5G Worth the move?

dar1437

Worldz Biggest Oddball
VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a Motorola G5G last Xmas expecting wonders. Turns out it was a waste of money. 4G is more than sufficient for my needs. I noticed a very similar spec Motorola phone for around £100 (4G)
This one cost £250. So i spent £150 for something i can do without. :)

'5G makes my phone pretty worthless'

I suppose once it's been rolled out properly 10 years, it will be good to go, but at the moment, no! Lol

We are just moving over to 5g home broadband, I have a router and have been testing it for two weeks and have actually turned the virgin connection off. All is working fine at present.

5g is far superior to 4g. The problem is that users buy into the technology before the infrastructure is properly available in their location and still expect results. The 5g network can deliver faster speeds over a shorter distance than 4g so requires more masts to cover that specific area.

The story shows 5g being reported as half the speed of 4g in a certain location. The difference being that the 4g infrastructure is already well established and the user is likely on the outskirts of the 5g mast coverage.

EDIT...The part where a train commuter is complaining about 5g is laughable. Won't be the case in a few years time though.

My phone is 5G capable, but we don’t have 5G in our area. Newer phones will have the capability but if the infrastructure is not in place, then you just use 4G simple.

My phone is 5G capable, but we don’t have 5G in our area. Newer phones will have the capability but if the infrastructure is not in place, then you just use 4G simple.
Ya mine has it also, had a 5G sim it was pants

I wonder if the people using the 5g phones are using the 02 network? I had giffgaff and although it was saying i was in a 5g area they were really only giving 4g speeds. When I went into a proper 5g area i could get 200-300mb. I now use lebara (vodafone) and most of the time is 4g or 4G+ and i can get better speeds that the mrs on giffgaff with a 5 connection.

from my experience, 101% NO!

I went from 2 phones (work and personal, a Samsung S7 and an A51) to one multisim phone, a Samsung S20+ 5G.

One of the 2 worst 'mobile' decisions ive ever made

My work uses all online paperwork for jobs, work is EE, and personal is Vodafone, so, merging the 2 when my S7 started having issues, and id recently been given the A51 and started playing with multisim seemed the ideal choice

I thought that going for 5G would also improve things. 2 phones down to 1, multi network for better coverage in the 1 phone, and lightning fast 5G

What a crock of $h!t

When i do have a 5G connection, its so slow that it 75% of the time times out, plus, it KILLS my battery (which is another issue i have with this phone)

The only way i can stop this, is to constantly have my phone in battery saver mode to stop it trying to connect to the 5G network (yes, ive already changed all of the sim settings), but, this then stops other apps from working properly, as battery saver kills background processes

Theres a load more i could post, but im just about to have grub, and, dont get me started on the samsung watch 4 that im mega pi$$ed off with (thats my 2nd biggest mobile regret)

but, tldr; dont buy a 5G phone, and dont buy an LTE watch, theyre NOT worth the extra money over 4G and bluetooth

Digidude I've got a cellular galaxy watch but have never used it as such. I preferred the longer battery so keep it in Bluetooth mode.

I'm on Virginmedia and dont really have any problems with my Galaxy S21.

When connected to 5G i generally get anything between 100mbps to 500mbps depending on signal, it switches between 4G, 4G+ and 5G seamlessly.
If you do get a problem such a battery drain (Android) you can go into "mobile networks / network modes" and select 4G/3G/2G (auto connect) and it will not connect to the 5G network until you change back.

Screenshot_20221202_233717_Call settings.jpg

I had never noticed whether I was getting a 5g signal on my Mi 11. To be honest I don't go far now and I'm always on wi-fi at home. I only use 1 sim in my phone which is Virgin, "free" with my package.
I've just tested so turned my wireless off and it showed as 5g. Signal was hovering between 1 and 3. A speedtest showed 106Mbps download and 5.06 upload. I then selected 4g and ran the test again, signal level 3 to 4 where I got 45.4 down and 2.11 up.
Wireless back on and got 63Mbps down and 3.2Mbps up on wi-fi 5 but get 724Mbps down and 51Mbps up on wi-fi 6.

5g considerably faster than 4g here, Town centre of sunny Nunny. :p

I had never noticed whether I was getting a 5g signal on my Mi 11. To be honest I don't go far now and I'm always on wi-fi at home. I only use 1 sim in my phone which is Virgin, "free" with my package.
I've just tested so turned my wireless off and it showed as 5g. Signal was hovering between 1 and 3. A speedtest showed 106Mbps download and 5.06 upload. I then selected 4g and ran the test again, signal level 3 to 4 where I got 45.4 down and 2.11 up.
Wireless back on and got 63Mbps down and 3.2Mbps up on wi-fi 5 but get 724Mbps down and 51Mbps up on wi-fi 6.

5g considerably faster than 4g here, Town centre of sunny Nunny. :p
Be careful when doing speed tests using your mobile data, they eat loads.

Back