attempt wouldn’t load at all, it gave an error second attempt = 40ms ping 74Mb down 3 bars of signal - test took a while to load and ‘find a server’

Upstairs on 4G = 44ms ping 90Mb down 2bars of signal - test loaded fairly quick but took a bit longer to find a server than first 4G try

Upstairs on 5G (by the window to keep 5G connection 🤣) = 37ms ping 227Mb down and 4 bars of signal again took quite a long time to load and ‘find a server’

Will have to try in town at some point should be really good signal there and fast wonder what it will go up to then if any more at all…

My 5g router is sat in a upstairs bedroom next to the window. I even lifted it slightly to get the best signal.

Was out for drinkypoos with a couple of friends on Monday afternoon. Was nearer to the 5g mast so did a speedtest again and got 237mbps. Was so fast pages were loading before I even selected them 😂
Thats was the drink mate. Whetherpoons 10am was it 😄

I see over 500mb where im am but could literally hit the mast with a stone. Not seen it below 500mb i may be doing what @kegnkiwi had done and fully switch to 5G with an external ariel Yagi or somat aimed at the mast to get the best from it.

Back